Monday Vent

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jem, Sep 8, 2008.

1. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Sep 8, 2008

You're right, it's a half moon. Oh dear. I can only imagine a full moon. Maybe I'll call in sick that day... :whistle:

2. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 8, 2008

2008 Sep 15 09:15 Mon
    2008 Oct 14 20:04 Tue
    2008 Nov 13 06:19 Thu
    2008 Dec 12 16:39 Fri
    2009 Jan 11 03:28 Sun
    2009 Feb 9 14:51 Mon
    2009 Mar 11 02:40 Wed
    2009 Apr 9 14:58 Thu
    2009 May 9 04:03 Sat
    2009 Jun 7 18:13 Sun
    2009 Jul 7 09:23 Tue
    2009 Aug 6 00:57 Thu
    2009 Sep 4 16:05 Fri
    2009 Oct 4 06:11 Sun
    2009 Nov 2 19:15 Mon
    2009 Dec 2 07:33 Wed
    2009 Dec 31 19:15 Thu

Now, everyone is set on when the madness will truly begin... LOL

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

AW, Jem, I'm sorry you had such a bad day. You have such neat ideas and such a nice room, those darn kids should be lucky to have you as a teacher!

I don't want to jinx anything, but my kids haven't been too bad so far! This is my fourth year of teaching and plus I'm back to half day kinder where we move very quickly, so I"m sure I'm just getting better at dealing with these little rugrats. Today, they were a bit swirly, I must admit, but that may also because that I changed our center routine completely.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

:lol:

5. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Sep 8, 2008

This is week 5 and you would of thought it was the first day of school in my room!! Constant talking, no one listening, one child hit another child in the stomach, and then, no afternoon recess because of the rain. I took 2 tylenol but had no diet coke or chocolate in the room. After school, went to the store for a diet coke and chocolate!!

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 8, 2008

After school I was telling a co-worker that I came to school in a good mood and that doesn't happen often on a Monday morning:lol:. My students lost out; I might have broken out the treats today if they remembered how to behave:D.

7. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Oh my goodness, 26 students. I have 22 and thought I was in bad shape.

8. teacher82A

teacher82A Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Today was the day I decided to try my Yakker Tracker. Well, I had two boys who were just fixated on it and could not get any work done. My "problem" child was really ticking me off, even more so than usual. On a typical day, he'll refuse to work, throw his papers and pencils on the floor, color on himself, sharpen his pencils with scissors, throw his chair, repeatedly bang his textbook on his desk, etc., etc. But today, he kept on trying to make the Y.T. go off - with the red light and siren, by talking way more loudly then he usually does, marching/stomping to his seat, noisily sliding back his chair. The whole time, he's staring at the Y.T. I told him I was on to him and knew what he was trying to do. Of course that just sent him into one of his typical screaming tirades, insisting that he wasn't! On top of this, the rest of the class was talking more than they normally do. I hope tomorrow is better for all of us.

9. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Ah Mondays, don't you love them? The kids "seem" to forgot what they knew on Friday. I have a couple of girls that constantly try to be the teacher. It's slowly getting on my nerves. But nothing else too outrageous. I had my first student (in this class) tells me he loves me today. What a sweet way to end the day. :)

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

I'm a firm believer that the first three weeks are the worst of the year. I kept reminding myself of that for the past two weeks, and it got me through (although the kids were relatively good). Friday was fantastic. So today really caught me off guard. But it's still within the three week time frame. Hopefully tomorrow will be better, with Thursday and Friday being great again. But today? Pure madness. It started with 20 minutes of sitting in solid, non-moving traffic, adding a half hour onto my already-hour commute, making me late. Then a boy who told me Friday he 'didn't want to' do the homework actually DIDN'T do the homework (shocker), and his mother marched him in the room and yelled at him in front of me, so he rebelled all morning, smashing fingers in desks and laughing, etc. Kids out of seats-SO many kids out of seats, talking so so loud, blatantly ignoring my requests to stop and sit down, rude comments, etc. BLECH. My dh is making me a pancake dinner and then I'm going to snuggle with my bunny. Tomorrow we're going to start on a new foot and hopefully get through the week. Thursday night is open house, and I don't want to be a grump for that!

11. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Sorry Jem---hope you sleep well. I am scared to go to school tomorrow because today we were closed in precaution for Hurricane IKE...which never happened here so I actually had a great day off! I am afraid of what the kids will be like and I think we will hear about being closed from the parents tomorrow!

