Medical vent...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by swansong1, May 21, 2014.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 21, 2014

I'm officially exasperated with the way doctors treat young women. My daughter has had ongoing chronic abdominal pain for years. She has been from dr. to dr. with the same complaints. Every time, either in the office or the ER, her complaints have been summarily dismissed as heartburn or something similar.

A couple of nights ago she was again suffering from severe pain and she went to one ER who, again, sent her home with heartburn meds. They didn't see the need for further testing (dad was with her that night)

Next day, she calls me at work and says the pain is so bad she can't move. This time mom took her to a different ER and I pretty much demanded the doctors to put an end to this suffering (mama lion syndrome!)

Low and behold, they actually did some scans and tests and found out she had gall bladder problems. She will have surgery to remove it today. Problem solved :)

I wish there was something I could do to have her compensated from the first ER for misdiagnosing her.

Vent over :)

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 21, 2014

oh swan...I had gall bladder removed. I thought I was having heart attack.
    Any gall bladder issues in family? my surgeon asked this & told me I should tell sis to expect hers to come out as well...low and behold 5 yrs later hers was removed!

4. a2z

a2z Maven

May 21, 2014

I found the best way to get help is to have a primary doctor who you see regularly for a yearly check-up and any time you are ill enough to need a doctor. If a visit to the ER is needed, follow up should be done with the primary doctor and the doctor should be notified that the problem is persistent. Then being persistent and strongly telling the doctor that you won't continue to do the same thing over and over tends to get the ball rolling.

The big problem with medical care is that each new provider whether ER or not sees the problem as new instead of on-going even if you tell them it is on-going.

I'm happy they figured it out.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 21, 2014

What a completely unpleasant experience! Glad you got to the bottom of it fast.

6. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 21, 2014

Sometimes, you DO just have to be the mama lion (or daddy lion). I've been in and out of hospitals a LOT over the years with my Crohn's - more than enough to know doctors do NOT know everything and are not always right. I have lots of respect for nurses and the job they do, but they also make mistakes. So I've learned the ONLY true advocate for MY well being is ME and I speak my mind whenever I go in.

I'm VERY glad the doctors did find the problem and will get it fixed. I hope your daughter will FINALLY be pain free after the surgery.

As for being compensated for her first ER visit and misdiagnosis, you can explore some avenues with your insurance company or a lawyer, but don't expect too much.

Several years ago, I came VERY close to dying due to negligence and indifference on the part of nurses taking care of me. Because of their LACK of care, I ended up in the ICU for an extra 4 weeks after my initial surgery. My mom went all the way to the Assistant Admin/Director of Nursing. All they did was stall long enough to fix the documentation to cover their butts. When I contacted a lawyer in Atlanta that specialized in medical lawsuits, they told me that, since I didn't suffer PERMANENT harm (like dying or losing a limb), there wouldn't be much they could do. :eek:

The hospital DID eventually write-off my entire stay. At least, I suppose they did. We sent the first two bills we received back to them with a letter detailing the LACK of care I received at their facility. They never sent a third bill.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2014

I am so sorry that your daughter had to go through the pain, but glad that someone finally found the problem and it will be corrected.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 21, 2014

So sorry that she had to go through this; the pain from my gall bladder attacks is the worst I have ever experienced. So glad that someone finally listened and the cause was found.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 21, 2014

When I wrote a strongly-worded letter informing a clinic of my misdiagnosis, they reimbursed me for the cost, and sent a copy of the letter they placed in the doctor's file. She no longer works at that clinic. It's worth a shot!

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 21, 2014

Her great aunt had the surgery many years ago and I do know it could be genetic. We always tell our daughter that she is her great aunt reincarnated, they are so much alike.

Even her primary Dr's over the years did not pursue this diagnosis. I have suspected, but trusted that the Dr's knew their stuff.

We have asked the original ER to help with their part of the bill. Let's see what happens.

She told me to thank everyone for their well wishes.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 21, 2014

It took a year and a half and two hospitalizations to get my gall bladder diagnosis. Not sure why it is so difficult to diagnose.

Hopefully everything will go smoothly now.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 21, 2014

Something as simple as an ultrasound can find or rule out that problem. It is a shame. Gall bladder attacks are NOT FUN! Been there, done that, thought I was dying. Bless her heart!

13. bros

bros Phenom

May 21, 2014

Sometimes ERs don't think that young people can have problems like gallbladder issues - hell, when I had my wisdom teeth out, the nurse was shocked that I knew the names of the medical conditions that I had along with what medications I was on.

She was also shocked that I had heart problems at 23.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 21, 2014

I agree with Bros. Young women generally do not suffer from gall bladder issues. That, and the fact that the attacks mimic so many other condition, seem to make it less likely to get the gall bladder diagnosis.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 21, 2014

I feel your pain. Good luck with your daughter.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 21, 2014

Write a letter to the first hospital using words like "medical negligence".

I'm glad your daughter is getting treated. My 20 year old niece just got her gallbladder removed a few months ago. While it's not common, it does happen. Doctors shouldn't be so dismissive.

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 21, 2014

I like your idea of the letter.We have already lodged a complaint and now I have something else today to add to the complaint. The first hospital gave her meds because they said all the indicators were extremely positive for a uti. Fast forward to this evening. I asked the new hospital if they were going to continue her uti meds. The nurse gave me this funny look and said she doesn't have a uti. She even showed me the lab results.

Explains why she never had any uti symptoms :(

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 21, 2014

My gall bladder surgeon said it's not hereditary in the fact of genes, but how we have learned how to prepare food and what we eat!!! LOL!!!

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 22, 2014

I have to agree with this. We are already working on diet modifications to make our eating more healthy than it already is. There are lots of ways we can improve!

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 23, 2014

Why do so many doctors ignore the possibility of a bad Gall Bladder? I had to be a momma tiger to get my daughter surgery. I basically told the ER doctor that we were not leaving until they took her Gall Bladder out.