moving from 6th to 7th and floating

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Meghan Day, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Meghan Day

Meghan Day New Member

Jul 4, 2017

I am about the start my 5th year of teaching. I am switching school districts and making a change from 6th to 7th grade Reading. I ALWAYS hear horror stories about teaching 7th grade. An suggestions that you might have? Also, I am floating! This will be new for me as well. I have a pretty good attitude about floating right now. My only major debate right now is...using a bigger cart with 4 wheels and 3 shelves or using a rolling crate? Anybody have experience with this? I know that I will have a desk ( and I'm hoping an office) in the athletic department and then I will have 2-3 classrooms for reading that I will float between.

3. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2017

I started my career teaching 7th grade. I loved that age! I switched grade levels when I got married and moved to a state that had difficulty finding 5th grade teachers, otherwise I wouldn't have switched grades. They don't have nearly the attitudes many eighth graders have.

4. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 6, 2017

I taught 7th grade this last year and I loved it. I am moving up with my same students to 8th but at this point I can't see myself ever going back to elementary grades. Definitely sticking with 7th/8th for the foreseeable future.

Working with 7th graders definitely requires building strong relationships, establishing mutual respect, and strong management. 7th graders are kind of off the wall in a lot of ways and are challenging but I also find them to be hilarious, continually entertaining and very rewarding to work with.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2017

Are you a 6/7/8 school or a 7/8? I work in a 7/8 and I adore the 7th graders. They grow so much in that one year. They go from barely scribbling their FIRST NAME on papers to writing full on essays. They start to see the world around them isn't perfect and they might need to do something about it. They are idealistic and still loving and willing to be kids. You can still get them excited about ANYTHING.

However, I've spoken to others in a 6/7/8 who say they are a nightmare.

6. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

I've been teaching 7th for over a decade. I love it. However, the students can be very immature and babyish one day and then mature and more engaged the next. The number one priority of most students at this level is their peers and social life. I try to use group and partner work as a motivation. I feel like you have to be very strict and show that you expect them to work every day. I also like to cut down on the complaining and the slacking off. I use a lot of statements from Teaching with Love and Logic. You have to have a sense of humor, but first make sure that the class in under control. Things can go from 0 to crazy in a second in middle school.

I've also taught on the cart for certain classes. One thing I used was a small cart (that I had to buy myself) and used it as a mobile office. I kept everything in it for that subject. I had folders in it for each period. I made students put everything "back" in my cart, so things were not left in the other classroom. It was helpful if that teacher lent me a shelf or area. For example, in one class, I had a bulletin board where I could post things. (However, that was not the case in other classrooms.) I would take the folder out of my cart to grade things and then put it back in after so I could stay organized.