Meeting From H...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by callmebob, Aug 15, 2012.

1. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

Gotta love a meeting/P.D. early on in the school year that is absolutely awful. It was an absolute joke. Halfway through most of the teachers were lost/confused/annoyed and trying to figure out how it could possibly help us actually do our jobs well. It was just sad. But our table, as well as some others found a way to joke around and try and have a decent time. Just, ugggghhhh

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

Was your table 'joking around' while the presentation was ongoing?

4. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 15, 2012

Would you be okay if your students found something more entertaining to do than participate in your class?

6. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

I've long said that teachers can make the worst students. Having to set the example all day long for our students and then be expected to all sit and learn in a prim and proper fashion later in the day; good luck. As adults we are also responsible for our own learning of the topic, if we do so while talking, then more power to us, if we don't, we have to deal with it.
    Again, this was a situation where conversation amongst each other was expected. It's just that our conversation was not always on topic. The info. was not good or well presented. It happens.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

Our admin pays close attention during meetings to find out who is on task and who isn't. They always look for off-topic talking and cell phones. Teachers who are rude or unprofessional during meetings usually end up with a talking to. Some of our administrators have long memories....

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

:yeahthat:

9. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

I understand that when it is a school staff meeting of some kind. When multiple schools are involved and it is significantly larger, its a little different.
    And it's like you guys act like you have never been to a bad P.D.
    And I don't know of anything that was unprofessional other than many of the jokes that were being shared, but they were quite funny. And I think its important for teachers to keep their sense of humor during hard times.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

Presenters deserve to be treated professionally....you can offer your feedback about how valuable that workshop was or was not to your PD committee afterwards. A few hours of 'bad' PD hardly fits my definition of 'hard times', but good for you if that's as 'hard' as it gets.

When multiple schools are involved don't you think it might be all that more important to present a good professional image of your school by acting appropriately?

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 15, 2012

This is exactly why I was always irritated when I paid to attend professional development for myself. It was insulting to the presenter and to me whenever others in the room would be messing around, sleeping, texting, etc.

12. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

By hard times, I meant all of the crap we have to deal with as teachers overall right now. (not that meeting)

We talked at our table, from a distance that is all anyone would have been able to infer. We could very well have been discussing the topic. There were so many people there, there was no way to really know. To me, the waste of time that could have been utilized much better is more of a big deal than talking.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 15, 2012

I was quite annoyed today when I attended a PD session and a school principal was texting throughout the entire session.

Yes--the presenter wasn't really keeping us engaged, but it was really upsetting to see one of our leaders sitting there texting (I even saw him on Facebook for a bit). Set a bad example for those of us who he's supposed to be leading on a daily basis!

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

If I saw that I would just laugh. Not everything needs to be taken so seriously.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

I would argue that when it comes to your career, certain things need to be taken seriously.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 15, 2012

I believe in leading by example, Bob!

17. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

Yes, certain things do. My point is not everything. I also am the type who may joke around quite a bit and make light of certain topics and situations on the job while with other teachers, but my actual actions with students are different. To me that is part of the coping mechanism for dealing with things I don't always agree with. Doesn't mean the actual application is bad, just the discussion in regards to it.

18. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

I understand that and there are definetly times when I/We look at our Principals to set examples. I just don't think they need to be by the book all of the time. Sometimes they need to be seen as human on the job and relax a little.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2012

I've gone to my fair share of pretty bad meetings/workshops/conferences. However, I've always treated the presenter with respect by at least listening and following along.

20. Federal Funding

Federal Funding Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

I have been to some really excellent meetings - presenters were way up there.
    Most meetings pale in comparison. I really think schools would be better off avoiding mandatory attendance at such professional development, not referring to their own little ideas as best practices, etc. I think most teachers know their subject matter and usually have developed their own methods that work best for them. I think some administrators have very little respect and understanding of human behavior.
    Finally I know of some administrators involved in the practice of nepotism. I am quite certain that some p.d. presenters were friends of the administration.

21. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

Geez Louise, cut this guy a break! Maybe you haven't had horrible, pointless PD that is not in the least bit applicable to you. It's very hard to sit and engage when you are thinking of a million different ways you could spend your time that would be more beneficial for your kids and classroom.

It may not be the presenters fault, true, but they tend to be district mandated. My favorite PDs are the ones with 2 speakers who are completely contradictory of each other. And then the district wonders why everyone isn't on the same page...

And I teach in a great district with great PD opportunities, so even great districts sometimes sink the boats.

22. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

I actually have reached the point where I think some principals don't want to have meetings, but are required to. Actually, I really don't know and I wonder why I never thought to ask. I say this because often times I actually felt like the administrator didn't want us to really pay attention, allowed talking and just wanted to get through the meeting without any problems from teachers.
    I guess I'll ask now. Are principals required to have a certain number of meetings? What if there is really no need for a meeting?

23. msufan

msufan Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

In my district, yes. A weekly staff mtg is required and the hours are tracked by the state to meet our PD quota that must be attained annually.

24. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

Back again, I have been thinking about this some more. I used to be at a school where teachers were teaching best they could, were generally happy, everything seemed ok except the school did not make AYP. Then they got a new principal that kept having meetings for everything. This guy even suggested that teachers should be happy to come in on Saturdays for meetings or workshops. Everyone seemed so intimidated. No one fooled around in the meetings. But after at least three years of this student's test scores still did not go up. I understand the principal probably thought meetings or workshops were the way to get test scores up. As far as that goes, I think what really is needed there as well as in general is to motivate students to want to work hard at school. Also, probably more parent involvement is needed. I don't think it's the teachers that much. Yes, experienced teachers know their stuff and want to teach. It seems like principals probably want to enable students for various reasons as if it is all about making school fun.
    One final thing I just thought of. We actually did have what I'd call a spiritual motivation p.d. The presenter really seemed to be there for self-glorification. I felt like we were all expected to laugh at all the jokes, and just be amazed at her great oratory skills. It was really hard to focus on the message which was to encourage students as well as teachers to want to work and learn.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

I really can't believe what I'm reading here. It sounds like people are justifying their rude behavior by claiming to already know everything they need to know about teaching. I see a few flaws in this sort of thinking. First, I think it's incredibly arrogant to believe that any of us knows the absolute best way to teach and that we couldn't benefit from some additional information. Second, I think it is so very out of line to think that it's okay to be rude to another professional because we are bored! Would that rationalization ever fly in our classrooms? Would we ever think it's okay for our students to act out and be disrespectful because they are bored? Not every meeting is the be all end all of pedagogy, but seriously! Even if you aren't going to get any new information from the meeting, the very least you can be is a respectful listener.

I am a little stunned here, honestly. And since we're being honest, I'm quite disappointed. Yeah, I said it.

26. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 16, 2012

Excellent post! :thumb: I agree with everything you said except about being stunned.

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

I just took part in a 2 day summer conference where I was in a room where 5 schools were represented. Not only teachers were in there, but there were a few administrators there as well. And they just didn't sit in the back and watch either, they participated.

I agree. I know that there are some PDs that some teachers are required to attend and don't think is worth their time. Today was one of those days where the material was good, but the way it was presented could have been better. Some of the teachers, including some at my table, were talking during the presentation (part of it was complaining about how it was being run, most of it was asking what the heck to do)...I noticed some teachers come in after lunch, sign in, and then leave.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2012

I've presented some PD and it's horrible. Out of around thirty teachers, maybe half of them were respectful. That's probably a very generous estimate.

I have sat through ridiculous meetings and trainings. Ridiculous. But that's what I do. Sit there. Listen. Survive. Move on. And doodle, but I do that all the time and feel it's acceptable so long as I still make plenty of eye contact with the speaker to demonstrate I'm listening.

29. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 16, 2012

I really don't think it's fair to compare some of these PD meetings to our classrooms! I personally look at my students when I'm teaching them and I try and make sure that if they are bored, I mix it up a bit to try and figure out a way to reach them. There are a LOT of PD courses that do a power point, print out the power point as a handout, and READ the power point word for word.
    I've also been to a lot of PD courses where we were sent to go work on something as a group. Were we on topic 100% of the time, no! But we also made invaluable contacts with other teachers from other districts that saw us as the humans we are.

30. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

I totally agree! When I teach I am guaging my students' reactions, checking for understanding. When I am PD I sometimes get more out of the conversations I have with other teachers than the speaker. That doesn't mean we are rude, but there is power in collaboration and sometimes that collaborating isn't "on topic"... but it's always valuable.

31. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

Many great different valuable opinions here. While this was simply meant to be a vent post and let others chime in about other crapping meetings they have been in also; I guess it turned into being critical of other teachers who don't behave well enough.
    Well throw me in that category everyday. I'm the teacher who will talk to students while they are walking quietly in the halls, then they get in trouble for talking from their teacher. Or I'll peak into classroom doors and get kids to look at me, prompting their teachers to tell them to pay attention. Why; because you have to have some fun. I take people more seriously when they show a willingness to not take EVERYTHING so seriously, and I have seen that in many of my students also. Have a little fun, you only live once.

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2012

I would have to lock my door and explain to administration why if they asked. That's not fun...it's just annoying and disruptive.

33. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

I love to have fun with my students. There's a time and a place to be serious, however. At least, I think there is. I get it that many others adopt a more hedonistic worldview and want to have a good time all the time, regardless of the consequences. By all means, continue to act a fool at your job. I won't be doing that.

34. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again.

I'm THAT KID. The one who cannot possibly sit straight in my chair, stare at the teacher, and absorb information. It drives me bonkers, and I usually end up daydreaming or tapping my feet or drumming on the table or doing the awkward seat-shift every 13.5 seconds.

But if you give me a pen and a piece of paper, and I can doodle to my hearts content - or heck, play Fruit Ninja - I'm going to absorb everything being said. My hands have to be occupied in order for my mind to process.

Do I look like I'm being rude and not paying attention? Sure. But it's not the case. So please... for the wiggly kid out there who grew up to be a wiggly adult... cut some of the people you're bashing a little slack.

35. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

Doodling is not the issue. Laughing and talking while someone is presenting is the issue.

36. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

By peaking in doors, I meant the windows that we have in our doors. Or the entire door when teachers leave those open. And yes it is fun. Students need to see teachers as human. I tell my students (as Ceasar mentioned as well) that there is a time to be serious and a time to have some fun. It's just important to find that line and be able to get back across is when necessary.
    *I do the peeking in the door/window thing more to annoy the teacher than for the students. Make them relax a little and enjoy a lighthearted moment.

37. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 16, 2012

But how do you know it is not that "time to be serious" in the classroom you are disrupting?

38. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2012

Oh it could be. But just as every class needs that class clown, so do schools with their teachers. We as teachers may not like the timing of our funny characters while teaching, but the classroom overall is better with them. We enjoy them and we just deal with their timing. I chalk it up to that.
    One thing I can guarantee you (based on colleagues comments over the years) I can definitely surprise people and make them smile when they least expect it. Gotta have people you work with who do that.