Morning Work - Practicing names

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jeepgirlsrock, Feb 9, 2017.

1. jeepgirlsrock

jeepgirlsrock Rookie

Feb 9, 2017

Every morning my students trace their name twice, trace 0-10 then write their name twice and write their last name 3 times. I'm so over it!!!! They're bored as f***. It's on a laminated sheet so my TA cleans them daily. After they do their morning name practice, they get a journal and write/draw daily (this is a district expectation for our dual language campus). I need fun ideas! My kids are so bored with it but I know some still need to work on their names. I have 11 students in the morning and co-teach PPCD in the PM class for a total of 16 students.

EDIT: We can't use worksheets this year due to Debbie Diller

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2017

Practice letters in sand, shaving cream, trace sand paper letter with finger...
    Fine motor skill practice: use tongs to pick up small objects and count them, Stringing beads, push toothpicks through the perforated holes on the top of a cheese shaker jar, peg boards, etc

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Feb 9, 2017

I hate to tell you this, but laminated sheets they trace with their name on it ARE worksheets ...just cut into smaller pieces and wiped clean each day rather than running a new copy each day. I second Czacza's suggestions -- practice writing their names in sand and have the teacher give you a high five when you are done (or the assistant, whatever works best for you)... use shaving cream, sandpaper letters... Stamp their names in playdough, stamp them on colorful sentence strip paper... There are so many ways to make this fun.

I was so fortunate to have Debbie Diller actually come to our district (in my previous district) and help us set up classrooms according to her book. It was amazing! There were no bored children! Everyday was exciting.

MissScrimmage likes this.
  5. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 9, 2017

I use alphabet Magnets that the children use on a small white board to spell their names. For numbers, I often have them to put the numbers in order and if they get confused on what number goes next they count from 0 to whatever number is next.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2017

And keep in mind there's a huge difference between printing letters or numbers and knowing what those 'symbols' represent.

7. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 9, 2017

Yes worksheets are a Big NO NO! Children should be engaged in hands on learning as much as possible. Worksheets are one dimensional.

Also try letting them use markers to write name or numbers in different colors.That is emergent learning. They identifying name,letters, and colors.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2017

I was going to say encourage rainbow writing their names. What about asking carpet store for some sample squares (a few) and write name in carpet. Fingerpaint their names. How about flashcards and they have to line up letters of name. You may have to make flashcards or have them make flash cards and extra letters if their name requires ie Sarah (extra a).