My blow-dryer sparks. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Special-t, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2009

If you have money to spend, I recommend that brand, T3.

2. Draconius

Draconius New Member

Jul 23, 2015

It's not a really big deal...

Mines has been sparking ever since I purchased it, but only does so when the temperature gets too warm. Then it cools down a bit before sparking again to get warmer. I mentioned it to my mom and she immediately made me stop using it. She thinks it's dangerous because the other blowdryer she used was making a really loud noise for a week and suddenly started to blow smoke when she used it. The noises were really loud and sounded like paper clips in a paper shredder. My dad failed to notice the problem, as did my mom until that happened. I've had my own experience like that, but it was more explosive. I was in a hotel and I was blow drying my hair. I was really unnerved by the sounds coming from the dryer and how hot it seemed to be getting. Neither my mom nor dad seemed to care about the sound and my mom was getting annoyed at how I was holding the blowdryer as far as possible on low setting. Just before my hair was half dry, there was a small explosion and some sparks flew out of it along with some smoke. The room smelled funny for a while, thats for sure. There were no sparks in either incident, just a very ominous sounding noise that can't ever mean good news (like a giant black funnel cloud outside your window slowly inching down). The spark, in my opinion, is a built in saftey feature to PREVENT the explosive deaths of low cost blowdryers, but once it stops sparking, you should be concerned, in my opinion.