Math Series For Common Core Standards?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Love to Teach, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 13, 2013

Hi...just wondering what math series are being used to meet the common core standards. We are in the process of chosing a series and would really love any insight anyone can give us, as to which one to choose. Thanks so much. :)

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 13, 2013

My district adopted Math in Focus last year. Unfortunately, I don't like it much, but then I rarely use textbooks for any subject. We also use an Every Day Counts calendar math, which I do really like.

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 13, 2013

We are still using Every Day Math, but we had math cohorts develop a pacing guide which gives us the freedom to break away from EDM and use supplementals.

5. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jun 13, 2013

We chose Go Math but there's talks of starting to look for a new program already.

My old district chose Singapore.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2013

Ugh we, did that this year. Nightmare.

We're using GO math next year.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 13, 2013

The primary grades have gone with GO MATH. The rest of us are waiting until there is more money.

8. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 13, 2013

Thanks, everyone! :) Any particular reasons why you like or don't like a particular series? (Sorry to be such a bother!) :)

LMichele, we have been looking at Go Math...only the first one we looked at, though. Any reason why you are wanting to change it so soon?

Again, many thanks for everyone's input. :)

9. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 13, 2013

My district uses a combination of Math Investigations, EnVisions, and Everyday Math.

10. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 13, 2013

I'm not elementary, but my district is holding off on purchasing new math texts for a few years until we get ahold of what Common Core looks like in the classroom and find a truly "Common Core aligned" quality text.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2013

That's why we didn't buy anything this year. Everything was claiming to be "common core aligned" but we hadn't actually seen them so we didn't want to get something that wasn't true to what we were looking for. We got GO Math in the middle of the year knowing our city was going towards this program and we liked it sooo much better than EDM. We will still supplement here and there but it will be so nice to have a program next year!

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 13, 2013

We're switching to Go Math next year. Can't give any advice as I haven't seen it yet. Hopefully I'll like it!

13. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jun 13, 2013

I don't teach math so I can't really give specifics. The feeling I got from my co-workers is that it was a lot of "stuff" to make a great program, but none of it ever worked the way it should. We went all year without being able to access the interactive technology for it with no support from the company. Teachers had to make all of their own assessments, even though the program comes with assessments. And it was a huge change for the students-they had to do things they had never been asked to do and it threw them off and they did terribly. But I think that would have been with any common core program.

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2013

That's for sure. Luckily my school seems to have been ahead of the curve when it comes to implementing common core in math, even though we were doing it without a legit program until the middle of this year. (Even then we only got the workbooks) But it's definitely going to take a few years to catch up to where all the kids have been exposed to enough that they don't do terribly compared to what they did before. Shopping around for a new program isn't going to fix that. With that said, our kids did very well on state math tests this year, better than expected.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 14, 2013

What made it a nightmare? I am glad that we don't have to follow a program and that we can find our own resources to teach the standard in depth.
    I love VanDeWalle and Burns, and I use much of their strategies to teach the concepts. I have seen better results by doing this.