My annual "I've done jack squat" this summer break thread....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 7, 2018

OK, I admit. I said that I would do some work other summer break. Tidy up some lesson plans.... go through the standards a little more so that I will try to cover everything well instead of just cover everything... But, I haven't done jack squat!! For those heading back in August, who's done very little besides chill out?

3. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Jul 7, 2018

Me! I'm going to be good and do a teeny bit of planning at a coffee shop tomorrow though. In theory.

I also have 5 hours left of training for our new grade/attendance/whatever system, so... yay? I'm doing it as quickly as I possibly can, because I definitely am getting ripped off doing this for free on my own time over the summer (though I do get 6 PD hours, so that's nice I guess) in exchange for NOT having to sit through a 2 hour training in August. I get prep time instead. Not sure it was a good trade, but I can get a lot done in 2 hours.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jul 7, 2018

After the school year ended for me (May 31st), I spent a week making new problem sets for my AP Calc AB/BC classes and then an additional three weeks (2-3 hours each weekday) creating material for a new Calc 3 class that I will be teaching (multivariable calculus and vector analysis) for when the new school year starts. I absolutely can’t wait to teach students about Fubini’s Theorem, Divergence Theorem, Green’s and Stokes’ Theorems, Clairaut’s Theorem, the work done in a vector field (i.e. how to compute the net work done in conservative and nonconservative fields), computing the center of mass and moment of substances of both uniform and non-uniform densities, computing double and triple integrals, computing line integrals (parametrized and otherwise) for closed and open boundaries, etc., etc. I’m excited!

(I’m also secretly going to savor the student’s moans and groans when they realize what they’ve got themselves into. And I just may have a reputation for teaching some of the most difficult classes at my school and easily rival the notoriety of the AP Chemistry and AP Physics teachers in terms of difficulty. The students are in for a bumpy ride, but it’ll be a blast! Whahaha!)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Aces likes this.
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 7, 2018

I’m the opposite. I haven’t really done anything for my own classroom or instruction, specifically, yet. However, I spent the first week of summer break doing paid curriculum writing for my district. I’m now working on five credit hours of coursework in order to get myself over to the next lane of the salary schedule by August. I’m also doing a tutoring practicum in order to gain certification in a particular reading intervention program. I feel as if I’ve barely had a moment for rest. I’m learning some things that are giving me good ideas for next year though. I just don’t know when I’ll have time to sit down and think about how to actually implement them.

miss-m and futuremathsprof like this.
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jul 7, 2018

Hey, you’re a dedicated teacher! Be proud and keep up the great work!

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 7, 2018

Been out since mid-June. I finished up my end of year paper work (stack) and planned my professional goals for next school year. I've also planned out my 3rd grade curriculum week by week for next school year. We have to for our principal, but it is a good thing to do. I still need to finish doing so for 4th - 6th grade before August in-service days begin. Already planning to attend 2 online PD workshops as well that I can add to my list of PD that I did this year.

futuremathsprof and miss-m like this.
  8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2018

I'm a jack-squatter! This is my vacation and everything can wait until I go back. :cool:

9. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Jul 7, 2018

I've taken two special ed grad classes, but other than that, I've relaxed and done nothing all summer. I am gearing up to spend the end of July fine-tuning some things. I do, however, feel more rested than I've felt in a very long time.

10. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 7, 2018

I moved content I organized on my haikulearning site to a new google site since my achool admins decided to block haiku altogether (they want all teachers to use google classroom). I also prepared homework assignments for both my AP and regular Physics classes, and have created weekly quizzes for the first half of the year! Still have one more class (Materials Science) to work on-going to create daily warm-up journaling, clean-up some powerpoints, and prepare student "interview" questions to ask after lab stations. And I have a weeklong PD for Mat. Sci. that I am really looking forward to.

It looks like a lot, but I still managed to play golf at least twice a week since break has begun!

11. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jul 7, 2018

Jack squat right here, but I haven’t relaxed either‍! I’ve been finding random tasks to do around the house to avoid schoolworko_O

geoteacher likes this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Jul 7, 2018

Hey, I got a new job. That should fill my work quota.

And my new school is still working out kinks on a new curriculum, so I don't know to plan anyway.

bella84 likes this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Jul 7, 2018

I've actually been enjoying housework (Note: this does not mean my house is clean, but I'm getting some major decluttering done).

bella84 likes this.
  14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 7, 2018

We haven't done a lot, considering how much free time we have had to do things. We are both teachers, and we have been out of school since the end of May/first of June.

• cleaned house
    • painted the hallway
    • done some Cricut projects
    • took a short (3 day) trip with my mom
    • finished a patio off the master suite
    That's been pretty much it. Most days DH plays xbox and I play around on my iPad.

15. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 7, 2018

Me too! This is the summer to go through almost 30 years of clutter.

Backroads likes this.
  16. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jul 7, 2018

See... Math teachers are pure evil. I've been saying this for ages but this is absolute proof. My physics class is always an AP class simply because that's the only way we offer physics. Personally though I don't think it's really that hard. Like I've said previously, my classes are lab based. So part of that is coming up with expected results and theories, then proving your theory. Students are given the very basic frame work but are expected to provide the walls and make the lab work.

As soon far as op's post, I haven't done jack squat school related this summer. The last 2-3 weeks of school I start to get to the point where I complain to my husband "I don't wanna go don't make me". Incidentally the are the same days where it's pretty outside and I want to not be trapped indoors. But I'm getting to the point now it's like okay let's go back to work now.

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jul 7, 2018

We’re not evil! And I’ll have you know that I am actually very personable, I make frequent corny and non-corny jokes, my classroom is very inviting and colorful, and I make all of my classes fun. For example, we do a lot of hands-on learning (and the activities are real-world applicable), we watch exciting online videos from Physics Girl, Numberphile, Vsauce, plus else on YouTube; we play math games, etc. BUT, I also ensure that my courses are very rigorous because a lot of my students go into STEM fields and I prepare them very well for their studies after high school.

18. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jul 7, 2018

Sure! Says the one who is going to savor their students' disgruntled moans! I do the video thing as well. I just have to download them to my personal laptop because YouTube is blocked on school internet.

Backroads likes this.
  19. tigger88

tigger88 Rookie

Jul 7, 2018

I haven't really done much since I got out on May 23. I went to free PD provided by Cherokee Nation back in June for a couple of days. They are really big in getting STEM into our schools. I had a lot of fun in some of the sessions. They gave me some wonderful ideas about how to implement STEM in my 1st grade classroom this year. I went to this free PD last year (it is held on the college campus that I graduate from and it is so nice to go back there. It is a beautiful campus and the PD is held where the Campus Bookstore is located so I usually stop in there and find a book or two) and I really enjoyed it. I was able to get a couple of my colleagues to go with me this year.

I was given a book (actually all teachers have to read it not just me) by my principal to read (The Classroom Management Book-Harry Wong) but I haven't even started it yet. I guess I need to get it read soon though. If my classroom has been cleaned, I would like to go in this week and start getting it ready for this upcoming school year. Every year I say I want to be more organized but is never seems to happen :( I have been enjoying my summer though. I've been shopping for new books for my classroom library-I love going to thrift stores and yard sales. Lots of times when I say I am a teacher they will let me buy things for less or even give me stuff for free!

20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jul 7, 2018

It’s okay to enjoy their disgruntled groans. They’re beautiful things and I chuckle every time I hear them.

21. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 7, 2018

I updated my test prep manual. And threw out a whole bunch of paperwork. The only other work I'm doing is working on my tan.

Pi-R-Squared likes this.