Move to Arizona

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Apr 16, 2018

Like all those lazy, money-hungry doctors and lawyers and engineers who only go into their careers for the money.

(To note, all the doctors/lawyers my age I know are dirt poor living in tiny apartments trying to pay off student loans).

Leaborb192 likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2018

I’m merely speculating, but could they be primary care physicians/pediatricians/public defenders, because all of the medical doctors/lawyers I know make 200k-300k, on average. The aforementioned doctors/lawyers might have what I call “lifestyle creep.” This means that they have been living like a college student so long that they started living lavishly the moment they made a decent salary and now live outside their means. Hence, they struggle month to month to make ends meet.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Apr 16, 2018

How is the cost of living in AZ? Those salaries looked like rural Ohio salaries, to be honest.

I've never had a union in Ohio, I've worked for ESCs or Head Start, as a teacher, and have always been at the tender mercies of my admin. So, that's not a deal breaker.

Really, the only reason I'm looking is because my folks are talking about retiring out there in a few years, and my sister is thinking about making the move too. No way am I staying in Snow-hio alone. :D

Leaborb192 likes this.
  4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Apr 16, 2018

My cousin bought his house about 3-4 years ago, I believe, and paid over 300k. It's a modest house, in my opinion. If he would've gotten something in a more upscale neighborhood, he would've paid a lot more (I think he regrets purchasing in the area where he bought his home).

I don't know about other areas of AZ, but I know that Phoenix is pretty comparable to my area of CA in terms of cost of living.

Zelda~* and Leaborb192 like this.
  5. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Apr 16, 2018

Oh, they make plenty of money as far as I have been made aware. But they include a lot of very self-sufficient-type people who make paying off student a debt a huge priority. So, yeah, they live in tiny apartments for a while until they have a more reasonable amount left. It's not really life-style creep, just "holy moly, I owe somebody a lot of money and I'm give them most of my paycheck to get that out of the way".

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. futuremathsprof

Apr 16, 2018

Understood. I agree with their plans and did something similar when I graduated back in June 2014 as an undergrad. I lived minimally until all of my student loans were paid off. It sucked because even though I only made $3,000 a month after taxes I still threw $1,800 at my loans every month. I had to force myself not to buy things and to do fun stuff — the end result was more important. For example, if I saw a nice pair of shoes I wanted or something else I wanted really badly I would immediately log on to my loan provider on my phone and make another payment. This prevented me from buying it as the money was no longer there to tempt me.

It was depressing because I didn’t get to do a whole lot for 10 months besides working, eating, and sleeping, but I was elated every time I saw my principal drop rapidly. I did this because I wanted to see zeros so badly, and so much so that when I finally submitted that last payment I danced around the room and whooped loudly. Then, I bought that pair of shoes I really wanted next pay period! ;)

I now make a lot more than I did then, and so I treat myself at least a few times a month to something nice, but only after overpaying my bills. And speaking of paying bills, I just tallied up all of the debts I’ve paid off since June 2014, and it amounts to a little over $70,000. And this is in just a little less than 4 years! Now I owe just $6,800 on my car and once that’s done I’m free!!! $3,000 this month alone already for just my car. Curses! I could have gone on vacation over Spring Break with that, but NO, I had responsibilities.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Backroads likes this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2018

8. futuremathsprof

Apr 16, 2018

Holy cow! They have a ton of openings.

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2018

Always! And that's pretty much what it's like all the time. They'll hire a boat load of teachers and that many will resign by the end of the next year. It's pretty much how Arizona runs.

10. futuremathsprof

Apr 16, 2018

That’s sad that they can’t retain teachers. That says something about the educational system there. :eek:

11. blazer

blazer Groupie

Apr 17, 2018

Oatman is very nice. Kingman not so much.

