My 5th Grade Classroom

Discussion in 'Classroom Photos' started by DreamToTeach, Aug 2, 2011.

1. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 2, 2011

I am taking the plunge and posting photos of my first classroom. I don't have anything on the walls yet. Just finally got it organized and have more little things to do. But, it feels good. It was so crammed with furniture and "stuff" that the custodians hadn't vacuumed it in over a year. It was a lot of work!! I've actually moved things around a bit since taking these. :lol: I put the desks in groups, moved a book shelf, and hung one bulletin board. Maybe I'll take those photos and add them tomorrow.

https://picasaweb.google.com/108805103471646717421/ClassroomJuly2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

3. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Aug 2, 2011

Wow, I love your room. It is nice that you have such a big window, and your classroom library is huge and inviting. I'm sure the kids will love it.

4. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

really nice room! i love the blue/green theme you have going. the reading area is very inviting.

5. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 2, 2011

Wow, what a huge classroom! Love it! The blues and greens are great! :)

6. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 2, 2011

Thanks!! It's funny because I had a choice of rooms and this one was the smallest, but it is next door to my mentor teacher and has a Smart Board so it seemed the best choice. But, everyone comments on how large it is! I really cleared it out and only put back the necessities. It was difficult, but necessary! :)

7. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 2, 2011

wow!

I love all of your shelves for your classroom library.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 3, 2011

Looks great! And, WOW!!! Your classroom library is AMAZING!! I actually said, "WOW!" out loud when I saw it. Since you are a first year teacher, I have to ask - WHERE and HOW did you get so many books? Also, where are the bookcases from? I love your colors, btw! :)

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2011

Looks fabulous--I love your library!

10. Mr. Radiohead

Mr. Radiohead Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

As a first year teacher I would also like to know where you got the bookcases, chairs and all those BOOKS! Jealous. I was happy with my two bookcases I built, the 100 or so books I've scraped together and the homemade bean bag....wow.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2011

I am in LOVE with your classroom library. :) With the rest, you did exceptional as well.

12. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 4, 2011

Thank you! Thank you! I have been scouring Goodwill, sometimes several times a week, for years in preparation for my own classroom. The boxes filled a walk-in closet!! I was very picky the last year and only bought like-new books. It used to be .50 for softcover and $1 for hardcover, now it's a mess and I've seen softcovers for $2.49. :eek: The good shopping days are over. I collected over 1800 good books through the years.

So . . . I figured I could splurge and bought the shelves from IKEA. They were $410 all together. A lot I know, but all school supplies are provided by my school and I already had books, so other than a few organizational things I didn't have to buy anything. Of course, I have. :whistle: Had to have some pillows and chairs and Chinese lanterns. Lol! The palm trees were made by a friend and have been hanging in my bathroom since 1992. They deserved a new life. And so did my bathroom!!

13. BellaEstrella

BellaEstrella Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

Um if you want to send me those computers I will gladly take them :)

GREAT LIBRARY! Good Luck!

14. JesusIsMyTeach

JesusIsMyTeach Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

You're room looks awesome! I love the classrooms that have personality and feel like home. Great job! : )

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 5, 2011

I **KNEW** they were from IKEA!! :thumb::D I love that place!!! And hey, $410 for that many bookshelves sounds like a great deal to me!

I've been wanting to collect more books (I finish my credential program in December), but I just don't know what levels to get! I don't want to get a whole bunch of chapter books and then end up teaching Kinder...I don't want to get a bunch of early K books and end up teaching 6th grade! :unsure: How did you do it?

16. MissDoubleYou

MissDoubleYou Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

I love your classroom! The library is to die for! It inspires me to have one just like it when I get my own classroom! Now I don't feel so bad about hitting up thrift stores for books on the weekends...

17. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Aug 13, 2011

love your library section!!! So inviting!

18. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 13, 2011

Thanks everyone! My school really promotes reading and there are quite a few wonderful classroom libraries in the school. It is truly inspiring to see all the wonderful collections of books.

Initially, I had a hard time deciding which books to buy. I started with middle of the road and series that I knew were popular. I always picked up good picture books, because they can be used to teach the upper grades as well. When I was finishing off my single-subject English and thinking I might end up in high school, I picked up a lot of more mature books. I didn't put these in my 5th grade library. I kept them at home for me and my own daughters. I mostly purchased good literature in good condition, and because I love reading young adult literature, love beautiful picture books, and read anything nonfiction, I figured even if I never had my own classroom I had wonderful reading material!!

19. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2011

Nice! I LOVE the palm trees!!!

20. lat'e

lat'e Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

Very nice room. I love your awesome library area! Have a great year.

21. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2011

I LOVE your library it looks like a cozy living room. Where did you get the pillows and how much were they? I have a small rug area that is going to be reserved for reading and I want to get something like that but everything I've seen is so darn expensive.