Math the first days of school?!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 2ndGradeSub, Aug 14, 2006.

1. 2ndGradeSub

2ndGradeSub Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

Hello, it is me again...sorry. I was wondering for the first week of school what I should do for math. I know I want to do reviewing and then delve into work the 2nd week of school. But anyone know of some fun math activities for 3rd grade they can do the first several days??
    The first day I am going to have them create a birthday bar graph, but I do not know what to do the 2nd and 3rd day. Any ideas would be fantastic!! You guys are wonderful on here!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Aug 14, 2006

The possibilities for more bar graphs are endless -- how I get to school, my favorite subject, my favorite resource/special, etc.

Ten Ways to Make Ten is another favorite of mine -- see if the kids can up with 10 different ways to make the number 10 (such as 8 + 2, 14 - 4, 100 - 90) If you do it as a whole group, it will help you learn a lot about your children -- I always love the ones who think of 200 - 190 or something wild like that, or the ones who try to figure out what you'd have to subtract from one million to get ten.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2006

Have the students create a "Math About Me" poster. They can display numbers that describe them--e.g hockey number, telephone number, house number, age, height in inches, number of people in family, etc. I let the students cut the numbers out of magazines, trace stencils, or draw the numbers.

5. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

I like this idea and may use it for my gr.1's. do the kids just glue any numbers on and then explain it to you later. Could you tell me more?

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 14, 2006

Today we did a graph about how we go home.
    Tomorrow we are doing a glyph, maybe play a little attribute game if we have time.
    Wednesday we are going to graph the letters in our names.
    Thursday I think birthday graph.
    Friday I think I'm going to introduce the problem of the day.

I just dont know where we are going to put all these graphs. :)

Next week we'll introduce workbooks and do the review activities, maybe some review games, and then introduce math journals. I wanted to have a math celebration where they get their math journals and play up how now they are mathematitions!! I also wanted to do math about me but am thinking about doing it as a homework assignment. Third week we'll start the actual lessons.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 14, 2006

I like to play Matho (like bingo) the first week.

8. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2006

The first full day of school we start right off with our math series. (1st grade) It is great because the very first few lessons are counting things in the room and some graphing.

9. 2ndGradeSub

2ndGradeSub Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

Miss kirby-
    What are you doing your glyph on? and what grade are you teaching? That sounds great, I like the idea of all those graphs.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 14, 2006

Today students in my extra support math group made a graph about their favorite sports. They did extremely well! It took about ten minutes.

Besides that, we talked about place value and did a human place value activity as well as made a chart where the students ordered numbers according to their values. I said, for example, "Come up with a five digit number where the tens digit is 8." They did ok on that.

We also did Around the World with multiplication. One boy was pretty excited about winning... I guess he's gotten it down more than some of the others in that arena. I am beginning to see where exactly I'll have to work with them! Yet Around the World is a good way to see if students know their basic facts and more.

11. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 14, 2006

First Grade.

It's a school bus glyph. There are questions about how you get home from school, how many siblings you have, how old you are, etc.

By the way the morning before we do our name graph, I will read Chrysanthemum and we'll play Name Bingo. :) So fun.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2006

For my Math About Me posters the students put the numbers on the posters and write a few words to explain the significance of the number. I have older students, but for younger ones or for some of my "non-writers" having them explain is a good idea.