Moments where you just want to laugh!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by linswin23, Sep 22, 2012.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 22, 2012

Yesterday in my study hall one of my students came up to my desk, dictionary in hand. She asked me, "Do you have any dictionaries that are in alphabetical order?" (This is a 7th grader) I thought I was going crazy or didn't hear her because I was super tired/allergy ridden yesterday. I asked her to repeat the question and yes, she asked it again!!!

HAHAHAH!!! I didn't laugh because she was DEAD serious. She was even a little concerned. I told her to look at the words and I promised that all dictionaries are in alphabetical order.

I love middle school kids!

3. applecore

applecore Devotee

Sep 22, 2012

Poor soul. (Stiffling a laugh)

Try explaining what an encylopedia is without getting a response like "Oh it's Wikipedia!" Uhm, no, it's not.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2012

Oh man the other day I started laughing during a student's presentation!! I felt soooo bad!!! For whatever reason I started thinking about something that happened years ago and I just busted out in laughter. I apologized and assured the kid I wasn't laughing at her. Ooops... :rolleyes:

5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 22, 2012

I had to laugh the other day when one of our vocab words was "normally" and one of my students seriously didn't know what it meant. It was funny because he really was a child that wouldn't know what "normal" was!

6. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 22, 2012

I now teach 7/8 Social Studies. Good ol' Lake Titicaca came up yesterday. I hate that (horribly named) lake:banghead:

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2012

Oh poor dear.

8. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 22, 2012

I remember when Ronald Reagan died, I had the TV coverage of the funeral on the TV in my classroom. Students were taking a test, and I told them that they could watch the TV when they finished. (I had it on mute.) After I said that, one girl said, completely seriously, "Wait, he's the guy in the box?" :dizzy: That was coming from a high school student! She didn't even know who he was or that a former president had just died!

9. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 23, 2012

Oh wow, gotta love our job!

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2012

I had just finished explaining a language assignment and asked my students where they should look if they needed help. One student eagerly raised her hand, and when I called on her confidently answered, "In our math folders!" Luckily, she was the first one to realize what she had said and start laughing.

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2012

We give a standardized reading inventory 3 times a year. Last Friday I was giving it the first time. It requires the students to use magnetic letters to move sounds around. One of my kids told me "we can't move letters around in a word. Only God has the power to mover letters around" I about peed my pants and the teacher who was watching me give this test was crying from laughing so hard. Btw I teach first grade.

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 23, 2012

A friend of mine was doing a get to know you activity with her class on the first day. They had to pair up and learn three things about their partner. Then they had to introduce their partner to the class. Here's how one introduction went:

Jimmy: This is Johnny, he has a brother and a sister, he went to PEI this summer, and he hates Norwegians.

Johnny: I didn't say that! I said my favourite colour was blue!

Apparently, this third grader couldn't remember the third fact, so he made up the fact about hating Norwegians. It cracked me up.

13. storyh

storyh Companion

Sep 23, 2012

When I taught second grade we were reading a math money poem that had the word kumquat in it. For some reason this is the funniest word I have ever heard. I couldn't even read the poem bc every time I came to this word I busted up laughing. My TA had to finish for me. I am trying not to laugh as I type this haha!!

14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2012

The funniest thing ever for me in PE was a rainy day and we were playing 20 questions (5th grade). I had a boy beside me up front.
    He had the word (toilet). Shane was very smart and super quiet.
    Never said much. One kid asked the question "can you make music on it?" Shane looked at me and we both fell on the floor laughing. Only time I ever saw him crack a smile.

15. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 24, 2012

We were discussing the difference between "fare" and "fair".

Me: Does anyone know what a fare is?

Kid: Oh, that's when a guy cheats on his wife! :eek:

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 24, 2012

How about a song to lessen the awkwardness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I0Hee533Iw

17. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Sep 24, 2012

LOL!! I thought having students turn to page 69 was bad, but I think this would be worse!!

18. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Sep 24, 2012

It's not the first time, and it won't be the last,because it happens to someone every year.
    A little boy came out of the bathroom last week and tried to convince me that his shoe was wet because he slipped and fell.

right.
    You were in a stall.
    and the only way that it got wet is if you were standing on the toilet.
    and you fell all right..with one foot in the toilet.:rolleyes:

The sincere little face made me want to crack up, but I was able to hold it in.

19. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Sep 24, 2012

A few years ago, three of my guys were having a side conversation during one of those hot June days toward the end of the year when the workload is light. The first kid says, "Well, Philadelphia is the capital of Pennsylvania." The second one makes a face and says, "What?? The capital of Pennsylvania is Harrisburg!" The third kid looks at the second one and says, "You idiot! Harrisburg is the capital of Philadelphia!"

That prompted my routine (which the kids love) where I get my astonished look on my face and say, "Did you just call HIM an idiot and say that Harrisburg is the capital of Philadelphia? That's it! I quit. I quit!" I slap down my classroom keys, start walking toward the door, and point to one of the kids and tell them, "Turn out the lights, lock the door and tell the office that I quit before you leave. I'm obviously not making a dent here."
    :lol:

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2012

LOL. This often happens when you teach social studies.

Last year, we were reading a news article on President Obama and after looking at his picture, a 7th grader said, "Oh, I've seen him ... he's the President?" I was like "Who the hell did you think he was?" (although I worded it better) and she was like, "Just some man on tv." :eek:

21. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Sep 25, 2012

OH, dear! And sometimes I think I'm a little uneducated when it comes to politics....yikes! :eek: