Multplication basic facts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by blue678, Aug 27, 2011.

1. blue678

blue678 Rookie

Aug 27, 2011

Hello :)
    Hope everyone's first days went well!! Just a quick question.

Does anyone have any good multiplication flash card games that I could use with my students? We use "war," Around the World, etc., but I'm looking for some more ideas (especially that the kids can play in a small group). I want to get them practicing basic fact ASAP.

Thank you!

3. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 27, 2011

Do you have dice? They can also roll dice and multiply the numbers together. You can modify one die to have the higher numbers.

There is also a card game called name my number. Students play in groups of 3. Two students draw one card each and place it on his/her forehead without looking at it. The third student multiplies the numbers together and says the product. Student 1 can see the other student's number on his/her forehead, so it is up to student 1 to figure out what card he/she has on his/her own forehead. Player 2 does the same. The student who says the answer first (of the number on his/her forehead) gets both cards. Play switches to include player 3. Rotate until the deck has been played.

Students can also use the cards to create fact families. Students draw two cards, multiply the numbers, write the problems and answers down on paper/whiteboards as well as the other fact. Then have students do the division facts below.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2011

Couldn't you play like war and just have them multiply the number the groups of 2 put down.

Even Uno you could make into mulitplication with the number game.

5. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 27, 2011

PYRAMATH! It's so fun my kids absolutely love playing it! It'll work for younger or struggling kids, and it also works with students who are excelling. It's a special deck of cards and in order to play, students must rely on their knowledge of different operations.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2011

One game my math students enjoyed when I was the math resource teacher was the "doghnut game".

I made a doughnut on the computer, kind of like this, I just added lines in between to break it up. So, on the computer, I made the doughnut, and the numbers in black.
    [​IMG]

I slipped the papers into sheet protectors. Using white board markers, they would write the number that THEY are working on (in green in the picture above) and then I would set the timer. They would try to go around their doughnut and answer the multiplication problems as fast at they could (in red in the picture above).

7. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 27, 2011

Ooo I love these ideas! The doughnut game is great! I"ll have to check into pyramath too.