Middle School Social Studies and High School Social Studies Praxis 5089 5036

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by lokin, Jul 1, 2018.

1. lokin

lokin Rookie

Jul 1, 2018

Howdy! I'm taking the MS Social Studies and High School Social Studies Praxis exams Jul 5 and Jul 6 respectively and while I have been studying and I like to think studying is a talent of mine I am struggling with this exam. Mostly the overwhelming scope of it. When I come online and check out posts with the label of Social Studies or the Praxis codes related to them I am seeing nothing about actual studying and mostly people saying they simply watched crash course and it's easy so don't worry about it. I would like to say I love worrying about things and the thought of just going in blind is incredibly unappealing to me. I'm hoping to find advice from other individuals who actually studied beyond just watching crash course. I've done quite a bit of crash course but it's honestly a lot of opinion and such and silly jokes and I appreciate it but not when I'm trying to really retain history. I would love some information on whether questions are detail oriented or more over over arcing concepts of eras / dynasties, etc. Or if your test focused more on politics than wars or vice versa. I'm really just feeling like a duck of water going into this test and while most people say don't worry about it. I'd love to hear from anyone who's taken it within the last year or two. The score I need is only 153 I believe and surely I can pull that but I'm nervous. Okay thanks!
    ps. To be clear I'm not worried about test taking or anxiety or anything. Just that there's no real advice online about these tests and I hate that I could be studying the wrong things because the ETS PDF feels like it just says, hey just study everything. I have a History degree but it's been 5 years since I graduated with it and I was mostly taking US civil war classes.

3. JaneK

JaneK Rookie

Jul 1, 2018

I haven't tested yet, but I've been watching this:

4. lokin

lokin Rookie

Jul 1, 2018

Thank you! I had seen them around but I will definitely give this a watch. Anything helps :)

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2018

Question-why are you taking both of them? At least in NJ, if you pass the HS exam, you are qualified to teach the subject from K to 12. Here, if you have the 30 credits in the subject that makes it a major, you don't need to take a lesser exam to teach it at a lower level. Just curious.

6. lokin

lokin Rookie

Jul 1, 2018

It's a weird situation and you may be right but I haven't gotten any clarification from higher ups (i'm in arkansas). I am working towards a MAT Middle School and I was told in order to teach I would have to pass two MS praxis, mine subjects were English and History that I selected. I don't know for sure but I think I have to pass MS Social Studies to get my certification / licensure. But I'm new to this and have no idea. I want to teach HS though so I figure in order to get my license I have to take both. It would be nice if I happen to pass HS and not MS if the HS would count for my MS requirement since it is a higher praxis.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2018

I would be inclined to double check with your DOE. It truly doesn't make sense to take 2 SS Praxis exams in the same subject. To increase chances of employment, you may want to switch the SS MS Praxis for math or science, since the number of applicants for SS is always excessive, at least around here. Just a thought.

8. lokin

lokin Rookie

Jul 2, 2018

I'm curious if when I take this test if I will get a final raw score and if the essay will bring that down or only add to it? I would love to know if I could do very well on the multiple choice and come out on top or vice versa. Anyone know about how that works?

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2018

No raw score when essays are involved, in my experience. Admittedly, I've not taken that many with essays, although the MS SS Praxis was one of them.

futuremathsprof and lokin like this.
  10. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Jul 2, 2018

I took it about 9 months ago and passed with flying colors. I am not a history major, or even a minor. I looked at one Praxis book and took 2 practice tests. It was not a difficult test. A lot of it is general knowledge--the worst of it for me was economics--I just didn't remember it very well.

11. lokin

lokin Rookie

Jul 4, 2018

I'm feeling much better today! I found a Praxis II Official 5086 Study Guide online and I did everything it listed and now I feel like I have a large base of information to pull from. I'm still worried about the Essay because it's like ? It could be anything but I'm feeling more positive. And thank you for giving me some hope :) !!
    For anyone reading this later on, I'll definitely post my study guide I've made for myself. It's about 15 pages but I think I'm gonna pass pretty well *fingers crossed*

12. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jul 5, 2018

You probably already have all of the resources you need, but I'll throw this out there. Ohio's licensure test for MS social studies when I took it had a 20% pass rate, because the topics cover such a broad spectrum. I read What your 5th Grader Needs to Know because it briefly covers everything that you will need for the test.

13. lokin

lokin Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

I did miss your message but hopefully it will help someone else! I actually used the praxis study guide the official one and it was really great but I only studied for Hs SS via the official guide because I figured it’s cover roughly the same things but I will definitely say I should have studied a bit more American stuff in terms of pre revolution things happening in America but all in all I think I passed with flying colors! I’ll post my resources this week when I get time. Hopefully someone can use them as well.

14. lokin

lokin Rookie

Aug 5, 2018

I got 162 on both. Easy peasy. Only complaint was 5086 was nothing like the official study guide imo.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 5, 2018

Congratulations, lokin!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2018

Congratulations! :celebrate:

17. JaneK

JaneK Rookie

Aug 7, 2018