Moving....teaching in content area or admin

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by IrishDMBF, Apr 6, 2018.

1. IrishDMBF

IrishDMBF Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

DH has accepted a job in his home town and we are moving at the end of the school year. I have already told my current job I am not returning. I am finishing up my masters in Ed Leadership and I already have a doctorate in my content area. This seems like the perfect point to get out of the classroom and move into administration.
    In my new town there is one large urban district with a bunch of surrounding smaller rural districts. I have had an interview to get into the admin pool at the new district. However, I didn't think it went very well as I got the impression from the interview and from subsequent knowledge that there are a lot of layers of leadership in the district and they didn't view me as all that experienced. I think would have to do my dues as a teacher this district and work up. I got asked in the interview if I was willing to teach and work for the district in whatever capacity. I said I was. When I was flying home from the pool interview I got a phone call from a principal in the district saying that she had talked to the high school supervisor and that she knew I was in town for the admin interview and if I would interview for her available teaching position before I left. She knew that I wanted admin and would take that if offered but wanted to interview for the teaching job. Unfortunately, I missed the call as my phone was in airplane mode but I called her back and left her a message telling her I had already left town and that I was interested in the teaching position.
    Fast forward a couple of weeks, I actually did a phone interview for the teaching position and I thought it went very well. She said district HR would let me know either way but went on to describe in detail what would happen if I were to get the job. I let her know that I would be in town for my spring break if she wanted to speak in person but she said that her previous best hire had been a phone interview. She said she would make her recommendation by the end of that week but the next week was spring break. It is now almost 2 weeks after that. The job is still on the district website.
    I don't know what to make of the whole experience. Was I being tested for the whole admin thing? Did I not do well in the teaching interview and will not get the job? Or is the principal at the school waiting to see if I get an admin position before offering me the job? I am very antsy as my not having a job is preventing us from buying a house right now. I know its early but this district of the surrounding ones don't have much faculty turnover. I am worried about jobs in my content area popping up.

3. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Apr 6, 2018

I think some districts will hire people into admin without them having taught in the district and some won't. There is really no way to know without knowing how the district works. I would keep looking for jobs and remain hopeful that you will get a call back about one position or the other.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Apr 6, 2018

What state are you moving to? This would help in determining requirements for admin positions.

IrishDMBF likes this.
  5. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Apr 6, 2018

If Irish got an interview for the admin pool, I'm assuming they met the admin requirements. However, there is a difference with what is required and who gets hired. I would argue that hiring a new administrator from out of the District is a risk (which can pay off). Some Districts are willing to take the risk. Some aren't.

Caesar753 likes this.
  6. IrishDMBF

IrishDMBF Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

I am moving from Florida to Indiana. My admin certificate in Florida is pending. I am waiting until I have it till I transfer both my teaching and admin certification to Indiana.
    What has me antsy though is not really admin. It is what it is. The principal for the teaching position said she would put in her recommendation by the end of that week and that I would hear either way. However, I got such a positive vibe which is unusual from a phone interview. I just hate not knowing.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2018

Sometimes the wheels turn slowly, even when all the boxes have been checked. Perhaps you could send a brief follow-up email to the principal asking about the status of the position. Also, I really don't think that interviewing for that position or expressing interest in it will affect your application to the admin position.

bella84 and futuremathsprof like this.
  8. Been There

Been There Cohort

Apr 7, 2018

From what I've seen, there are two main ways for one to enter the administrative ranks with limited or no experience. Many districts prefer to promote their own familiar teachers to fill assistant principal vice principal positions. These teachers are often already well-known in their district for having chaired district committees, initiated new programs or served in some other soft leadership capacity - i.e they have political connections. The other point of entry is open principal positions - these are usually more competitive and can be filled by someone who has previously worked as an assistant principal or principal - rarely filled by a teacher with limited administrative experience. My suggestion to you would be to focus on openings that match your level of experience, but avoid wasting your time with admin. pools.

Administrative pools are often used by larger school districts with numerous administrators at many different levels as you describe - they often have lots of departments each with its own director and even assistant director. My guess would be that the administrative pool to which you applied was filled with many in-house teachers who, like you, want to transition into administration. You would definitely be at a disadvantage in such a pool. Of course, if you can rack up some very impressive soft leadership experiences to outshine the competition, that might help to turn the tables in your favor. That's what worked for me!

One more thing. You may want to focus on either a teaching or administrative position. Applying for both in the same district will have the undesirable of sending a mixed message that you are not sure what you want to do, resulting in your application not being placed on top of the pile. However, if you lack sufficient admin. experience, you may have no choice but to accept a teaching position and work your way up.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Apr 7, 2018

I really do think this depends on the District. In my area, I would say 1/2 of the Districts only promote internal people to AP positions and 1/2 actively recruit teachers from outside their District into admin pools and place them in AP positions.

As for applying to both, again it is hard to give advice without knowing the District. In my District, the same people aren't involved in hiring teachers and APs so completely different people would vet who gets interviews for these two pools. I know someone who applied to both teaching positions and the AP pool in my current district who got turned down for the teacher interview (you have to go on the supply list first and they were overqualified) and got an AP job a month later.

So I would simply apply for anything you are interested in, put your best foot forward and let them figure out if they want to move you forward in the process.

Again, you are clearly doing something right because you got an interview for the admin pool.

10. IrishDMBF

IrishDMBF Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

Thanks everyone for the input. From what I have figured out, individual building principals hire their teachers so it wouldn't be the same people vetting for the admin which does come from the district office. I have worried about the applying to both teaching and admin positions and if a principal can see my application history on the district HR site. They may think I won't stick around for long as a teacher. The reality of it is that I do want out of the classroom but I understand that I probably will have to teach for a few more years.
    What worries me more is the fact that there has only been one teaching posting for my content area (science) between the big district and all the surrounding districts. I know technically its early but I have also figured out that there is very little turnover in the districts as it is an area where people tend to grow up there, maybe go away to college but eventually find their way back.

11. IrishDMBF

IrishDMBF Rookie

Apr 11, 2018

So I emailed the principal about the status of the teaching position. Next day I get the the "Thanks but no thanks" email from HR.
    I currently teach at a Catholic school and not in public school. One of the Catholic high schools in the area is looking for a principal. They originally posted a few months ago but I didn't apply. They recently reposted and I applied. I have a phone interview for that. My experience probably matches that a little more than a public school.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Apr 11, 2018

Good luck!