Meeting with Education Department Chair

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by SF_Giants66, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2014

But it's ok if they go along with yours?

2. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 18, 2014

I have come to the conclusion that you aren't real, this is a game to you, (hopefully) you will never be a teacher, and who knows about being a parent. You can do lots of things, but pretending to want help when you are simply baiting and then twisting every single thing said, well, I know when I've been had. Please do us the favor of staying closed the next time the thread is shut down. Of course, that is just my personal opinion, which I am certain you would agree that I am entitled to.

3. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Sep 18, 2014

Be careful where you use that term. I don't find concerned parents to be a joke. I take concerned parents very seriously. As a parent I would be less than thrilled to find out you were referring to me in a joking manner especially if it relates to me being a concerned parent.

Until you have walked in the shoes of a concerned parent you will have no idea as to how hurtful that term is to all parents.

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2014

OP, if you think, as a new teacher, that telling students they have the right right not to say the Pledge is a good idea; well, that lets me know that I don't want to hear anymore of your ideas. Your judgment is not the best.

I think you're lost in the sauce ... or just sauced.

5. Sugar

Sugar Rookie

Sep 18, 2014

I don't know why I get concerned over the idea of you teaching. I find that happening to be extremely unlikely.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 18, 2014

I would bet that most secondary students are aware that saying it is optional.

If this is a hill you're willing to die on, go for it. you speak in a lot of "shoulda-s." Life just doesn't work that way. Stand up for every single belief you hold, if you choose. But remember, very few martyrs hold steady jobs.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2014

SF_Giants66, here's the reality--whether you choose to believe or accept it or not. Teaching is all about communication and relationships--with students, colleagues, parents, administrators and the public. There isn't a minute of my day at work when I don't need to be aware of how I am presenting myself. My students are in grades 7 and 8. I teach them several subjects, including Math, English, Health and the Arts. The most important thing that I try to teach them, though, is how to be a responsible, respectful person. They learn that they can think whatever they want to, but it isn't always appropriate to share their opinions publicly. They learn about how to show respect for the opinions and beliefs of others. They learn tolerance and acceptance. They learn these things because I model them every.single.minute. I live it, as do my colleagues.

Last night, we had Meet the Teacher night. I spoke to well over 60 parents, individually, over the course of a couple of hours. All went smoothly, but I do have a couple of parents who can be challenging. Even if they had decided to be less than pleasant last evening, I would have been respectful and polite. I would not have demanded that they, "get the f***" out of my room. Professionals, particularly those charged with educating children, don't do that.

If you do get through your program and do manage to secure a teaching position, if you are as confrontational and narrowly focused as you show here, it will be a very, very short period of time before the administration, and higher up, will be inundated with concerns/complaints from parents and colleagues.

You need to remember what someone said earlier, either in this thread or your previous one, as a teacher, you do not teach a subject, you are teaching children.

8. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Sep 18, 2014

[​IMG]

OP, suck it up, humor all the plebes :)rolleyes:) in your placement by teaching what they tell you and saying the pledge. Graduate. Then once you get a teaching position and have your own classroom you can do whatever the hell you want (until they fire you, which... they might because you continue to push your opinions)

It really is THAT simple. Under momma and daddy's roof (aka student teaching) you do what they say. Get your own place (teaching position w/ classroom) and do what you want.

But this isn't about the pledge and you know that. Teachers here, who know what they are talking about, are TRYING to get through to you. PLEASE listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.