Moving and Substitute Teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by corunnermom, Nov 10, 2018.

1. corunnermom

corunnermom Rookie

Nov 10, 2018

I just made a big decision and resigned from my current position as a first grade teacher. I went through a very ugly, heartbreaking divorce a few months ago and am in low place emotionally and physically. I can hardly function at work, which is not good for kids or me. I decided to move across the country to live with my sister in Minnesota, as I have no family here. My principal is very supportive. Of course, I am planning on working when I move. However, I'm unsure of what route I would like to take. I am in the process of obtaining my Minnesota teaching license. My ultimate goal is to obtain a full time position in the district. I'm not sure if it would be better for me to substitute teach or get a full time job teaching preschool (I loved teaching preschool but it pays nothing!). I also plan on getting another part time job either teaching an after school program or working at Starbucks because they offer benefits. Any advice, ideas, etc?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2018

No advice, just hugs. Good luck!

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 10, 2018

Applying for a Minnesota teaching license can be a pain. My family was relocating there for my husband's job, and there were a million hoops to jump through. They require substitutes to have a substitute license, so definitely get on their state department of ed website to see how to begin that process. We didn't end up moving there as my husband received a better job in our current state, but I have heard that pretty much the only way to get hired full-time in many places there is to start as a sub.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 10, 2018

I'd think substitute teaching would pay slightly better and also yield better connections for when/if you want to get a full time teaching job again. You'd also get to know which schools you'd most like to work in.

Wishing you luck as you move into this next phase of life :greenheart:

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 12, 2018

Substitute teaching would be better for getting around more schools I'd say.

7. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 12, 2018

With Minnesota's new licensing system (which is a major mess IMO), getting a license won't be a challenge. Getting a position can be a challenge depending on where in the state you are moving. I have lived in Minnesota my entire life and ended up moving way out state (like almost in Canada) to be able to get a job just starting out. Flexibility and making contacts is key to finding a teaching position in Minnesota (from my experience).