My admin clearly does not care about the students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4vr, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2019

:clapping:In my opinion, ALL (or at least the majority) of rewards should be tied to BEHAVIOR! You can celebrate a student's academic success by complimenting them, giving them certificates, whatever. But the big to do really should be to celebrate behavior, respect, etc. :2cents:

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jun 6, 2019

Yes, I reward the students who are the best behaved each year (fully explained in an old post in a separate thread). I fully expect all of my students to do well in their studies and don’t reward them for being a good student. That is their job.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2019

It seems to me having a pizza party for students who pass a test would harbor resentment among the students that didn't pass, no? If anything, I would celebrate GROWTH with a pizza party and only have the party if EVERYONE attained growth! I'm definitely a guy who wants to reward behavior (as my previous post stated,) but if I had a class who struggled all year and managed to pull it together to show leaps and bounds, I would be OK with celebrating that and really helping to build up their confidence, self- esteem, etc. But I wouldn't do it for students who only passed the test. I would do it to celebrate everyone's growth. I think that's a little better?
    Context: I taught in Title 1 elementary schools.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2019

So, every year I reward my classes who pass our EOC tests with a pizza party

^ I think that statement was read by us as exclusionary.

I actually think that's a little better. Did they work hard to boost up the scores? If so, you're not only celebrating the actual scores, but ALSO the effort and hard work that went into it. I'm actually OK with that. I still think it's kind of a pain for your colleagues and admin, but I applaud the spirit of it.
    :)

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 6, 2019

You expect them to do well in their studies, but you don't expect them to behave?

6. futuremathsprof

Jun 6, 2019

I reward those on their best behavior. Yes, I expect them to behave but I reward those who go above and beyond. For example, that student who always encourages others and volunteers their time to help students who struggle, etc. They should be rewarded and I get them gift cards at the end of each semester!

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 6, 2019

So you reward students who help you do your job for you.

8. futuremathsprof

Jun 6, 2019

Grow up.

stephenpe likes this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 7, 2019

I think students who go above and beyond what is expected in terms of behavior AND academics should be rewarded. If your kid doesn't meet certain standards set forth by the teacher then they might have to miss out on certain rewards. You can't get a participation trophy for everything just because you show up.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 7, 2019

This is part of our PBIS. We have Golden Tickets we give if we see a kid going above and beyond. A group of kids changed my tire in the parking lot, and all got Golden Tickets. It's supposed to be something beyond the scope of expected behavior.

In my class, I have a "Good Things" wall. If a student has a particular success academically, or volunteers to help another student on the computer, etc. Their name goes up and I make a positive phone call home.

I try to avoid rewarding the minimum expected behavior, unless a student has a behavior plan that requires me to.

11. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2019

I think rewarding kids for high achievement or excellent behavior is great. But I guess you must be careful not to intrude and take away from what other teachers are doing. Communication and not assuming things are your keys sometimes. I was probably remiss at this at times but if it was just between me and the P I found it easier to say Im sorry than risk being turned down sometimes. I picked my battles. I was very fortunate in 40 yrs of never having a principal on a power trip. I didn't always get my way but framing it as being for the benefit of children usually did the trick. And it WAS for the children. I worked in a very small elem. school so things were much more flexible. My advice is BUILD relationships with colleagues and keep the boss in the loop at all times. The more positive you can make something the more likely it flies.

12. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Jun 7, 2019

Seeing this from the perspective of the other teachers in the building, I think you might cause unintentional animosity between the students and the other teachers that are giving a quiz or test. The end of the year is already rough in regards to behavior, so I could see the kid that has to miss out for a test would be really upset at his or her teacher.

It just creates more and unnecessary animosity.