Mental Health Days

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, May 26, 2016.

1. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 27, 2016

Obviously, my job as a sub is to make sure these days go smoothly for you. As much as I hate doing it, I try to make sure the kids are taken care of any way I can. It is not their fault (or yours as a real teacher) that I am not one yet.

Good luck to all y'all.

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 27, 2016

I havent been out sick for any reason for at least the past 3 years.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 28, 2016

Our contract stipulates what personal days can be used for. Misuse of sick leave is a fireable offense. Exhaustion can be sickness, but I agree with a previous poster that sub plans make it difficult, but not every position in education requires sub plans.
    I used one personal day this year to go see my daughter be admitted to the the state bar, and no sick days. First time in many years I didn't get strep throat!

4. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Aug 26, 2018

I strategically plan out my mental health days. I try to work them in with scheduled school breaks. I have 4 1/2 days already planned.

5. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 26, 2018

I strategically take the Friday and possibly Thursday before a break... We can only use sick time for being sick, but personal days can be used for anything as long as you provide advanced warning and have a sub plan ready. And realistically if I take every Thursday and Friday off before breaks I still have plenty of personal days left over for the odd doctors appointment or whatever. And then I plan those for either a Monday or a Friday...

whizkid likes this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 26, 2018

I haven’t taken any. The closest I’ve gotten was taking a personal day during my DH’s spring break once and taking a personal day to Christmas shopping with my BFF once.

I’m on district petit jury this year, so I am out one day a month for that.

I find making sub plans a PITA. I’d rather go to work.

Usually I only miss for serious illness. That’s not even that common. Last year I missed a week when my mom had cancer surgery, and I was out once with her for chemo.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 26, 2018

I don’t take any personal (mental health) days ever, nor do I take any sick days off. I always gift mine to my colleagues — who actually use them — as you can’t cash them out at my private school. You can save them up, but there is no point for me to collect them since I never plan or want to use any of them.

To me, my numerous vacations are my personal days and they’re good enough (I get like 3 months in total).

Each year, we are given two personal days and six sick days. If I got zero for each, it wouldn’t bother me any.

8. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Aug 26, 2018

Great strategy!
    [​IMG]

Backroads and Aces like this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 26, 2018

Technically, couldn’t you use one of your sick days for a doctor’s appointment? All you would have to say is that you were not feeling well and show your admin your doctor’s note upon your return.

10. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 26, 2018

It works out nicely to have three day weekends. And I usually wait until further in the school year ago that my students are trained. They know that even if I'm out on a Monday, their homework and quiz from last week are still due on Monday.

11. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 26, 2018

Meh I could but most of my doctors appointments are related to my leg and I honestly don't usually feel like jumping through the hoops xD

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 26, 2018

I thought you were better than that with your money ;) If you can get paid the same amount of money to work for 178 days as you can to work for 180 days, why wouldn't you take those personal days you are entitled to? I was more cautious about using them as a non-tenured teacher, but after getting tenured, I'm use the days I am entitled to. I always plan to take them on days when there is not much going on (i.e. a quiz day or day where a lot of my students will be out on a trip or something) so as not to have to leave behind busy work.

We aren't allowed to take personal days the Friday before or Monday after winter or spring break. (And possibly Thanksgiving, not sure?) The district fears too many people would take advantage of that, and there'd be too many teachers out.

13. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 26, 2018

Mine does limit the amount that can do it... Good news is I've already got mine in ;). They'll only let a handful of people do it, heh.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 26, 2018

How exactly do you know you will never use any sick days? For many years I never used any sick days. Then I had serious complications from gall bladder surgery followed by an allergic reaction that shut down my kidneys. I missed over 40 days that year. I was not expecting to be hospitalized four times in a semester. I save sick days because (a) I do get paid for them when I retire and (b) I might need them one day.

15. RaiderFan87

RaiderFan87 Rookie

Aug 26, 2018

My 3 personal days don't roll over from year-to-year. I use 'em because I've earned 'em.

You're definitely an anomaly as far as never getting sick. Consider yourself lucky, though, as many (most?) of us have gone through unexpected health events. Chances are that you, too, will one day use one or several days worth of sick time.