montessori-toddler room

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by aminem, Jun 4, 2005.

1. aminem

aminem Rookie

Jun 4, 2005

I teach at a Montessori School in the 2.5 and under room. I've worked there for almost a year. I try to keep the schedule as consistent as possible but change it as needed based on the needs of the students. Does any teach with the same age that has a great schedule they could share with me? I'm trying to find what works the best. Whats best for the students. :love:

I also need new ideas for table work(centers). We do paper work as well. Homework is sent home three times a week.

I would just like to hear from anyone with valuable ideas for me. :)

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Aug 28, 2005

What kind of homework do you send home for toddlers?

4. aminem

aminem Rookie

Aug 31, 2005

I asked myself that same question when I started this job. The children have amazed me with what they can do at such a young age. Now as I begin a new year with new and younger students I am again asking myself that question.

Last year we did a worksheet in class everyday. This year I am going to start with two worksheets in class a week because the children are younger. So there was a lot to choose from to send home for homework.

It depends on the child. I send:

*tracing homework( different types of lines, numbers, shapes etc)
    *math worksheets (counting objects-circle correct number, put numbers in order, match the numbers etc.)
    *worksheets dealing with concepts such as same/different, matching colors and shapes etc.
    *Also homework dealing with the sight words they have learned. The school I work for has develop their own books for these young children to "read". We have two years old reading more than twenty words and reading them in sentences. It's really amazing. They all progress at their own pace.

I usually try to send language arts two times a week and mathematics once a week. As I said it really depends on the child. The homework I send is something they know how to do on their own.(they have completed the same worksheet or one similar to it in class) All the parents do is explain the work to the child, encourage them, and give guidance as needed

5. MR ARMS PKTEACH

MR ARMS PKTEACH Rookie

Aug 31, 2005

Homework is important for younger children. I do not send homework every week, but I normally give an assignment to be completed at home with a parent. It is usually a collage, or sequencing actiivty. I just think its important that the children and parents sit down together and do something with eachother. I come from a school where no parents were involved.

6. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Sep 1, 2005

I never heard of a Montessori school giving homework to toddlers or pre-primary 3-6. Even in 6th grade my son did not receive daily homework. He is going to a different school this year. It is a private school, but it is based on the the lines of a traditional public school. The homework that he has been sent home thus far has been "busy" work with no real learning involved. Personally, at age 2-6 I think children should be working on motor skills. There is dozens of ways to do this without papers. If parents can just teach a child to respect and teach them to listen then half my job will be done! :)

7. talk to me

talk to me Rookie

Sep 1, 2005

Montessori for toddlers sound intrusting, :eek: i teach 3-6 i do give them homework, very simple. if our sound of the week is "h" they have to bring something beginning with h, like hen, hat, etc., i remember last year one child made a hand print as his home work. they just loved it. and it helped them to remember their sounds.

8. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Sep 1, 2005

That seems understandable, but doing worksheets at age 2? How do the children have the fine motor skills that is necessary before using a pencil. That is what the practical life and sensorial works are suppose to help develop. Teach the child pouring skills, buttoning, zipping, snapping, carrying, etc. Paperwork should come much later IMHO. I have taken OT classes that focuses on handwriting for the young child. In these classes I have learned the importance of gross motor skills. A child must have the opportunity for these skills to develop. That is why outdoor play is vital to this development.

9. carriescandles

carriescandles Rookie

Sep 5, 2005

I am an AMS certified Toddler Teacher and I agree with pattypoo I would never allow homework to go home with a toddler. I dont even agree with worksheets at this age. You are right on board with the life skills that is what the montessori toddler class is all about also it contiues in the 3-6 class. At around 4 1/2 to 5 yrs some paper work can start but I would suggest very limited. My 12 year old went to Montessori from age 3 to 10 and my 7 year old has been in since 3 years with a variety of different teachers and styles and none of them sent home worksheets. I would suggest that your director and teachers rethink the worksheets and homework for Toddlers.

10. aminem

aminem Rookie

Sep 10, 2005

At the school I work for it is a requirement for all class toddlers-primary grades to receive homework. All classes do paperwork as well. I do not know what is typical of a montessori school. I am a certified teacher but not montessori. We do provide practical life and sensorial experiences as well. As far as outdoor play my class is outside 4 times out of the day. (the school provides before and after school care). It is also all year round. Is this typical. I've went with what I have been told to do and what I have learned from the other teachers. I actually sent home a homework sheet this week that I thought was very appropriate for this age. The next day I was questioned on why I sent it home by the director. I was told it was too easy. I didn't agree with this at all.

11. Jacqboo

Jacqboo Rookie

Sep 15, 2005

Where have all the children gone...

It is sad that so much is expected form such little people these days. We keep pushing and pushing for more from them because "so much of the brain is developed by the age of five". Someone who makes the "rules" for children has decided that if we don't stuff everything possible into their brains by 5 then they cannot learn anything more. I find it quite interesting that as we have become more obsessed with pushing more onto our children, the educational status of the United States continues to decline.

