More "forced morale"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by waterfall, Dec 11, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 11, 2012

Just after the last post...we got an e-mail today about our "dress code" for next week.
    Monday-Red
    Tuesday-Green
    Wednesday-Sparkly silver or gold
    Thursday-Ugly sweater and santa hat
    Friday- we choose with jeans/no jeans before Friday

The e-mail stated that we "need" to have 100% participation to "bring more cheer" to the building. Basically the only item I have is something red. I have some reindeer antlers that I could possibly wear instead of the hat. I have no desire to go purchase an "ugly sweater" (even for a couple of bucks) that I'm being forced to wear once. I also find it ironic that we are not allowed to celebrate/talk about holidays at all ( they say it wastes instructional time/alienates students of certain religions) yet we're being told we "have to" wear a Santa hat and ugly Christmas sweater.

My teammate was seriously suggesting that our whole team where black instead all week, which would be hilarious. I love my team!

At least we aren't getting threatened with our jeans being taken away if we don't do it!

3. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Dec 11, 2012

Complete ignorance.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 11, 2012

I saw a photo of an ugly sweater on Anderson Cooper today - the sweater had two appliqued santa heads over the boods. The carrot noses were 3D and stood straight out. 'Nuf said. Oh, I don't recommend the look. Though you could hang some ornaments off a black sweater.......

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Dec 11, 2012

I'm so the type that would rebel against something so foolish. We are asked to pay $10 to the flower fund in exchange for wearing jeans daily for 15 days.

I never give the whole amount b/c we are allowed to wear jeans on Fridays as a matter of course, and I always have parent meetings that I don't wear jeans for, and our last day before break is always a jeans day. I count up the days I do wear them and pay that many days. I also do not give the suggested amount for collections. I pay what I feel led to give.

I say go for the black :D

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 11, 2012

lol, I also rebel against forced "fun".

We have to go bowling one year and are forced to dress up. My team wore black. I went but didn't participate last year.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Dec 11, 2012

I'll take that one step further... "complete ignorants"! :dizzy:

8. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Dec 11, 2012

Buy some things and send the bill to the superintendent with a copy of the memo? :whistle:

9. comaba

comaba Cohort

Dec 11, 2012

I would drop off an anonymous note to the P stating that the best way to "bring more cheer" to the building is to stock the teachers' lounge with SoCo for the week.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2012

LOL!

I would tell my Admin that the only thing that would lift my spirits and bring me more cheer is a cash bonus.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 11, 2012

So true! That would definitely add some "holiday cheer."

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2012

They tried some things like that at work, wearing certain colors and no one did it, so that was the end of that! The only thing that brings cheer is money.

13. geoteacher

geoteacher Cohort

Dec 11, 2012

We've done the ugly sweater thing, but never a week of required apparel. That would be too much. Also, our dress-up days are never required. I will say that we did have fun with those ugly sweaters. I think that the teacher who won wore something that belonged to his wife!

14. ATXMusic

ATXMusic Rookie

Dec 11, 2012

We only have about a dozen men on campus. Our principal required 10 of us for "entertainment" but wouldn't tell anyone what it was. With so few men, almost all of us have to participate (volun-told).

Got the email today. We have to rehearse after school to lip sync a ten-part acapella version of the 12 Days of Christmas.

Not helping morale with the male teachers.

15. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Dec 11, 2012

Waterfall,

Wow...your P really is out of control.

I was thinking that possibly deciding on someone on your staff that might be one of your P's favorites. How about having that person talk really nicely to your P and have him/her explain that you appreciate his efforts, but that forcing people to do something won't cure the morale problem. As he seems to be grabbing at straws, I would suggest giving him some suggestions.

Good luck to you.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 11, 2012

This was actually suggested by a specials teacher who believe it or not practically runs the school. She's clearly gunning for an admin job and is very close with both of our admins. There is a "favorite" group of the P's and they all support/come up with stuff like this. People that cross this specials teacher often end up on the P's "list" too. No one that actually opposes this would be on the P's good side.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 11, 2012

So what did you end up doing?

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 12, 2012

I think appreciation would go a long way too. When I first started teaching our admin (they split which teachers they did) wrote cards to each teacher saying what they appreciate about them. Probably took them an hour to do-but it made a lot of people smile.

Waterfall-sorry the ugly sweater directive seems contagious! ;)

19. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 12, 2012

How about a pink slip?
    I bet with the potential of a pink-slip, you'd have more participation.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2012

I actually bet not.

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2012

This is the time of year when we're all (teachers and students alike) gasping and struggling to get to Winter Break. Why would anyone decide to lump more on us? I'm suddenly feeling bad for my elementary school teachers who put on an annual Christmas pageant, including a staff choir singing Winter Wonderland and 12 Days of Christmas (with our lone male teacher singing, "And a partridge in a pear tree" all by himself).