Morning Work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 12, 2011

What do you have your students do as soon as they get unpacked upon arrival at school? I did various things last year, and my schedule starts with comm. arts, so I'm thinking that I'd like to do morning journals again. I used to just ask random questions, and they would have to either respond to my question or write sentences about something else on their mind. Then we gave just a BRIEF time for sharing, which was optional.

What do you do in the morning??

3. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 12, 2011

Silent reading!!!! I've done journals, DOL/DLR, morning meetings, but silent reading is my favorite by far. It gives me time to do attendance and whatnot, and the kids come in excited to read.

4. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 12, 2011

My students have a copywork exercise that they do immediately upon coming in and turning in their homework. They need the practice of copying accurately from the board, so they have a paragraph that is related to something we will be doing later that day or something that I want them to know, but don't want to spend a great deal of time with. (Most of the copywork is history related.)

Immediately after finishing the copywork the students begin to work on a tile teaser which is a math warm-up. Copywork and tile teasers take 15 minutes that I use for attendance, immediate paperwork that goes to the office, etc. We have announcements at 8:45 and we're ready to go.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2011

When I taught upper grades I used to do a Fix, Solve, Write scenario. I would write a DOL sentence, some review math problems and a short writing prompt. Kids would write their answers in a notebook and it was a great way for me to check in on their skills etc. The first child in the room and unpacked would put journals on the other kids desks. I really liked it.

6. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 12, 2011

GoldenPoppy that is a great idea! DLR/DOL have always bothered me because I don't want them to see something incorrectly for 15 minutes, and then correctly for 1 minute. Love the idea of front loading them with info from a content area. Going to add that to my list of things to do this year!

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 12, 2011

If you taught 4th Grade in California I could share my copywork paragraphs with you! At the beginning of the year I discuss with the students that this information is important to think about...it isn't just something to look at, write down, and forget. I've been known to thrown in a pop quiz about previous copywork to reinforce my point. I grade each of these paragraphs every day. The top score is a 5...that means all of the words are spelled correctly, all of the punctuation is included correctly, all of the words are in the proper order within the sentences (and no words have been omitted or repeated), the paragraph is properly indented and written from margin to margin, and the paragraph has been completely copied. It is important to emphasize that there is nothing in the paragraph that needs to be corrected. We have a category on our report cards called Transcription Accuracy that these grades go to.

I have them use the black and white composition books to do this work. Each student needs 2 per year.

8. WhoDatTeacher

WhoDatTeacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

In my student teaching class students were given 3 math questions that were relevant to the daily math lesson and what was being taught that week. When students were finished they sat on the rug and socialized with peers quietly until morning meeting began. After morning meeting math was reviewed as a class.

9. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 13, 2011

We do a 'reteach' activity from the lesson from the day before to see what needs to be retaught.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2011

Typically I have my kids do fix-it sentences, a journal write, and then either work on something I have for them, or read. This year, I am going to try to get a daily 3 rotation done first thing, so I might take out the journal entry.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2011

Can you give me more information on the copywork exercise? Maybe a few examples? That sounds very intriguing.

12. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Aug 16, 2011

I have read entire thread and this is great, look slike something i could use - but just want to ask - what is DRL/DOL?

13. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 16, 2011

Copywork

This would be a typical copywork exercise:

Alta California was a wild, far away country. It would be hard to take supplies there from New Spain. Every ship the Spanish sent had a long, hard journey, battling the winds and a lack of food. Starting settlements would be very difficult. If the ships New Spain sent had trouble carrying enough food for their sailors, how could they carry enough extra supplies for the settlers?

I copy these on a transparency and it is projected on the overhead so when the students come in and turn in their homework it is ready to go. At the beginning of the year I give them about 15 minutes, but it quickly goes down to 10. I'm looking for accuracy and give points for each element that is correct. This one would be used during our initial discussions of colonizing California.

Some of these I write, but most of them come from my collection of old 4th Grade California Social Studies textbooks.

I grade them each day...it takes about 10 minutes to go through all the books.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  14. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

Another vote for silent reading.

15. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 20, 2011

I've always done a fun morning work puzzle page, but after reading The Book Whisperer, I will use silent reading instead this year.