May Madness

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, May 15, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 15, 2018

Goodness gracious. It seems like no matter where you're at in May (elementary, middle, or high school), students' behaviors are always exacerbated. Sheesh! T minus 16 days!

3. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 15, 2018

8.5 days for me, and I'm about to rip my hair out.

MsAbeja and nstructor like this.
  4. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

May 15, 2018

Seven more days. Thankfully two are half days (we have early release on Wednesdays); unfortunately one is a field trip.

A lot of kids have lost their minds, it's really crazy.

MsAbeja and nstructor like this.
  5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2018

We need to finish May and have all of June to go! It doesn't minimize the May craziness--just extends it!

MsAbeja and Leaborb192 like this.
  6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 15, 2018

I live under the keep it real until the very last minute. We are keeping to a schedule in my room and still have homework. It seems to really help with things not getting too out of hand!

MsAbeja, otterpop and MissScrimmage like this.
  7. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

May 15, 2018

It's not easy subbing in May! Resisting.... chocolate...binge...

Leaborb192 likes this.
  8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

May 15, 2018

LOL!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 15, 2018

We definitely spent a recess today practicing voice level 0, a whisper voice, and a conversational voice. Not letting myself get into the mindset of the fact that there's only 5-6 weeks left and start pulling out all sorts of random rewards or change things up too much...as tempting as it is!

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 15, 2018

Yes! I always found that my students quit when I quit. So, we kept the routine as normal as possible until the very last day. Hard to do with so many interruptions, but I think it's so important. This might work better with the little ones than the older ones - my grade 1s had no concept of the end of the year and simply followed my lead.

MsAbeja likes this.
  11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 15, 2018

LOL I subbed today and literally thought "Is it just me? Is it because I'm a sub?" But as I was walking around the building peeking into other teachers' rooms... I was like NOPE!
    The drama and craziness is dialed up to like 12!
    You can tell a lot of the kids are just sick of each other and being in the same room, routine, etc.

MsAbeja likes this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 15, 2018

All of the college kids are back so they're taking the sub jobs, which is a pain because I need the money, but at the same time, I'm sort of relieved because... yeah... the behaviors. :D If I can get at least 2- 3 days a week for the rest of the year I should be fine.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 15, 2018

I heard rumblings that our 6th graders want to have a food fight before school's out. I let them know today that they're welcome to have a food fight...if they want to lose their 6th grade end-of-year dance, field day, and trip to the local trampoline park. You could hear a pin drop after that (not that I want it silent in the cafeteria, but you get the idea).

14. futuremathsprof

May 15, 2018

I hope you have no trouble paying the bills!

15. futuremathsprof

May 15, 2018

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

MsAbeja likes this.
  16. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 15, 2018

I think this is good but it works best as a whole school policy! Otherwise students get bitter when other classes are at free recess and you tell them to get their textbooks out.

MsAbeja and Leaborb192 like this.
  17. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 16, 2018

True! I kept to my instructional blocks but I used the time for review where I created lessons / found games to make sure my kids knew the standards. I also used this time to create some more creative and fun lessons. For example, we read Runaway Ralph and then turned it into a play. We even watched the cheesy 80's movie and had a lot of laughs. But it helped with visualizing the characters and how to bring them to life. I taught my third graders how to adapt a book as a play so we went to the computer lab almost daily and typed away. Afterward, they created the puppets we used and the scenery and we performed the play the last day of the school for anybody who wanted to come and watch!
    My kids were so engaged and busy that they didn't even realize that they were working nor did they care when other kids did get the extra recess.
    I had to keep the picture of the puppets because they are just too adorable. All kids created one for each character and we voted on which ones we'd use during the play.
    The end of the year should be hands on projects that you just don't have time to do during the school year. We also did a lot of science that we neglected to do.
    [​IMG]

18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 16, 2018

Let's just say I'm hoping that I get a FT job for the fall. If I do, I'll breath a sigh of relief. Money is definitely tight.
    :(

MsAbeja likes this.
  19. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 16, 2018

It’s really hard to keep to routine when the school schedules so many interruptions. Yesterday alone, we were out of the room for three separate “special events” that were 40-60 minutes long, each. We are trying to give all our quarterly assessments as well, which are definitely not engaging, but must be done.

otterpop likes this.
  20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 16, 2018

Awww, I always did The Mouse and the Motorcycle along with the cheesy 80's movie! I'm moving back to grade 1 in the fall and I'll have to bring this back out in June. I love the idea of making puppets and turning it into a play.

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 16, 2018

Some of our newer enrollees are just starting to realize that we're a year-round school. I almost feel sorry for them. :whistle: