Math Praxis 5169 - please read and HELP =)

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Acamp, May 17, 2018.

1. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

May 17, 2018

Good morning everyone!
    I am taking the math Praxis 5169 next Saturday the 26th. I have been taking ALL the practice tests in the REA study book. I am only scoring high 60s though. I need a 157 to pass the praxis due to my GPA.

For those who have recently passed the 5169, can you please share how you prepared for your success to pass it? Which study books did you use? Is the REA book helpful to pass?

Any help I would so appreciate it. I just NEED to pass this exam in regards to my current job/family situation. I also have the ETS practice tests that are purchased from the ETS site. Are those the best practice tests?

Any and all help I would so appreciate. THANK YOU in advance!

3. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

May 17, 2018

Good morning everyone!
    I saw a thread regarding EXAM EDGE practice tests for praxis preparation, but the thread was old so hopefully someone can chime in.

I need to take the Praxis 5169 middle school math in less than two weeks. Has anyone used EXAM EDGE to prepare for that specific 5169 praxis? If so, could you tell me your experience with that?

Thank you in advance!

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

May 17, 2018

Familiarize yourself with the on-screen calculator. Download the trial version and play around with it. I found out that you can actually type out function commands instead of having to click menus to access them. For example, typing “tan(pi/4)” will output 1.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 17, 2018

Welcome to A to Z, Acamp. Your threads on Praxis 5169 have been merged; A to Z Forums policy strongly discourages duplicate threads on the same topic at the same time.

The free online Study Companion (or whatever Praxis is calling it these days) is a reliable source as to the topics that the test covers. Many takers of single-subject math tests get good results from using the online doc to guide them as they work through a good math book or one of the online free math resources such as Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org) or Math Is Fun (www.mathsisfun.com). If neither of those suits you, Free Technology for Teachers (www.freetech4teachers.com) lists alternatives.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

May 17, 2018

Thanks for the merge - I appreciate it. I’m new here so still trying to navigate.

Does anyone though have any specific practice prep books for the 5169? I thought someone on here may have recently taken that praxis exam who can recommend a good solid practice/prep book. That’s why I also asked exam edge.

7. JaneK

JaneK Rookie

May 21, 2018

I used the Mometrix 5169 Study Guide. Good luck!