MO teachers - Right to Work

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JimG, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2018

My state is the same way. I have no real opinion on unions, but I've been happy so far with right to work--so far it usually keeps both sides honest.

2. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jan 2, 2018

I'm in Missouri. A couple things to note:

1. The mandatory retirement rate for PSRS is actually 14.5% of our salary, and the school district must match it. While it's a large chunk of money, I'm not complaining, and I know of only one very young person who is very far from retirement who has complained. Most people who have done their research and understand the system seem to appreciate it. Missouri has one of the strongest retirement systems in the entire county. Our system is funded, unlike many other states. Unless the politicians change the system and take our pension away from us, we don't have to worry about the money not being there when it comes time to retire, nor do we have to wait until old-age to retire (in most cases). There are a lot of things to complain about related to education in Missouri. Our retirement system is not one of them.

2. Missouri has already had a law against teachers unionizing (outside of KC and STL city limits) for many years. The Right to Work law will have no effect on teachers, as teachers unions have already ceased to exist. MSTA and MNEA are technically associations, not unions, despite the fact that they are often commonly referred to as unions. Associations are voluntary across the state, and, as the OP stated, most join simply for the liability insurance, as collective bargaining in the traditional sense is not a guarantee through the associations. Many districts voluntarily participate in collective bargaining with the teacher associations, but it's nothing like a true union's collective bargaining. I worked in Chicago for one year and got to experience the difference between a full-fledged union and an association. I'll take an association any day.

3. JimG

JimG Rookie

Jan 2, 2018

This is very informative and answers my concerns to a tee. Thank you.

futuremathsprof and bella84 like this.
  4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2018

The public retirement system in CA, if it doesn't collapse on itself, is ridiculous generous - far more so than SS every will be. It seems odd to brag about getting SS when I'll be collecting 90% of my highest paycheck for the rest of my life.

That said, I fully expect it to collapse before I collect a dime.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2018

If you look at the benefits being cut and jobs being automated in low-wage industries thanks to mandated minimum wage increases then yes, having the Right to Work is a good thing. I should be able to work without being forced to join an association with which I disagree - that's all Right to Work means. Unions are still free to exist.

bella84 likes this.
  6. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 6, 2018

This I worry about too as I have another 35 years before I can retire. What happens to all the money we put in?

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Jan 6, 2018

It goes to tax breaks for the millionaires and billionaires. I'm worried about it in my state too.

8. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jan 6, 2018

This is why I pulled all of my money out of the retirement systems in IL (and one other) and rolled them over into a roth IRA. I wasn't vested in them, and I was no longer actively paying into them anymore. So, it seemed that the best solution would be to take my money out before the government decided to take it away from me. As I noted in a post above, I'm grateful to now be in a state where an unfunded pension system is not one of my concerns.

9. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 6, 2018

I too have money in my IL account that I need to do something with. My whole family is from there so I am not eliminating the possibility of ever coming back, so I’m hesitant to take out all the money and lose my tier.

10. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jan 6, 2018

I was hesitant about losing my tier, too, and that's why I waited so long to do it. I finally decided that, with the IL's finances being how they are, it was worth the risk for me. That said, I made a careful bet that I probably will never work in IL as a teacher again. If something happens where I end up going back and teaching in IL, then I guess I'll just deal. However, it seemed to be an unlikely scenario for me, personally.

jadorelafrance likes this.
  11. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jan 6, 2018

Because child labor isn't so bad, after all. And your daughters should count themselves lucky enough to be chained inside a warehouse.

https://firstindustrialrevolution.weebly.com/working-and-living-conditions.html
    http://www.sbctc.org/doc.asp?id=4463

Yeah, like the right to not have insurance and die in the streets.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    TrademarkTer likes this.
  12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Cohort

Jan 6, 2018

What is your highest paycheck? Many teachers top out in the 50k-60k range or less, so 90% of that is poo-poo.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2018

Quite frankly, this comment is gross. As you've made abundantly clear, money matters a lot to you. Great. Fantastic. Your comments like this are insulting to all the people who don't have the same kind of access to salaries like yours. "I mean, I have a house with 5 bedrooms. I have therefore decreed your two-bedroom apartment to be crap."

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2018

So many of your blanket statements about public schools are just really off-base. I work in a public school, and I don't have money taken out of my check for retirement. In fact, the district makes a contribution on my behalf over and above what they pay me as part of my total compensation package. They also match what I contribute to a certain percentage.

It's great that you love your private school so much, but please don't get things twisted. There are probably things you don't love about your school as well, things you've posted about here. Many teachers probably wish they made salaries like you do, but they also probably have other benefits that you couldn't even dream of. Every job in every school offers benefits and requires concessions. Teachers who love their jobs usually have found jobs and schools that offer a good and reasonable balance of these benefits and concessions. It doesn't have to be this battle between private and public like you always want to make it. Maybe consider letting it be a thing where you enjoy your job because of reasons A, B, and C, and someone else can enjoy their job because of reasons X, Y, and Z. Not everything has to be mutually exclusive or conflicting or any of that.

15. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 7, 2018

I think we’re from the same state lol. NJ?

16. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Jan 7, 2018

That's the one

17. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jan 7, 2018

It is telling that these insults are allowed here.

18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Cohort

Jan 7, 2018

Good points. However, I’ve noticed that most public school teachers have a set amount taken out of each check for their retirement (usually above 10%). That seems awfully high to me, especially since most private pensions take out much less and pay out comparable amounts. For example, I have a friend who works as a computer programmer in NYC and makes $150k/year. She only contributes 5% per paycheck and her pension is such that they average the highest five years worked after 20 years, I believe.

19. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2018

No it doesn't. It is protected money, not general tax fund money. it goes to pay the retirements of current retirees. It's the same pyramid scheme as Social Security.

However, since what we pay in doesn't cover what we pay out, thankfully those millionaires and billionaires you seem to loathe are kind enough to pay the difference.

20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Cohort

Jan 7, 2018

That’s not even remotely an insult. Are you joking me?