morning meeting quick activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teachoh, Sep 5, 2005.

1. teachoh

teachoh Rookie

Sep 5, 2005

does anyone have any short, fun activities to do during a morning meeting. they can be academic or just as an energizer for the day. i do the meeting with 4 parts: greeting, sharing, activity, news and announcements. we've done songs and some get to know you activities but i'm starting to run low on ideas.

thanks!

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 5, 2005

Post a picture of "Person of the day" someone from history, current events, politics, etc.. and give some clues about that person. Students name the person and write a couple sentences about the person, or what their significance is. President of the United States... Sometimes place of the day.

4. teacher_99

teacher_99 Rookie

Sep 5, 2005

meeting activity!

I teach kindergarten and one of the activities I do every monday morning is a question of the week. We have a bulletin board with all the kids pictures and we post a question (my favorite color is.... why is the sky blue?, etc... and we post the children's answers next to their picture. The parents LOVE reading their kids answers, it's quite amusing at times!

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 5, 2005

teacher99--that is such a cute idea! I can imagine that the parents (and other teachers) absolutely love reading the board!

6. teacher_99

teacher_99 Rookie

Sep 5, 2005

Thanks, it is something I started back when I had my 3 year olds and have done it ever since, a very popular idea!

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2005

teacher 99,
    that is an adorable idea. Do you post that in the hallway or in your classroom? What other questions have you used? Could you share some of those? Love that idea!!!

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2005

I have a question about your idea. When you ask them the question, do you do it one on one or as a group and each has a turn? Whenever I ask my kids a question, they repeat what the one ahead of them said...or just sit there.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2005

I thought of that same thing, grammy.lol! I was thinking I could ask them one on one when they come in in the morning, and just record what they say. I always have arrival activities, and could ask them at my table during this time as well. That way, no copying, and they have to think for themselves. Of course, my kids are older, so may be able to pull answers easier.

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2005

That's what I try to do, is one on one. Then there is always one child who says something way off the wall...like if you ask why is the sky blue, he will reply I drank juice yesterday...LOL

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2005

LOL! Well, the parents would get a good laugh at that one, should you post it. I have never done that before, so I'll be interested in seeing the answers I get. Grammy, would you post that answer? Or, what do you do?

12. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Sep 5, 2005

I think the question idea is really cute. It would make a very funny class book. Maybe, a gift for the parents at the end of the year.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2005

No... I wouldn't post it. I don't think the child's parents would get any sort of a kick out of that. There is a difference between a cute comment and one that shows a total lack of comprehension. One year I had a little girl who was impossible to understand, so I would pick out the words that I understood and make it into some sort of sentence(very short)...it wasn't like they weren't aware that she had these problems, but I didn't want hers to stand out as waaaay out there. For the most part, the kids do repsond o.k. There is always the option of leaving that child's comment out, but that wouldn't be right either.

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2005

As teacher bell said, it would make a funny book but I would never do it at the expense of a child's humility and inability to comprehend. I'm very sensitive to things like that since I have two boys in special ed..........they don't need to have that kind of attention drawn on them. Hmmmmmmmmm, I'll have to think about this idea for awhile. Grammy, you got me thinking about it, now. :confused:

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2005

I think it's a cute thing to do and I have done it at Thanksgiving ...How to Cook a Turkey...and THAT is HILARIOUS!!! One year one of my kids said , "We don't cook a turkey, we order out!" The other answers have been very funny. You just have to know your kids and if a child has a learning disability , etc. For the most part, it is a lot of fun. I am going to try it(if I remember)...maybe on Mondays along with my Weekly Reader activites.

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2005

I have done this when writing a mother's day cookbook. The kids had to dictate how to make their favorite dish that mom cooks for them Those were hilarious.......and always got a good laugh, and a great keepsake. I think I will try it and see how it goes......with teacher discretion to "edit' or prompt as necessary. :) Now, what will my first question be? ANy ideas what yours will be?

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2005

No ideas ...

18. teacher_99

teacher_99 Rookie

Sep 6, 2005

Thanks for all the feedback on the idea, it really is a fun thing.. I do it as a one on one activity when they are doing centes, because as already stated, they would all repeat the same thing, as kindergartners really only remember the last thing they heard.
    At the beginning I do simple things like my favorite (animal, color, tv show, food, toy, movie, book, etc...) This is usually something new to the parents as well! LOL As time goes on we get more "philosophical" like the sky question or why is grass green, things like that. I can't think of others right now, but if anyone has other suggestions be glad to hear them!

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 6, 2005

I did a Mother's Day cookbook one year and it was hysterical, too. Thanks for the reminder.

My sister has had a response her son gave in preK on her refrig for years. The question was, "How do you know your Mom loves you?" His answer -"Her kisses me right on the lips." Awwwww.

Just stay away from controversial things and there are limitless kinds of questions to ask. It sounds like loads of fun.

20. teacher_99

teacher_99 Rookie

Sep 6, 2005

That is a good one! I'll have to remember that, I'm going to use it, but probably add dad to ? too, just to be fair! LOL

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2005

thanks teacher 99
    I love that idea and will start it this week with the general questions, animals, colors etc. I think these could make nice booklets for the classroom at the end of the week if I design a nice template for the questions. :) My kids always love the class made books the best!