Multiple Subjects to Single Subject

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Dalila, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Dalila

Dalila Rookie

Dec 4, 2018

hello-
    So I am unsure what Forum to post this on but I definitely need assistance or guidance in general. So I graduated with my BA in Liberal Studies on 2016. I wanted to teach K-5th but after substitute teaching I changed my mind and see myself more at the high school level. However I do not know how to go about this. Do I go back to school and major in English or any advice on what to do? Curious and hope to get some direction. I know help for sure thank you in advance

3. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Dec 4, 2018

First, do you have your certification yet? If you do, go to your states education website and find out the requirements to get a 7-12 or 9-12 certificate in whatever subject you want to teach. You may be able to start with a provisional and then go take the classes you need to get at permanent, depending on how many credits you have in the particular subject. If you're not certified, I would go ahead and go back to school and combine your master's with your teaching certification courses-that's what I did, and I got both done in a year.

Out of curiosity, why high school? And why English? English tends to be a saturated market, so just be aware of that. And do you really want to teach high school, or is it just not K-5. If you haven't, I'd sub in a few high school classrooms before making the final decision.

Dalila likes this.
  4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 4, 2018

Have you taken the Multiple Subjects CSETs yet? If not, good! Go ahead and take the English CSETs as you'll absolutely need to pass those. You don't need to go back to school go get an English degree. Also, you'll need to enroll in the Single Subject Credential Program instead of the Multiple Subjects Credential Program.

Dalila likes this.
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 4, 2018

If you HAVE already taken CSET-MS, Dalila, you may find that the materials you used for Subtest I will come in handy in preparing for CSET English. I'd recommend having a look at the subject matter requirements and the sample questions, which you'll find at www.ctcexams.nesinc.com.

Most of California's credential programs are post-baccalaureate and they spend very little time teaching subject matter: people have majored in accounting or spent years managing fashion shows and gone on to get a credential in an unrelated-looking subject area. (Unrelated-LOOKING, yes: it's amazing how much of any subject matter can be found in, tucked into, or made relevant to another. This is one of the chief routes for selling subject matter to the reluctant, in fact.) If you decide, once you've got the English credential in hand, that you're up for middle school or that elementary sounds not so bad after all, you can add multiple subjects or English or whatever by taking the appropriate subject-specific teaching methods course, passing the appropriate CSET, and tossing some money at CTC.

Dalila likes this.
  6. Dalila

Dalila Rookie

Dec 4, 2018

Hello- First thank you all for your input and advice! I have subbed k-12th grade. I don’t see myself anymore in k-5th after substitute teaching in elementary. Perhaps the older students like 3-5th yes but Kindergarten or 1st not at all. And those two were the ones I used to dream about being a teacher for. I enjoyed high school so much while I subbed more interaction with the students and I just felt good there. I enjoyed middle school even though I feel they were A LOT more testy than High school. I am not certified, I just have my BA + CBEST, still need my credentials and I have not taken any further tests. I understand English might be saturated however in the districts I am looking at they do need English teachers. I live in a rural area and the demand for teachers is sort of really needed. Thank you for your input! I appreciate it. Just a mom of two trying to figure out life to achieve those goals and set a good example for my littles.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 5, 2018

Sounds like you've gotten full value out of your substituting, then, Dalila. You'd be surprised how many people find that what they'd thought was their dream group to teach, isn't. As for market saturation, it's going to vary from district to district and from state to state: if you know the market for English teachers is good where you are, go for it.