Meal prep

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by otterpop, Aug 7, 2018.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 7, 2018

Share your meal prep recipes and resources here!

I've been thinking about freezer meals and want easy and healthy recipes I can try.

It can be so difficult to eat healthy and real meals during the school year.

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 7, 2018

I love meal prepping! For the past 9 years, I've had a 60 minute commute home from school. The very last thing I want to do when I get home is start cooking something. Every Sunday I make 2 meals - 1 for lunch, 1 for supper - and I freeze the meals into small portions. It makes lunch & supper super easy for the rest of the week.

I eat a mostly paleo diet, and one of my favourite websites for recipes is: https://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/. I have never gone wrong with a recipe from this site - everything is so tasty. Don't let the paleo scare you!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2018

Do you have an Instant Pot?

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 10, 2018

Thinking about starting a meal prep habit, though I don't have one now. I will say that one thing that I'm proud to say I do for meals/health is to grow my own sprouts in mason jars. I supplement pretty much every meal at home (e.g. a burrito from Chipotle) with a nice bunch of sprouts. It is a cheap, easy, and healthy way to add a good health kick to your diet.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 11, 2018

We typically don’t prep the whole meal, but we will cook large quantities of meat and freeze in small portions. For instance, we will cook an entire crock pot of chicken, and then use it for chicken casserole, chicken salad, chicken & barley soup, fajitas, chicken & dumplings, or quesadillas.

We write meals on a calendar. Every Sunday we plan for the week. How much effort we put into meals depends on what we have going on that week. We have a second calendar that lists our after-school commitments for the week.

We went rogue on our meals this summer. It was bad. I ate a ton of cereal. We have been back on a routine the past two weeks since I’ve been working.

JimG likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 11, 2018

I do not. Is it really worth getting? I've heard good things.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 11, 2018

I did too! Trying to get back on schedule.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2018

Yes. It has made my weekday life so much easier. My favorite thing to cook is frozen meatballs, dry pasta, a jar of sauce, and a jar of water. It only takes 8 minutes. EIGHT!

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 11, 2018

We don’t have an Instant Pot, but we do have a pressure cooker and slow cooker. I do way more with the slow cooker. I love cooking fresh green beans in the pressure cooker, though.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2018

I Ned to be better about planning and prepping meals on the weekend. It's just my daughter and me, but with grad school, coaching and tutoring, her schedule is crazy at times and I end up picking up things on the fly more often than I'd like to.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2018

I make those little muffin pan eggs to grab and go. I buy the pre washed salad mix, grape tomatoes, nuts. I make quinoa or tuna or salmon so salads are easy to throw together at night with those leftovers. I bought a 24 ounce swell bottle to fill with water and stay hydrated.

mrsf70 likes this.
  13. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Aug 12, 2018

You and I are on the same wave length. I do as much ahead on the weekend as I can, from lunches to suppers. My crockpot is a blessing, as well as a hubby who does a lot of grilling. Lunches are made on Sunday night to get me through until at least Wednesday. On weeks I fall off the planning wagon, lunch and dinner are nightmares.

czacza likes this.
  14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 15, 2018