Mental Health Days

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, May 26, 2016.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 26, 2016

Just curious: how many mental health days (if any) do you take per year?

We have had evening events every day this week (I've been working from 7am-7pm). I woke up this morning and decided to use a sick day. It has been nice to relax and not do anything at all. My body was telling me that I was on overload!

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

May 26, 2016

I haven't taken a "mental health day" yet, since I personally find writing sub plans/having a sub more overwhelming than it's worth. I also have just one day left with each of my classes before finals so I want to be here. I was on campus until 6pm Tuesday, 9pm last night, and will be here until at least 8:30 tonight due to senior project presentations and awards -- I am going to collapse this weekend!

mathmagic likes this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 26, 2016

I haven't taken any personal or sick days so far in my two years (plus maternity leave, where I didn't technically get anything). If I did, I'd use the personal days for mental health days, as there are plenty of vacation times and we're given the three personal days a year. For me, personally, it would simply not be worth the time I would spend writing sub plans, then regrouping on the day after the sub. Again, this is all about me personally, and I'm sure in the next couple years, I'll be more comfortable taking days away. Plus, I'm sure my wife and I will eventually have a kid, which will naturally necessitate taking some more days away ;)

5. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

May 26, 2016

I've done generally 2-3 a year.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

May 26, 2016

I need them here and there but maybe 1-2 a year. If I need to make a Dr. appt. I try to make it early in the morning so I have the rest of the day to myself and relax. My school is year round so it's important that I don't feel like I'm getting burnt out.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 26, 2016

I took my first mental health day ever a week ago. I always felt too guilty to take an absence when I didn't have a real illness. But I am so glad I did. I was freaking out because of my National Board submission, so I needed a day to de-frazzle a bit from lack of sleep and also an extra day to work on it.

I also never take days off for vacations, but I'm going to be changing that next year as well. (We're going to Oktoberfest in Munich).

Out of my four years of teaching, I now have over a month of accumulated sick days, so I would be technically within my rights to take an entire month off. LOL. I probably won't do that though, even though I don't get reimbursed for them if I leave the district.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 26, 2016

I usually take 2 or 3.

9. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

May 26, 2016

Whether I was a Teacher, Director or (now) a Para, I take the personal days that are given to me each year as my ''mental'' health days....my ME days:D

If we don't use them, we lose them in my district, so I use them when I think I need a day off. I have been here for 3 years and have over a month worth of sick time accumulated, I have to be REALLLLLY sick to take a sick day, but personal time, yesss I have always used them!

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

May 26, 2016

Maybe I will make this a goal for myself for next year! I was just looking at the calendar and there is a LONG stretch of calendar between President's Day and Memorial Day...could be a good time to plan for. If I start planning now, I should be OK ;)

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 26, 2016

I usually take 2-3 days per year. I never really get sick (knock on wood) but have to be out several times a year for meetings or PD. Once I've written my basic sub plans, I find them fairly easy to update for a different day and it doesn't really take me all that long to prepare fore a sub.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 26, 2016

I usually end up taking 1 per year. My principal has always said that sick days are for when we are not well enough to teach. If I am burning out, I am not well enough to teach.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

May 27, 2016

Our personal days do not roll over either so it's use it or lose it. Why would anyone feel guilty about using them?

whizkid likes this.
  14. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

May 27, 2016

I don't feel guilty, just too overwhelmed. I used to work at an impoverished private school where we were told there was no money for subs. If I called out, everyone else had to pitch in to cover my classes. I only ever called out in the direst of emergencies at that school.

In my current school, I would take more mental health days if I just didn't stress over sub plans so much! My content area (world language) is especially hard to write good sub plans for.

15. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

May 27, 2016

I've taken 2 days this year that were just for me to relax and regroup. My grade level administrator is pretty supportive of us doing this occasionally as long we leave good, thorough plans and are in contact with our teammates both of which I would do anyway. I definitely don't abuse the privilege but everyone once in a while it's much needed.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 27, 2016

It's rare for me. That being said, I have the ability to take my lunch break in my bathtub, so I can sneak in mental health minutes.

17. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 27, 2016

Obviously, my job as a sub is to make sure these days go smoothly for you. As much as I hate doing it, I try to make sure the kids are taken care of any way I can. It is not their fault (or yours as a real teacher) that I am not one yet.

Good luck to all y'all.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 27, 2016

I havent been out sick for any reason for at least the past 3 years.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  19. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 28, 2016

Our contract stipulates what personal days can be used for. Misuse of sick leave is a fireable offense. Exhaustion can be sickness, but I agree with a previous poster that sub plans make it difficult, but not every position in education requires sub plans.
    I used one personal day this year to go see my daughter be admitted to the the state bar, and no sick days. First time in many years I didn't get strep throat!

20. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Aug 26, 2018

I strategically plan out my mental health days. I try to work them in with scheduled school breaks. I have 4 1/2 days already planned.

21. Aces

Aces Comrade

Aug 26, 2018

I strategically take the Friday and possibly Thursday before a break... We can only use sick time for being sick, but personal days can be used for anything as long as you provide advanced warning and have a sub plan ready. And realistically if I take every Thursday and Friday off before breaks I still have plenty of personal days left over for the odd doctors appointment or whatever. And then I plan those for either a Monday or a Friday...

whizkid likes this.