Monday Vent

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jem, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

It's Monday. Apparently it's also a full moon tonight. My kids were NUTS. They wouldn't stop talking, wouldn't stay in their seats, wouldn't keep their hands off each other, wouldn't listen to me-it was like they just decided they didn't care at all about anything today. I was stunned all day. I had students literally stand with their back to me and ignore me when I asked them to sit down. I had three students loose their entire lunch recess, and I could have given that consequence to the entire class. I'm so drained. I usually focus on the positive, but today, I'm starting a thread for vents. Get it out of your system-anyone else have a rotten day? Misery loves company, and I wouldn't mind seeing that it's not just me as a teacher-that these kids really were just NUTS! :mad:

3. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Sep 8, 2008

Strange...that's how my class this year is most days. Today they were great. Maybe the full moon works in reverse for them....

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

My class was better than normal today as well (same as mclaugcr).

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

Your classes sucked the good behavior juice out of my class!!!

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Sep 8, 2008

I came home cried today if that tells you how my day went.

I have 5 special needs students in my room and 1 girl that has other issues. All 6 had some kind of issue today (including 1 having a full out meltdown where I had to call for backup).

My class would not stop talking, etc, etc. To top it off 2 tech people came in to work on my student computers (unannounced!), rearranged my furniture, took down a decoration, and turned on the computers. They left my room like that! They didn't put anything back how they found it! I was so livid. I wrote the tech dept. a nasty email.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

cMcD, I sympathize. I was actually hunted down in my sanctuary of a computer lab by two parents, complaining they did not know the homework policy. They hadn't checked our website, nor had they talked to their kids. I feel like my head is on fire, and I just want to fall asleep right now... but I have an hour commute home.

I'll toast a drink to you tonight.

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2008

My day started with a parent (actually a grandparent) calling me before 8:00 a.m....I could tell it was not going to be a good day. I lost my lunch due to a PPT that was scheduled for tomorrow, had recess duty (which I normally don't mind, but with no lunch, it was a LONG afternoon for me), and before I left I found out that another one of my students is transferring...so I'll be down to a class of only 9 and now I have a better chance than ever of my classroom being shut down.
    I hope that things get better tomorrow...for everyone that had a crappy day today!

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 8, 2008

My kids where better than usual for me today, but they still have a serious issue of keeping their hands/feet to themselves in line. Sigh...and I'm forced to make a reading spots poster b/c they just can't pick good spots on their own.

I've got 26 kids...that is too many clothespins to move every day!

10. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Sep 8, 2008

Lol, thanks! Luckily I didn't have parent woes today. That would have sent me over the edge.

Did I mention that one of my darlings was calling me "stupid, lazy, and mean" today at lunch to his classmates that later told me. Let's just say that tomorrow he's going to be writing the definition of respect a few times.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 8, 2008

Hahahah all of your difficult "full moon" days are my usual days with special ed! One of my kids attacked a specials teacher and another student, one kid decided to throw milk all over the lunch room (guess who had to clean it up), and one kid decided to plop on the ground 4 times while in the middle of a walk outside. And today was a pretty good day! :dizzy:

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 8, 2008

I hate to tell ya, but it isn't a full moon. But I can tell you, full moons are WORSE!! No joke!!

13. kellinakmp

kellinakmp New Member

Sep 8, 2008

i feel for you...this is my 2nd year of teaching. last year i was in kindergarten (loved it), this year i was put into 4th grade (grateful to have a job, but the older kids drive me crazy)! i have 28 kids and about half of them have some type of issue. the other half are wonderful. this is going to be a long year...

14. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 8, 2008

Ouch it seems like a lot of teachers are running across the same problem. I was out today because I was sick I just hope mine didn't show there behinds. Good Luck. Full Moons are the worse for most teachers.

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 8, 2008

OMG!!! I couldn't believe how much talking that I had to do today. I was constantly redirecting my students. I didn't even have time to finish drinking 1 bottle of water. Right now, I feel like I am losing my voice. I stopped off on the way home for a slurpee.:p To top things off, I got a new student whom is waaayyyy below my other students in every subject. He is in grade 2 and totally has no clue in how to print his name:eek:.

I was finally going to workout after school today but I am too tired:(.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 8, 2008

:confused:What do you mean it's not a full moon?!!

17. momof6

momof6 Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Me Too

All I can say is "wow". My day was less than wonderful. I have a group of girls that is out of control. Talk Talk Talk Talk and more talk. I took two cell phones away today *in fifth grade mind you*, had a child refuse to ride her taxi home *she was still at school an hour and a half later*, and had a seriously frustrating meeting afterschool. Ya gotta love Mondays.

18. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 8, 2008

Well, here's some venting to go with yours, Jem! Overall, not a bad day, BUT. What is the DEAL with a certain number of kids "forgetting" how to behave after doing so well for two weeks? And the EXCUSES. I keep from scowling too much by thinking of those old Bill Cosby records ("It wasn't me, mom, I swear! It was this GUY who just busted open the door and ran in here, and, and, I tol' him to stop but he wouldn't!....) :D

Anyway, they waste time and then interrupt to find out what's going on. Grr... I showed my claws today. Hehehe!

19. Olivesmom

Olivesmom Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Are you sure you weren't in my class today? THat is exactly how my day was and I am afraid it might be how the year goes. It didn't help that I was crabby already....I hate days like today. Plus suddenly we have no music teacher and my school doesn't seem to even bother getting subs so I had no break either!!! Good times.

20. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

I could tell it was a full moon the adults were as bad as the kids :)

21. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 8, 2008

Mine were a bit off - first started off all in a daze and like they didn't care then they got rowdy a bit, then by afternoon and after lunch probably because they were in a after lunch coma they were settled down a bit.

:rolleyes:

Yeah there's no full moon - so that's not the reason - maybe being in school for a bit...???