Medical stuff is fun!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bros, Apr 11, 2015.

1. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 11, 2015

So when I went to the neurologist at the end of January, he ordered a run of the mill blood test to make sure my liver levels are fine and my medication levels are fine.

So I got the bloodwork done at the beginning of March, like two weeks after being sick. Had some abnormal levels, but it was my first time using the lab company (never going back there again, they were rather bad at their jobs). So March 28th, went to a nearby hospital and got my blood drawn there. Had abnormal levels again, some further increased. So my neurologist had me lower one of my seizure medications (Depakote ER from x2 daily to x1 daily).

And my GP told me to see a hematologist/oncologist. Which I did on Tuesday. At that time, he said it could range from anything from a vitamin deficiency, to some more severe things, like cancer, but not to worry, as I am not showing symptoms of much of anything, so I am relatively well off. So he scheduled a followup for this coming Wednesday, and said he wouldn't call unless something needed action sooner.

So he called today. He saw things under the microscope "that he never expected to see."

Surprisingly, no vitamin deficiencies or abnormalities - all of that is normal.

I have a really high count of Lymphocytes - a term used as an umbrella term for the three types of White Blood Cells. I also have an extremely high amount of a specific type of white blood cell, the type of which is exceedingly rare in general, and even rarer in someone as young as me.

So now on Sunday, I get to get an ultrasound of my spleen & liver. Then on Wednesday, I get to have a bone marrow biopsy/extraction/aspiration/whatever it is called.

And now the diagnosis can range from something easily treatable (though I think that is less likely at this point), to an incredibly rare disease/disorder that only a handful of doctors in the US know how to treat.

Yay. Medical stuff. I was sort of hoping for a vitamin deficiency, but I knew in the back of my mind it wouldn't be that simple a solution with my medical history.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 11, 2015

I'm sorry. Hoping for the best for you.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2015

Oh geesh. Doesn't sound like fun at all.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 11, 2015

Good luck! Experience has taught me to use the same labs for all blood draws.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 11, 2015

So sorry you're dealing with this. Hoping for the best outcome.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 11, 2015

So sorry, bros.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 11, 2015

I was forced to use the lab I did not like at all because my insurance decided to switch to them for their preferred lab.

So now I am just going to go to one of the local hospitals.

And my new hematologist can do basic blood tests there on premises, then send it out to a lab that does all sorts of fancy tests.

It'll be interesting. If it is the thing that only a handful of doctors in the country know how to treat - he mentioned that one of the closer ones is in Virginia.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2015

Keeping you in my thoughts, bros.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2015

Let us know how it goes.

11. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 12, 2015

And i'm awake to head to the ultrasound in under an hour.

12. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2015

Hope you get your results quickly so you dont have to wait and wonder.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 12, 2015

And we're back. Going to get results in a few days. My dad looked at the ultrasound while it was being done - he thought everything looked normalish (but he has no medical training) - other than my kidneys, which we already knew were weird.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 12, 2015

Hope all results are negative (for whatever issue it is).

15. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 12, 2015

Not having an enlarged liver and/or spleen would be a good sign - that usually is indicative of cancer.

Bone marrow will be more explanatory

and painful.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2015

Wishing you the best, bros.:angel:

17. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 13, 2015

Eh, just more medical fun.

Should probably take a break from the job search for the near future, though.

18. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 13, 2015

I hope it goes well for you.

19. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2015

Why??? Don't be so negative about the medical tests. I am on several epilepsy meds also and my tests come back abnormal quite often. Everything is probably ok and you will still need a job. Keep up the search--this is hiring season for next year!!

20. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 13, 2015

The liver levels have already lowered quite a bit, when I was tested last Tuesday, a week after the lowering of the depakote, they were about 30 points lower than they were on the 28th of March - and only 20 points away from normal liver levels.

The hematologist/oncologist does not think all of this abnormal blood work could be caused by Depakote ER. The Depakote could be raising the liver levels, but it wouldn't cause a full immune system response like what is happening in my blood.

21. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 13, 2015

My dad talked to the woman who performs the bone marrow biospy. She's going to get the doctor to prescribe some percocet for me to take before I leave for the appointment.