12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2018

Hence #redfored
    I was just browsing the district's board minutes and decided to screen shot the salaries of some teachers they just hired. It's quite pitiful.
    Look at the salaries based on one year of experience up to six years. I could make way more $ as a starting teacher in NY than this. $34,800 isn't terrible if you're a SINGLE first year teacher, with not many obligations (i.e. crushed by student loan debt,) but after six years, I'd be kind of annoyed if I only made $36,888.
    It's interesting to note that you DO get paid more for the graduate work that you have so it pays to further your education. But this is just a sample of why AZ has a teaching shortage and giving them additional pennies isn't really going to do much for them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  13. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2018

We left AZ a couple years ago. I was making 32,000 in my 7th year. We had fewer specials each year because those teachers were laid off. My roof leaked every time it rained. I think 5 or 6 out of the 7 years my air conditioning was broken in August’s 100+ temps.

A 20% raise might get teachers to what some neighboring states pay. Salaries where I am now (a different southwestern state) are $15,000+ higher, and our cost of living is a bit lower.

14. futuremathsprof

Apr 22, 2018

That’s horrible. I made $40,000 starting with zero years experience and a Masters + 15. I currently make $55,000 (currently finishing up 4th year and will get a $5,000/yr raise) and next year I will make $60,000! I’m super excited.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  15. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2018

In my home district, a starting teacher with just a BA and no experience is like $45 and it's a tiny, very rural area, so the COL is very cheap. Teachers can live like Kings & Queens, compared to the rest of the population, many of whom are either a) employed by Walmart or b) unemployed. There's definitely socioeconomic tension between the "haves'' and "have nots'' in my area. It used to be a rather pleasant area that attracted people to want to stay... we actually had things to do here, but when buildings burn down or companies close up shop and leave, nothing replaces them. I feel sad for the the current generation of kids who are here. I was subbing in the 3rd grade the other day and said, "Guys, we used to have an actual movie theater here!'' They didn't believe me. I brought up Google Maps and took a tour around town and I told them all of the things we used to have 10+ years ago.
    And the sad part is it's never going to get any better.
    :cry:

16. futuremathsprof

Apr 22, 2018

But if they live a town with next to nothing, then are they really living like kings and queens?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  17. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2018

I say yes as somebody who grew up poor in a trailer park and saw the way my teachers lived. I'm not going to lie, I grew up envious of my teacher's life style and was motivated to become a teacher partly because of how they lived. They have nicer houses and cars and get to travel - leaving town and go wherever-- that's something I (and many others) never got to do. I know teaching isn't about the money or glamorous lifestyle, but they definitely live better than a lot of other people in my town.
    I hated coming back from spring break to listen to them talk about their trip to Florida as well as my classmates many of whom also traveled. I never did anything fun or cool like that and was embarrassed when we had to share out what we did.
    :mad:

18. futuremathsprof

Apr 22, 2018

I totally understand your situation. I, also, came from humble beginnings and so I relate to your situation. My parents both worked minimum wage jobs and barely made it every month and I observed the lifestyles my teachers had in my teens. That was the motivation behind my pursuing teaching, also. Now, I live comfortably, am financially stable, am close to buying a home, and only have my car loan left ($6,800).

Not to mention, the tons of paid time off and time off that comes with teaching is definitely worth it to me. I don’t even feel like I work some days because it is so easy for me. I am counting down the days to summer break for me — 39 days left! And the money’s not too shabby, either!

I can’t wait until I make 80’s and up just from teaching, and with tutoring (just raised my rates to $80/hr) factored into the equation, as well, I’ll be able to go on vacations multiple times a year. I’m being honest when I say I’m in this long term for the money. I’m glad that you are honest, also.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  19. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Apr 22, 2018

I've never seen any raise rates as much as you. Don't the clients get pissed at all the changes? You were charging almost half of that almost half a year ago.... (I still charge $10 more, but I've only raised rates once in 6 years, and only for new clients.)

20. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2018

I'm definitely not in it long term for the money but being able to be financially secure is a motivator. And I want to travel on my summer vacations and nerd out at professional conferences. When I'm back to work I'm thinking of joining the ILA so I can attend the conferences and reap the benefits of the organization.
    I like being in graduate school now and being an academic, but I don't want to do the PhD thing. By teaching and being a member of organizations I can scratch that itch.
    :D