Moonlighting ideas?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by wolfster, May 17, 2005.

1. wolfster

wolfster Rookie

May 17, 2005

Hi,

I will know whether I do have a new job in a few days - but all my interviews (and this possible job) are in the same part of the country which has a VERY high cost of living. I was told the possible 'starting' salary in the interview and at this point I am thinking - roomates? live in a bad part of the neighborhood?

Seriously, though, I think if I ever want to vacation again or have money to retire, I need to consider working in the summers. So, my question to other educators is - what do you do to earn extra money in the summer? Do any of these earn a lot? (or how much do they earn relative to your current salary?)

Ideas I am entertaining so far: adjunct teaching a course at college in the summer; summer school teaching at the school; try to freealance write?
    I also noticed that tutoring in some areas seems to earn a lot of money - didn't know if it was truly worth the time investiment or if it is feasible in the summer.

Any ideas that others are willing to share would be appreciated.

3. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

May 18, 2005

I do nothing in the summers, especially teaching related. You need a break from students in general. In fact, I live in the "bad" part of town and have great neighbors. You have to decide what is best for you. As for retirement, don't you pay into a retirement fund? The place I live is outpricing too many people in the area. We bought our house just before the boom in the housing market so we are lucky. We have four people living off of my bottom rung salary and are doing just fine, but we do make sacrifices (all of our vacations are related to us, ie-Grandma and Grandpa...) You can live off a little in a place that costs a lot, you just need to be creative. We got bikes to use this summer for around town instead of driving. We rent movies rather than go out to the movies. We camp rather than hotels (ugh, not my favorite).

If you really want a job for the summer may I suggest a mindlessly easy job in comparison to what you do during the school year. If you are not careful you will become a statistic.

4. D2theMcV

D2theMcV Rookie

May 18, 2005

I teach summer school. It's good pay, just a few hours each morning for half the summer, and very casual low-stress environment. It would be even better if you could do an "enrichment" course, because the students chose to be there.

I also bartend year-round (although, not as much during school year, and even less during football season). I've heard a few horror stories of schools/admins putting pressure on teachers who bartend, but unless there's something in your contract, and esp. if it's a public school, they can't make you quit. Fortunately, I live in a very German community where people like their beer, so it doesn't hurt me at all (probably helps with some people too!).

Something I did last year, and may do again this year is working a fireworks stand. I realize there are geographic restrictions, but if it's available, it's not bad. If you could start your own, you could do well. The guy that owns the one I worked is a teacher (and a friend of mine). He said most years he makes more with the tent than his teacher salary. And he's not doing too shabby with that either.

I agree that the best option is something entirely mindless that pays really well. Other ideas would be landscaping/mowing, golf course, amusement park (if available), swimming pool/park...just think "seasonal."

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

May 22, 2005

I agree with D2.....Try to get into a summer school program in your area, even in your school district. Usually the hours are 8-1, most times not with your regular kids, and it is not as stressful as the group sizes are smaller. What about a learning center, such as Sylvan or Huntington, if you have them in your area? You name your hours, are in an air conditioned center, are provided with all materials and only work with one student at a time. Tutor - post your name and hours with local schools or on their web sites or just through word of mouth.

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 22, 2005

Working at a camp is a good summer job, last summer, I was able to save most of my teaching pay (we get our $ spread out over 12 months) and live off of my camp pay (unusual, but I have been working there for years)so it really did provide some nice cash!
    This summer I plan to tutor or even work for a temp agency!
    good luck! I know how bad salary in high cost of living places can be...due to my situation, I live w mom and dad!

7. gigi

gigi Groupie

May 29, 2005

I work at a summer camp, have done it for the past 7 years. I earn my tax money. At first it was necessity, my husband lost his job and we needed the income. Now it is just what I do in the summer. I work in the office, so I am not "teaching" anyone, and the people are great. I manage to get a few weeks off before school starts so I have some down time.

8. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jun 19, 2005

Hello, I am a little confused about the need for summer work. Don't teachers get a paycheck during the summer if they opt to?

9. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Jun 19, 2005

Not all districts work that way. Many are on a 10 month plan. Most teachers won't even get a paycheck until Oct. if they start school in Sept.

10. D2theMcV

D2theMcV Rookie

Jun 20, 2005

I get a paycheck year round. I also have to work a second job year round. There are others that don't need to supplement during the school year, but financially must work during the summer.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 20, 2005

I like mindless, D2, but not sweat! I just tutor two mornings a week at my school. I only have 4 kids this year, kind of slim.

12. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jun 21, 2005

We also get paid year-round, but since my hubby is pursuing his degree now, I'm working at Sylvan to supplement our income. It's good pay, short hours (typically 2-3 hrs/shift), and no planning or take-home work.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 3, 2005

I looked into Sylvan, but what they were willing to pay me was not worth it. I'm tutoring this summer, I only have one child, but I don't have to pay taxes on it. I tutored more last summer. This school year, I'm going to work in the AfterSchool program. Think I signed up to do K-3Language Arts.

14. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 3, 2005

Check out your local community college. It's awesome fun, and you might even get some of your students again, all grown up. The pay is pretty good, too.

15. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 7, 2005

I have done some tutoring this summer and it has been pretty good pay. I also have my own at home business that I do part time year round and that is a great way to supplement my family's income.

16. erinkate

erinkate Rookie

Jul 10, 2005

summer jobs

hi everyone,

I just finished my first year of teaching and am working part time doing home based services for children birth to 3. Its great because I make my own hours and basically get paid to play with little kids. Its a great job to earn extra money (I get paid on a 12 month schedule) and keep me from going stir crazy.

Kate

17. Azelia

Azelia Rookie

Jul 11, 2005

I don't know why anyone would really want to work during the summer. I am fortunate to have my pay broken into 12 months. I have an incredibly busy schedule during the school year teaching (and all that entails), pursing a master's degree, taking my middle son to t-ball, taking my oldest son to cub scouts, and taking my daughter tumbling, washing clothes, running errands, buying groceries, cleaning house, mowing the grass...need I go on? I have four children, and I wouldn't trade my time with them. Pretty soon they will be old enough to NOT want Mommy around.The summer is our time to kick back, relax, and vacation as much as possible.

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 11, 2005

I didn't say I wanted to work!! But since my husband is under employed, the little extra I make during the summer provides for some fun stuff that we wouldn't otherwise be able to do.

19. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 11, 2005

I've actually thought about working at a craft store or a nursery. However, this could be dangerous because I would probably owe them money. I find that I get bored after a month or so and need something to do. I become very creative at home in order to occupy my time (I don't have any children or pets). But I've also thought about working to save some money for the school year. What about working at a zoo, bakery, nursery, or craft store?

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 11, 2005

I am working at a preschool as an aid. I told them I didn't want to teach and I just needed something to occupy my time for a bit and earn some extra cash. It is from 830-1130 for 3 weeks. I am working with 3 years old which is a big difference from the kids I am used to teaching. I know a few of the teachers and some of the kids because it is the preschool where I used to teach kindergarten!

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2005

I too would end up owing the craft store money, but think of the discount!! Same with a book store or a teacher supply store. If money is not the object you can always volunteer. Humane Societies seem to always be looking for volunteers! My problem would be that I would want to take the cute little kittens & puppies home with me! Guess that's why my husband won't let me foster kittens & puppies.