MO teachers - Right to Work

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JimG, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2018

You said that your colleagues were late "all the time" and that they lecture students for being late, and then you called them hypocrites. To me, this speaks toward an ignorant or ineffective admin, which isn't a place I'd like to be. You have other opinions, of course, which is valid. My point is that we each determine for ourselves whether the pros of our jobs outweigh the cons (which is the language you used upthread, I believe).

My concern is that, based on how it's coming across to me here, you're being really judgey about whose pro and con list is "right" and, spoiler alert, yours is the one that's right. What I'm saying is that each of us makes our own lists, and that's okay. Your pro list includes money, and your con list includes rampant sexual harassment. My pro list includes a reasonable degree of autonomy and my con list includes student behavior problems. You've decided that the money outweighs the sexual harassment (along with all the other pros and cons), and I've decided that the autonomy outweighs the student behavior problems. We are both right. And yet you just can't-stop-won't-stop berating people, especially public school teachers, for the things on their con lists, without regard to what might be on their pro lists. Is my point making sense?

It's dismissive to suggest that people who don't prefer an environment rife with sexual harassment are people who just can't get over it. Sexual harassment isn't a big blip on your radar, but it is for some people. Money is a big blip on your radar, but it isn't for some people. Are you understanding my point? Everyone has their own "radar" in terms of what they're willing to put up with at work.

As for your final comment that I seem to get regularly outraged by the slightest thing...well, let's just agree to disagree on that one. I didn't say that your comment was a "gross insult". I said that it was gross, as in stinky, lousy, rotten. I also explained why I felt that it was gross, stinky, lousy, rotten, in that it reads to me as arrogant and condescending.

AmyMyNamey, bella84 and a2z like this.
  2. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jan 7, 2018

Actually, I know a few single women with children who are veteran teachers and living below the poverty line. This is Indiana, mind you, where it is illegal to pay teachers based on years of service or education.

3. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jan 7, 2018

I never said it doesn't happen. I said it's rare. A single parent who works as a teacher and has multiple children could very likely be living under the poverty line. Fortunately, this isn't a common scenario.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2018

Your post actually makes a lot of sense. Touché.

I don’t think I win. I am not saying others should get over it. I’m saying I’ve experienced it so often that it doesn’t phase me anymore. I just report it immediately and move on with my day. It doesn’t behoovw my life in anyway to keep harping in it.

Lastly, the school environment is not rife with sexual harassment. Teenagers make those kind of comments and make sexual gestures all the time, on or off campus.

As I explained in a prior post in a different thread, I said those 2-3 teachers are hypocrites for ragging on students for being late when they are late frequently themselves. That was the gist of the posts.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  5. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jan 8, 2018

I did specify that it happens in Indiana, just a stone's throw from Hell. :(