Milk Crate Seats

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teaching Grace, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2009

I found the cutest idea for turning milk crates or file crates into seats!! You take a board and cut it (or have your wonderful husband cut it) so that it fits the top with just a little extra around the edges. Then drill two holes on whichever side you want to be the hinged side. Then take two of the heavy duty zip ties and thread one through each of the holes in the board and attach it around the holes in the crate. I am so excited about this!! I'm planning on having them around my meeting area. I am going to have rotating reading seats. I'm planning on using these as part of the rotation. Super excited expecially since I just found the crates for 2.99 each at Target!!!

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 18, 2009

Sounds like a great idea. You could probably use a chair cushion (the ones with the ties) to put on top to make the seat more comfortable. You could put the ties through the drilled holes to make sure that they stay attached (the 2 ends that are not on the end with the holes could be cut off or tied into bows.

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 18, 2009

cute idea!

5. Teaching Grace

Jul 18, 2009

Thanks Proud! I had actually been trying to figure out how I would attach with the ties if I covered and stapled with fabric and a cushion... That's a much better idea though :)

6. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

They have really nice crates at Walmart for 2.50.

7. Teaching Grace

Jul 18, 2009

My walmart had them last week for 5.00, I went today specifically for them and they didn't have any anywhere (even asking 3 different people where they were) then I went to Target and found them for 2.99.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 18, 2009

I have those bright colored walmart crates and I love them. I will get more this year.

9. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 18, 2009

cute cute cute idea! Then of course, could be converted into storage as needed!

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2009

I've kind of done this before! This is a great idea! I actually had my students sit on my storage this past year- it was really sturdy. I had one of those under-the-bed plastic storage crates and covered it with a little striped throw and two pillows to make a comfortable reading spot (while storing some items in it at the same time). :)

11. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

Will you take a picture when you make it so I can better visualize it? =) Sounds cool!

12. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 18, 2009

Talk to your custodians about getting the containers wax comes in (usually 5 gal.). A thin sheet of plywood and some contact paper covered foam makes a sit-upon. Perfect for holding supplies and extra seating.

13. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 18, 2009

I have made these just using the crate and the chair cushion tied to the top. It works great that way and is very easy and totally easy to switch back to a plain old crate.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

aren't those the cutest, czacza?!

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

I'd love to see a picture too!

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2009

So clever, right? Just make sure you buy your milk crates, y'all!! You can be prosecuted for 'taking' mild crates from behind stores.

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

The ones at walmart and such are not as sturdy... I had someone give me 6 from Craigslist last summer that are from some out of state dairy- planning on spray painting them and getting a board for them from Lowes tomorrow (better late than never I figure). Going to buy a lounge seat cushion for th etop.

19. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 18, 2009

We gather in front on crates. It works really well since each child has their own space. Some kids struggle with keeping still while sitting on the carpet and this helps with that a lot.

I 'stole' this idea from a teacher I worked with a few years ago. Here is a picture from her room:
    [​IMG]

I have my students store their white boards and markers in their crates.
    [​IMG]

I got the crates from WalMart a few years ago- they have a 'lip' all around the outside. My father-in-law cut wood to fit (mine have one large hole in the middle).
    [​IMG]

20. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

I love those pictures!!

21. Teaching Grace

Jul 18, 2009

I used to have some regular milk crates too from an old country store my parents owned. I figure that these I have now will probably be okay for my little 8 year olds. I will definitely post a picture when I get them made and into my room. My husband
    (the board cutter) is disappointed that I don't want to make it challenging for him. I told him all I wanted was a cut board with drilled holes (actually 4 of them) and then I was going to paint them. I think he wants to stain them and edge them and all sorts of stuff like that.