Morning meeting for 3rd-5th grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NewSpEdTeacher2017, Jul 16, 2017.

1. NewSpEdTeacher2017

NewSpEdTeacher2017 Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

I want to do a morning meeting for my students this next year, even though they are upper elementary. I feel it can set the tone of the day. This is a special ed class, but despite being "mod-severe" I just found out that everyone is on grade level (they have autism so they just need the curriculum in a small group setting with behavior supports). Any ideas making this appropriate?

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:24 PM

I'm considering this in my 5th grade class as well. I purchased The Morning Meeting Book a couple years ago, but my schedule has never allowed for me to implement it. I had a WEIRD schedule at my last school. Anyway, I don't really have ideas yet - sorry - but I'm curious to see if others do!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:26 PM

I'm third grade. We gather after morning announcements to correct do now work and then we use a online weather site for data collection (related to our science curriculum) and then we might discuss the days schedule and we get to work.

5. bella84

bella84 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:20 PM

We do morning meetings all the way up to 6th grade at my school. It's not just a primary thing. There are so many different directions you can go with it, but I would suggest sharing announcements and the schedule for the day, as well as maybe doing a community builder activity.

6. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:48 PM

My school also does morning meetings all the way up to 5th. I teach 4th and after the announcements I gather them on the rug. Occasionally we will go over an assignment if it is a whole-class need, we go over the schedule and anything special going on, and then I go right into my first mini lesson of the day.