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

I'm sitting here fuming because I was stupid enough to open a voice mail from an unidentified number. It turned out to be from a parent who is "concerned because it seems that her son is getting into a lot of trouble and the punishments seems to far outweigh what he does......."

ARGHHHHHH! This kid never admits that he did anything wrong and argues with me over everything. My policy is that if I am in the middle of teaching and the kid is talking, and I've already moved over towards him, and already stopped and stared at him, if he can't get quiet I just point to the floor beside me and continue teaching. It means sit right here, get yourself under control, when I have a second I will tell you what I expect, ask you to repeat it, solicit a promise to do as told, then send you back to your seat.

HE ALWAYS INSISTS ON TELLING ME IMMEDIATELY THAT HE WASN'T DOING WHATEVER IT IS THAT HE THINKS I'M ONTO HIM ABOUT.

Today I lost my temper and told him to stop talking to me and explaining things. I wasn't interested; no one is interested; and I wanted to teach. Indeed, I was in the back of the room watching some students explain things at the front, and no one was paying any attention to him.

HE STARTED LAUGHING AT ME! So I yelled. Oops. Told him to leave my classroom immediately and to go sit in Ms. J's room. He started in again, and I yelled "NOW!"

He goes home and tells his mother that he wasn't doing anything wrong, that I got onto him for nothing, and that I even had to send the P down to talk to him. Total lie. The P was down to talk to me and never even spoke to the kid when I brought him out into the hall after I was done teaching. Never said a word.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!! Why did I open that voice mail? The mother thinks she's special because she is the PTO vice president. The kid thinks he can do no wrong. I think I'm not going to be able to be patient and professional tomorrow when I speak to her.

Sorry. I needed this vent. I need to go to bed and I"m royally p-od.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

Oh, yes. I have one of those. He argues everything. 'But she was doing it, too!' 'I wasn't doing anything!' 'Whaaat???'

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

There is a response to EVERYTHING! He lost his whole recess today because he couldn't stop arguing. You would think he would eventually learn to just stop talking at some point.

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

Exactly...... I can't stand arguers. Is that even spelled right? I don't care right now.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

Well, I guess the best thing to do with those type of kids who argue is to not even respond... or do what Fred JOnes suggests. So, if you tell a kids to knock something off and they start to argue that they weren't doing it, Fred Jones suggests to repeat exactly what you just said, with no emotion involved. It takes two to argue so eventually, the kid won't have you to argue with if all you are doing is being an emotionless robot repeating your directions over and over again.

16. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 8, 2008

Mine too!!! Today was nuts!?! I was exhausted and some how my students had a TON of energy by the end of the day. It didn't help that they showed up 10 minutes late from gym, with none of their stuff and none of their homework. *sigh* I'm lucky my schedule switches around so I don't always have them coming in THAT late.

But I let them have it--- YOU'RE FIFTH GRADERS! TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY!?! I KNOW YOU CAN DO SIMPLE THINGS AS BRING IN YOUR NOTEBOOK AND HOMEWORK!!!

I tried showing them it would be in THEIR best interest to start remembering what to bring to class--- I don't care that their lockers are just down the hallway.

I felt horrible though because after that I could tell I put them in a bad mood. So I knocked off my temper and bad feelings and tried cheering up the class. I hope it worked... I really do.

And tomorrow we get to do it all over again :)

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 8, 2008

I'm horrible at hiding my emotional tones. :blush: Instead I just look at them--- without any emotion honestly. I think just having the teacher STOP teaching in mid-sentence and look them straight in the eye freaks them out. :p

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

Full moon isn't until next Monday, the 15th. Imagine it will only get worse!!!!!!!!!!:dizzy::lol:

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, I didn't mean literally. It's funny, because we're actually doing moon observations in science, so I KNOW it's not a full moon. I meant figuratively, but I guess that didn't come out in my writing. Any day when the behavior is THIS off, it's a figurative full moon. ;)

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

Oh, believe me, we do the same thing at work. My co-teacher comes running into my room frantically every once in a while hollering, "IS IT A FULL MOON????!!!!!!!!" I had a rough day today as well. NEW girl is causing a lot of chaos and I am about to go crazy! Changing seating at the table, considering rearranging my room, etc...al because of ONE little girl.grrrrrrr