My annual "I've done jack squat" this summer break thread....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jul 7, 2018.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2018

Haha. I love it!

2. Aces

Aces Rookie

Jul 7, 2018

Evvvvviiiillllllllll! Hah. Personally I have fun with it too so I can't blame you entirely. I love when we do the trebuchet lab which is usually last. If I suspect a group isnt actually doing the math I will sneak in a larger projectile (or smaller) which throws off the how far it will go part.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. RaiderFan87

RaiderFan87 Rookie

Jul 8, 2018

My sleep schedule is waaaaay off (as it usually is throughout the summer). I've been going to bed at 2am most days. I'm normally in bed by 9pm on school nights.

Aces likes this.
  4. Aces

Aces Rookie

Jul 8, 2018

Same. Of course I do that on school nights bad to.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2018

Hahahahaha! Yes, give in to the dark side. Let it consume you, lol!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Aces likes this.
  6. Aces

Aces Rookie

Jul 8, 2018

At least I have a legitimate teaching excuse! I change the projectile, they don't adjust their formulas, they're way off target. Thus, didn't learn anything.

7. JimG

JimG Companion

Jul 8, 2018

Not me. I’ve got a new AP prep next year. Every bit I plan now will equate to less stress and/or less non-contract hours spent working during the school year. Our daughter goes to daycare two days a week during the summer to keep in that routine and hold her spot for next year; I take advantage of that time and focus on planning (unless a ‘honey-do’ list eats into that time lol).

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2018

My problem is I have started a few projects and then left them to start other projects. Right now I have boxes in the living room. I have a project on my desk and then my lesson plan book laying next to the bed with a couple TE books for math and reading. Plus today's project is to layout my class room on paper and try to figure somethings out. I keep telling my husband I will really need to finish at least one of these projects. But alas I sit and watch Netflix and play on the computer. Although today I really thought about going to my room to work. Maybe tomorrow I will finish something.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 8, 2018

I never do anything school related in the summer. My school changes so much every year that it would be a complete waste of time; anything I'd try to do would very likely have to be redone when school starts and I figure out what all the new changes are. Also working in sped, I'm not just following a regular yearly curriculum that I can start prepping for or anything like that. It all depends on which kids I have and what their needs are. We have a very transient population, so it's not even worth trying to gather that information at the end of the school year. It'd be the same situation with me having to redo all of the work when I figured out how many of those kids left and how many new kids moved in.

Backroads likes this.
  10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:04 AM

I've now seen three movies: The Incredibles 2, Jurassic World 2, and Ant man and the Wasp.

I can't wait for Infinity War to be released on DVD so I can re-watch it. It was a good movie!
    :)

I'm also writing again in addition to applying for jobs. I'm hoping to snag one before summer's end.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:41 AM

The only work I would do over the summer is paid summer school or paid curriculum writing. I'm not working for free over the summer.

12. Aces

Aces Rookie

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:27 PM

We did go to the beach this weekend. I wasn't careful as I should have been apparently, because I got some sand on the inside of my gel sock for my prosthetic. It rubbed a right wonderful blister on my thigh. Fantastic.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 9, 2018 at 2:11 PM

I've had one week of summer holidays and I accomplished a lot. It's amazing how many errands I just didn't have time for in June. I feel like I spent the entire first week running errands. This week I'm having fun with family, reading books and watching far too much Netflix. Summer is about re-charging and it's good to do nothing, if that's what refreshes you. In a few weeks I'll be ready to pull out some curriculum documents on rainy days to re-familiarize myself with the grade 1 learning outcomes. Until then, I will enjoy the sun, totally guilt free.

Aces and bella84 like this.
  14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2018 at 3:18 PM

I'm heading out on a road trip tomorrow. I've packed one professional book, but my e-reader is loaded with psychological thrillers! Recharging and relaxing is what will make me most effective come September.

15. Mrs. Mac13

Mrs. Mac13 Rookie

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:46 AM

Hello fellow Jack-Squatters! I have decided for the month of July I will just hang out with my dogs, go to the city for shows and lunches, catch-up with friends & dr appts, read, & Travel! (Just got back from Florida with my niece and next week I head to Nashville for a girls weekend.) Of course my husband is babysitting the dogs both times. Lol! Loving summer vacation. Will do work in August. :party:

16. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Waiting on my administrator license to be issued and watching movies. When I get paid as an administrator, I'll do "work" during the summer. ;)