Mid-year options

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jax123, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Jax123

Jax123 Rookie

Jan 1, 2018

Well, in my previous post I talked about how unhappy I am with my new teaching job. Since it's been Christmas break, I am dragging more and more about going back to work on Wednesday. I've done a lot of reflecting these past days and I started to make an online application to a district (huge district---with well do do schools and high-needs school). Looking back at my previous two jobs, the students I had were more challenging. When I took this new job, I thought that the grass is greener and the students would be a piece of cake. The students are a piece of cake but the other teachers are just mean. It's bad environment for me to be in (I am generally very sweet and people like me) but at this job, I feel like I am in middle school. I think I miss the students that were more challenging....usually people that work in those environments work better as a team because the needs are so great.
    What are your opinions on applying to jobs and possible job interviews mid-year? There are vacancies in this district I mentioned before. Will it look bad I am applying mid year during a new job? What would I say if they ask me why I want to leave my current job? I have a great resume and experiences (teaching and non-teaching). I know two people who work there and they love if despite it being more challenging.

3. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Jan 1, 2018

I think the biggest issue with applying for mid-year positions would be any issues with you leaving your current job mid-year.
    As far as reasons for leaving, it's easy enough to say that a school isn't a good fit, since that can mean lots of things without gossiping or bad-mouthing your current job, and that you're looking for an environment where the staff is more team-oriented and focused on teaching cooperatively (I'm having trouble thinking of words for what I'm trying to say, but hopefully you get the gist). I don't blame you for wanting to change schools though - I think teachers make a school more than the students do. If the teachers are good and work together well, it makes even the craziest behaviors a lot more manageable. Not that easy kids aren't a bonus, but great kids and mean teachers I think would make the job very lonely.

Ideally though you could apply for jobs throughout the semester and finish out the year before changing jobs next year. That way you don't burn any bridges or risk your license by leaving mid-year and potentially breaking your contract.
    If you have a good enough relationship with admin, it might also be helpful to let them know that you're applying for jobs for next year in case someone calls for a reference. Having admin in the loop instead of surprising them with reference calls will go a long way.

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 1, 2018

Don't!

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2018

There's no good way to explain leaving the new job mid year. Unless you are in a charter school where you are an "at will employee", the contract is designed to penalize you heavily for bolting at this time. Tough it out, learn from your mistaken fantasy, and make a wiser choice next time. Just my opinion, of course, but if you have a traditional public school contract, one that is important in your situation.