Men in the Kitchen

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Dec 31, 2010.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

My dad was a great cook and my uncle loves cooking as well.

My husband is in the kitchen making cheese fondue for us....smells very good;)

My husband, aunt, uncle and I are taking a cooking class together at the end of January, should be a lot of fun

2. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

My husband cooks frozen pizza or Kraft dinner for Lauren maybe twice a year. That's it.

A couple of months ago I sat and watched him rattle around in the kitchen drawers for over 5 minutes. When I asked him what he was looking for, he replied, "the silver can-opener". I told him that it was in the back of the top drawer--exactly where it's been for the past 18 years.

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Dec 31, 2010

DH does great with big meals: turkey, feast of the seven fishes, etc.

He cooks pasta on Sunday afternoons using his grandma's sauce recipe, and cooks chili when I leave him the recipe. He's actually a great cook. We agreed though, I'm better at the day to day stuff, and he's better at the bigger meals for special occasions.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

My hubby is a good cook! He just doesn't do it that often. He's great on the grill as well. Like other husbands, he seems to use everything we have in the kitchen and leaves the cleaning for me.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

My husband is becoming a great cook---the fire station is really training him well. He learns so much from the guys on shift it is amazing.

6. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Dec 31, 2010

That's funny, Mopar. My hubby is a FF too and, yes, that is a perk to the job....being a great cook!!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

Tiffany, is your husband working tonight?

8. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Dec 31, 2010

No, he is home tonight. But, boy, that's rare....seems like many holidays are spent waiting on him...or alone!! Definitely not one of the perks. I noticed on the "after party" thread that yours is at the station.

Enjoy your quiet evening, Mopar! If you get lonely, we can all keep chatting until late in the night!!

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

That's my hopes. He's supposed to call soon. But otherwise, it's just me tonight. I'm glad that you get to ring in with the hubby!

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 31, 2010

Mine does the dishes. Well he did. He's been laid up with foot issues. When he starts griping about doing the dishes (or what I cook) then I tell him he can cook and I'll do the dishes for a while.

11. HMM

HMM Cohort

Dec 31, 2010

I am the cook in the family. If I left it up to my wife we would starve to death. I also do most of the cleaning in the kitchen.

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

My husband is an excellent cook. I really don't crave going out for Chinese food any longer, because he cooks it better and fresher than anyplace. He loves cooking and takes pride in the quality and presentation. I, on the other hand, can hold my own but don't put in the extra attention to presentation.

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2011

I cook anything as long as it is steak or some kind of meat on the grill.
    I used my "kitchen sink" marinade (I put "everything" in it)
    Especially shish kabob everything that goes on the skewers goes in the blender
    [​IMG]
    Secret ingredient cinnamon

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 1, 2011

What goes in the blender?

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2011

For what it's worth, 12 year old Brian can hold his own in the kitchen.

He loves making eggs. This morning he made a pound of bacon. He's made crepes and a few other things in the past. He makes a wicked Chocolate Trifle.

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2011

When I make the marinade I add whatever is on the skewers to the marinade (not the meat) onions, garlic, green pepper, tomatoes and Potato. I use the blender to liquify so I can add them to the marinade.
    I marinade over night

17. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jan 1, 2011

My wonderful husband who can fix everything, who cleans everything and helps in every way you can imagine CAN NEVER COOK and SHOULD NEVER COOK!!!:D

Each time he makes an effort, it costs us a fortune in new pots for me:cool::cool: so we have decided that I shall remain the chief and only cook.

18. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 1, 2011

Oh, interesting! Do you then put the marinade just on the meat, or do you put some of the ingredients in the blended marinade and some on the skewers? Curious minds :cool:

My hubby is at the store for celery and chow fun noodles. Yippee, Chinese food tonight :)

19. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2011

Wow! My husband is a firefighter and is an awesome cook! He does 99% of the cooking at home since he's home more than I am.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2011

Okay, I'm happy for everyone who has an amazing, skilled husband...but I was hoping for a few more questionable man-in-the-kitchen moments! Now I'm just feeling like the ol' husband is terribly inadequate! :haha: