May Madness

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, May 15, 2018.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

May 16, 2018

I hope you do. Not having money is scary, and especially since you spend so much on getting more certifications!

MsAbeja and Leaborb192 like this.
  2. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

May 16, 2018

I always remember going straight up until the last day when I was in school; not sure how today's students got the idea the last two weeks (month..six weeks...etc) don't matter.

MsAbeja likes this.
  3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 16, 2018

From the teachers themselves and the standardized testing, probably.

MsAbeja and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  4. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

May 16, 2018

This exactly. So many teachers at my school have completely scrapped their daily routines and lessons, and then they wonder why the kids have gone wild. Well... it's because they know you're done. I'm keeping this in mind for next year; my 1st graders are going to work and have our routine until the very last day, or as close to it as possible.

MissScrimmage, MsAbeja and mathmagic like this.
  5. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 16, 2018

Here's how I avoided a number of problems that overwhelmed so many teachers at my last school - I simply did the opposite of what was considered to be the norm. To counter the increased energy levels that tended to arise at predictable times of the year (prior to the holiday season, spring fever, end of year), I just stuck to my usual routine until the last day - exactly like 3Sons and miss-m have said. I actually think the students preferred the predictable structure of my program (i.e. business-as-usual) to the mass hysteria that was so apparent throughout the rest of the school, including in the office. May Madness, what's that? Unfortunately, the answer to this and other problems in our school is often just plain common sense.

BTW, I surmise that May Madness or any other form of classroom madness is indicative of who is in control of the class.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 16, 2018

Hope you get some interviews soon.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 16, 2018

There are a lot of factors that come into play when having a not-so-consistent schedule toward the end of the school year. First off, we just completed SBAC testing and are in the midst of district benchmarks. Next week, most (almost all) grade-levels are taking field trips. We've also got awards assemblies, field day, science fair, dress up/theme days, talent show, staff vs. student volleyball tournament, a school dance, and other things I'm probably forgetting.

Also, ELD & RtI ended last Friday (our clinicians/providers were only contracted until the end of last week).

All those different factors impede on a business as usual approach.

MsAbeja likes this.
  8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 16, 2018

It was FANTASTIC! They really took ownership of it and I didn't hear any complaining about how they didn't want to do it. But they were a good group. We put the writing process into action and they really enjoyed seeing the finished product! I took a "Literature and the Arts'' class in grad school and we had to do the same thing. So I was glad when I got to do it with my kids.
    :D

MissScrimmage likes this.
  9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 16, 2018

One of our issues is seniors. A lot of them have checked out, thinking they're basically done, they'll pass, therefore they'll graduate. Probably true, but the problem is that with that attitude goes the decline in behaviors.
    Then we have seniors who are "afraid' to graduate and are sabotaging their success. We have one like that, I swear he wants to stay for another semester because all of a sudden he lost his mind. In 6th period he started arguing and yelling at me, cussed at me, called me stupid, when I sent him out, he refused. When I called the office he hung up on my phone twice.
    When he was finally on his way he stood in front to entertain the class and shouted things like I'm going to work for him because "I own this f..ing district", etc, or just stood there and grinned, enjoyed the attention. Missed about 5-7 minutes of instructional time, thanks to him.
    Seriously?? There were a few things I really wanted to say to him but we can't. So, so annoyed right now, but luckily I don't have to see him tomorrow because he cussed at me. And I have him 2 periods !!

Everyone is tired and tired of everything, we're all counting down the days. Our last day is June 7th, that last week is a 4 day minimum day week, with 2 days being finals. So technically we have the rest of this week and 2 weeks.

10. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 16, 2018

I start the last quarter with a breakdown of how the year will end. We work and test until the final day. I send an email home saying that as well. ("As you make your summer plans, please be aware that your student has tests, quizzes and presentations that are valued as a test grade all the way until the last day of school.")
    Then I do the same reminder about week 4. Different words, same message.
    Everyone knows what to expect. I have had zero absences during the last 3 weeks, and expect none as we finish out. I have had zero office referrals. We stick to our schedule. (I have had some of the wall decor removed, but we are on schedule whether the walls are decorated or not.)
    Like others here have expressed, the schedule is the sanity saver at the year's end. It keeps students safe to know that things are the same as they have always been throughout the year. The nervous anticipation is dispelled by the sameness of the rest of the year.