Medical stuff is fun!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bros, Apr 11, 2015.

1. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 14, 2017

Uber and the car service I use have similar prices. Uber's minimum is the same price it costs to go anywhere in town with the company I use.

2. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jun 14, 2017

You should definitely look into using Uber and Meetup.com. Whenever I move to a new area I get onto meetup and there are TONS of activities of all sorts on there... it is a fabulous way to meet people!

SageScience likes this.
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2017

Are you well enough to get out and about, bros?

4. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 15, 2017

Today I got a phone call from my MSKCC onc's office. After he got back into the country today, he checked his email and saw a response from the guy down at UVA, who approved a medication vacation provided I get a blood draw every two weeks to keep a very close eye on my numbers.

I haven't really done anything social outside of family events in over two years. Before the cancer, I didn't just go out to see random people I met online, I have never been an extrovert.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2017

What about meeting up with old friends you haven't seen on a while? Might do you good!

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 16, 2017

I don't have any friends.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2017

Bros. You have online connections. And we all wish you well. Wondering if your life outlook is day by day. Or longer term. Or do you have thoughts to enter the workforce. And how you can be a candidate for in or out of education given your limitations health wise, social challenges, physical, etc etc. What are you envisioning short and long term goals and how can we support you?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    vateacher757 likes this.
  8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 16, 2017

There's always an ad for online ELL teachers. Have you looked into this? It wouldn't help with getting you out of the house, but it would be other than family human connection time, even if it might not be the same as in person.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2017

Your employability challenges and social life status existed before the election,bros, and will continue regardless of changes in the political realm just as they existed before you got cancer. We all wish the best for you. What remains are the questions that have always persisted. Of course your main focus is and should be getting healthy. What else....What would be your social and work goals and what can you do to make some of those happen realistically without excuses? And how can we offer support? Be well, bros.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  10. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 18, 2017

The chance of me having even crappier coverage than what is currently provided by medicaid wasn't a possibility before the election. I cannot have any work goals until my health is somewhat stable.

Socially, it'd be nice to have friends, but that isn't happening so whatever.

If you want me to stop posting just tell me that and stop pussyfooting around.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2017

No one wants you to stop posting, bros. I have 2 children who are close to your age; nothing would make me sadder than to hear them say that they have no friends and no hope for the future. You've been dealt a tough hand; a very, very tough hand. Nothing is easy, but it's not impossible. Over the years, I know that we've given you lots of suggestions about possible ways to expand your social circle. It's not easy moving outside of your comfort zone--believe me, I know. (I don't have the physical struggles and limitations that you do, but I have gone through some significant life changes in the past year that have pushed me to do things that I never thought I could).

You can go places. You can meet people. You can have an active social life. You can live a far different life than the one who are living right now. I can't speak for others, but I want things to be very different for you than what they are right now.

vateacher757 and czacza like this.
  12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2017

This has always been at the core of most responses to your posts and wishes for you. Be well.

SandyCastles likes this.
  13. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Jun 18, 2017

Yes, I have been rooting for you and for your situation to improve since you started posting. If getting/holding down a job is too tough for you right now, I hope you can find some ways to branch out a bit socially. Maybe some sort of class? Not an academic type, more of a hobby type such as cooking or art? Sometimes these are offered at community centers or even the instructor's home. Do you have a local paper with ads for your area? You never know what might be available.

teacherintexas and czacza like this.
  14. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 19, 2017

I don't have no hope for the future. I know that I have a future, it is just that things are a bit murky right now given the recent change in my treatment plan. If I stay off it for a while and my numbers are stable, I can start looking into work (I could do a day or two of subbing a month before it causes issues insurance-wise). If my numbers drop and I have to go back onto the current medication, I will re-examine my situation then. Maybe they can try a lower dose of the meds or experiment with a different administration. If they switch me to the second line medication, that's only 6-12 months, then people usually have stability for a bit. No matter what, holding down a job is a bit off, which sucks.

It is hard to think of things like that because my mind goes through all of the what-ifs. It would also be very out of character for me to do very social things like that unprompted.

I was on a good path when I was student teaching - I was socializing with people regularly. I was as comfortable as I could be given the circumstances. I had interviews every once in a while, which helped with my anxiety. Being required to have the interaction is what works best for me - I had to socialize during classes - or people talked to me, which helped me become more comfortable.

Academic would probably be easier for me comfort zone wise, but it all depends on how my numbers are looking in the coming weeks and months. Art is a no-go for me, cooking would be okay, but I would need someone to assist me. I'm good at reading the recipe and getting the stuff organized, it's just the execution part of recipes that is hard for me.

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 19, 2017

What about a book club, or an author visit at a bookstore, or a guest speaker at a university-anything to get out of the house and see people?
    What about light volunteer work? I know our local Ronald McDonald house has all sorts of needs.