Mentor teacher absent tomorrow....scared as ever

Discussion in 'General Education' started by zmp2018, Sep 11, 2018.

1. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Sep 11, 2018

This is my third week of student teaching. I’ve been doing mini-lessons up until this point, and my mentor will be absent tomorrow, so I’m in charge for our 80-minute classes. I know what we’re doing and am confident I can teach the lesson (really only twenty minutes of direct instruction and then activities for the rest).

I’m just really nervous to be in charge for those classes. The kids seem to respect me and all, but I’m just nervous and am worried I’ll end up having too much time on my hands (even though I did overplan some).

Also, there will be a substitute in the room, and it will most likely be other teachers in the building. I’m nervous they’re just going to think I look like an idiot and then tell my teacher that I failed. Ugh.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2018

Chances are very good that you're overthinking this.

What counsel would you give to someone you care about who's in this situation?

creativemonster likes this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 11, 2018

I was very nervous subbing for my mentor and it wasn't too bad. :) It is actually a good experience to try to figure out classroom management without your mentor! I would make sure you have everything planned but treat the day normally. Also look into policies like attendance, etc. The substitute might do this for you! Good luck! The day will go by quick.

5. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 11, 2018

This is exciting! Please let us know how it goes! I love TeacherGroupie's question - what advice would you give someone in your situation? Listen to your own advice and practice being kind to yourself. Take notes at end of day about what worked, and what you might change. Just like our students - we learn during our reflection time. Have fun! Don't be scared to be yourself!

6. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 11, 2018

You are going to be great. They don't know that you are nervous or unsure unless you tell them. :) So, don't tell them. :) Just act normally as though your mentor teacher is in the room and you'll be fine.

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Sep 11, 2018

I think you’ll be fine..... I remember student teaching and my mentor teacher called out a few times. I had my lessons planned and carried through. During those days, all I thought about was the irony that the sub got paid and I didn’t. ;)

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 12, 2018

Looking forward to hearing all about your day! When I student taught, my cooperating teacher wound up with the flu in my second week. I had substitutes monitoring me for those days, but some were... less helpful than others. Hoping everything goes smoothly.

9. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Sep 12, 2018

It was a good day! My mentor actually didn’t leave until later in the day, so I only had one block to myself. It was planned perfectly. I actually think having a class to myself boosted my self-esteem. Being in front of the classroom doesn’t seem as scary.

10. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Sep 12, 2018

I am in the same boat you are except for I am only doing a half day. My kids are horrible when the teacher leaves the room because my co-teacher said I am just a college student to the students. So by that statement alone the respect level went down. It is terrifying I am used to being in classes subbing but this class is a different story.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 17, 2018

Being nervous is normal. You know the routines as you've been in that room all year. I bet you'll do fine. Overplanning sounds great! Keep it simple and really enforce the routines and rules. I think you'll do great.

Okay I now see in your post it did go well. Congratulations to you!