Moving into Administration

Discussion in 'General Education' started by callmebob, Jul 10, 2016.

1. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2016

Anyone out there who has gone through an admin program or planning to? Curious about others motivations and thoughts about it.

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2016

Just finished one. It was through a local county office of education, but it was fully accredited and will lead to a master's degree next year.

It was great. Very valuable, even if I never become an administrator. What I liked about my program was that they were on the same page regarding many issues (high stakes testing, zero tolerance, corporate school reform etc) as teachers and teacher organizations. I came away realizing that the future of school leadership depends on leaders being able to get teachers quit working in isolation and to start collaborating.

My motivations were many. I have 22 years at many different grade levels and wanted a way to put all of my experience to work. My wife and I want to relocate, and I needed a way to change districts without taking a huge pay cut. And elementary, middle school, or K-8 AP has always been one of my "dream jobs."

My advice is to do it. Not just for you, but for the profession in general. I believe that if more teachers had their admin certificate, then the quality of leadership would improve in schools overall. I wished I'd gotten my admin certification 10 years ago.

4. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 10, 2016

I have my masters in educational leadership and my principal cert. I'm slowly making my way up to an admin position. This year I'm going to be a part of the leadership team, and I hope that experience will give me an opportunity to move up next school year.

5. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2016

My wife and I started a Masters program together (both are teachers) this summer. I'm looking forward to continuing through this leadership program and hopefully being in administration a couple years from now. We both have grown in our desire to have better leadership in schools and we are both continually pushing to improve aspects of education that we felt we needed to make this leap if we will ever have the opportunity to really make an impact.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 10, 2016

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." ~A Tale of Two Cities

Being an administrator has been an awesome ride: chock-full of challenges and joy! I really love what I do and I have absolutely no regrets about getting my admin credential and becoming an AP. I am truly looking forward to year 4 in my current role (mainly because I feel as though I've worked out the kinks). What's even between better is that I'm the AP at the school I attended during my very own K-6 years (gives me lots of street cred, in my humble opinion).

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 10, 2016

I completely my M.Ed. in Educational Leadership. It was that program that made me realize that I love being a teacher leader but have, at least for now, zero interest in leaving the classroom in favor of administration. I'm three classes and one Praxis away if I change my mind, but I love being a co-department chair in the meantime.