12. carriescandles

carriescandles Rookie

Sep 15, 2005

I agree, my toddler class is about learning independence. The children come in the morning and they hand up their tote bags by identifying their picture above a hook. They remove their shoes then put on slippers to help keep the floor clean and help them learn to take off their shoes (eye hand coord). Then they have a variety of work(wooden toys no two alike) to choose from. THey remove it from the shelf, do the work, then take it apart and put it back on the shelf for another student to try. They wash their hands at a sink their size. We have tables and chairs their size. They help us prepare snack by cutting cheese with a cheese cutter, we bake bread, they help mix the dough, knead it, and shape it. In the end they get to end it. They come to the snack table and I ask if they want each item they answer "yes please" (grace and courtesy). They carry their food on a plate to the table, sit down at a chair and eat politely, they have a cloth napkin with which to wipe their mouths. The then come up and pour water from a small pitcher into a small cup. We have them carry the cup with 2 hands to the table where they can drink it without a lid on it. When they are finished they put their dishes in a large silver tub. They wipe their table and push in their chair At the end of the day they put their slippers in their cubby marked by a family picture so they know it belongs to them. They go get their shoes and they put them on or we help them put them on by placing our hands over theirs. They are required to wear velcro shoes so they are able to do this. They are also required to wear shorts and pants with elastic waist to allow them to be able to pull them up and down themselves and tshirts they can put on themselves. This is really what our class is all about. If they leave at the end of the year dressing themselves and sitting at a table with manners and putting on their own shoes I have done my job. They have plenty of time to learn their abc's and 123's. THey are only 2 and 3 years old for goodness sake. Sorry for the long reply but I have two children of my own and they grow up way too fast already so we shouldt rush it.

13. MVincent

MVincent New Member

Sep 18, 2005

Montessori does not have homework. That goes against "Follow the Child"
    -Miriam

14. carriescandles

carriescandles Rookie

Sep 18, 2005

i agree 100%.

Carrie

15. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Sep 25, 2005

Okay, I find this fascinating because I am NOT a Montessori teacher (Spe ed 0-5) & Monday I start a new job (18mon-3 toddler class, 0-18mon home based), but I use many of the techniques/practices/materials since they work so well with spe ed which of course it has its roots in. But in studying principles & practices of ECE I recall you could not even work at a Montessori school with being Montessori certified. Is this true?

16. carriescandles

carriescandles Rookie

Sep 25, 2005

Because Montessori is not a trademarked word anyone can call their program "montessori" however in order to be a certified school you must have at least one trained teacher per classroom. At least that is my understanding from American Montessori Society which I have my cerification from. Our school is certified through them. There is another orginazation American Montessori International also. I believe they have the same requirement. However with all professions, professionals always have different trains of thoughts on techniques. So each teacher adapts a classroom and style of teaching based on needs of the children. However the basics do need to be met. I try to stick to hands on methods in may class at all times. And in a Toddler environment the most important concepts are self care, independence, safety, and respect. I believe these are the foundations for life.

Carrie

17. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Sep 25, 2005

I agree Carrie! I feel if you get the life skills down academics will follow. It is the kids who get the pushed down curriculum that overshadows the developmental that often have a lack of respect & "someone will do it for me" attitude. In spe ed we work really hard toward independence for oour little guys!

18. toddlertx

toddlertx New Member

Jan 7, 2006

I agree with you too Carrie!

:)

19. JulieC

JulieC Rookie

Jan 9, 2006

HI I am a recently qualified montessori teacher and I notice that everyone is focusing on your homework and not answering your question. I allow 9.15 - 10.30 for montessori exercises - each child is free to go to the shelf and select an exercise that has been shown to them. I use this time to do sandpaper letters and numbers with individuals. As each child puts away after themselves there is not much of a tidy up before break. If the weather permits we have outdoor play followed by lunch. After lunch we do a group activity - this could be playdough, a craft activity or a worksheet. While I know that we should follow the child and allow her/him to select their own work I think it is important to prepare kids for mainstream school where they will be expected to do what they are told when they are told, so I always include a group activity, which although not compulsory, is strongly encouraged. We then have circle time, with a song and a story and discussion related to our week's theme and then home.
    With regards to work centers I rotate the practical life shelf every two - three weeks only keeping the popular ones

20. toddlertx

toddlertx New Member

Jan 9, 2006

I am assuming that you are talking about a 3-6 year old class...not a toddler class, right?

21. carriescandles

carriescandles Rookie

Jan 9, 2006

I am talking about a Toddler Class I am not sure what the other person is referring too. I have found no evidence that children need to sit and do group activities (other than circle time) in order to move on to a 3-6 class or another environment. They adapt just like adults adapt to new situations or work environments. I still cant imagine having everyone sit and do the same thing at the same time in my class. The only exception is we have group snack although they all finish at different times or some choose not to have snack at all and we allow them to continue to work at this time. Just my thoughts based on my class experience and training.