Math Praxis 5161

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by MrCoach615, May 12, 2016.

1. smugbabygoat

smugbabygoat New Member

Apr 20, 2017

Hi everyone!!

I've recently decided to take advantage of my state's Career Switcher Program to teach secondary math. I wasn't a math major- not even close. But it's the only subject I see myself teaching as it was my favorite growing up. I plan on taking the Praxis in August so I can apply for the Spring 2018 program session. Any tips or advice would be really appreciated! Especially any advice for a person who hasn't taken any math courses since high school (9 years ago!). Thanks!

2. PointDragon

PointDragon Rookie

Apr 20, 2017

Much of the stuff out there is not very useful. It took me a number of times to pass; hadn't taken math courses in over 40 years! Know that most questions ask more than one concept at once. Get familiar with the on screen calculator; it's required now. Cliff notes yellow book is a good refresher, as is Praxis2Math, especially for probability.
    Big news, though, after several 158s, I finally passed with a 193.
    Anyone know if they'll bring back the ROE for math?
    Good luck!

3. PointDragon

PointDragon Rookie

Apr 20, 2017

Well said!!!

4. Nanagyizi

Nanagyizi New Member

Jun 8, 2017

This test deserves lot more practice.It is very important to know concepts graphically, algebraically and analytically. Questions are nested with more than a domain listed on the ETS website. I took it on the 8th of May and passed. Do not ever give up because this test can shake your confidence. Cliffnotes and Khanacademy.org are good resources. Pretty much the coveted 160 is attainable if you are within 10 or 15 points .

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2017

Congratulations, Nanagyizi!

Your observation about questions tapping into more than one domain is key not just for this test but for most teacher tests.

Nanagyizi likes this.
  6. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jun 13, 2017

Hey, TeacherGroupie

I got a 169 Scaled Score with an asterisk next to it. I read that it's possible that it could go down. Is it possible that it could go down 10 points? Passing for me is a 160 and like most other states. When you were saying constructed responses for the tests.... Are those the fill in the blank problems that are not necessarily graded? Thanks

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 14, 2017

While it's certainly possible that an unofficial scaled score could be higher than the official scaled score, that sort of thing doesn't happen often. When an unofficial scaled score is issued at the end of a testing appointment, it's usually for a test or subtest that includes only question types that can be scored by machine: standard multiple-choice questions, of course, but also true-false or matching questions and fill-in questions (especially numerical fill-ins).

A constructed response is a written response that isn't a fill-in; you might call a question that asks for such a response an "essay question" - though I think it makes sense to reserve "essay question" for questions to which the response really is an essay, such as for basic-skills writing.

Questions that don't get scored are questions that are being field-tested for inclusion in future versions of a test. In my experience, these are exclusively selected-response questions (multiple choice and matching) and possibly fill-ins, but not constructed responses.

8. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jun 14, 2017

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful response. Basically you're saying that my score isn't going to go down at all? Correct?

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 14, 2017

I never go that far, Ash G - but I'll go so far as to say that it will surprise me to see it go down.

10. funkymom

funkymom Rookie

Jun 19, 2017

Hey guys! I just returned from taking the 5161 for the umpteenth time ....it flashed up with a 161. I sincerely started to shake. I know it's not official yet but I'm so excited. Is there anyone out there who's taken this test and had the scaled score be lower when they received the official results? I have honestly taken this test 11 times from 2014 until today. I have received scores at times and also NS. None of my scores have ever changed when the real results were available. I am hoping this is my case and the 161 stands. Does anyone have any experience with scores going down?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 20, 2017

I haven't heard of that happening, except on tests with components that have to be graded separately.

12. kells

kells New Member

Jun 20, 2017

I am taking this test tomorrow for the first time and getting nervous. Can you tell me what it said your raw point were?

funkymom likes this.
  13. kells

kells New Member

Jun 20, 2017

On your 169 what was your raw points?

14. funkymom

funkymom Rookie

Jun 20, 2017

I received only a 31 raw (21 and 10). I have gotten a raw of 35 and 33 previously and not hit 160. I am hoping my 161 stands. Good luck. This was a very difficult test for me. I have taken it many times scoring in the 150's over 5 times. I had an issue with timing, and I hated the online calculator. BUT I really want to teach high school math, so I studied and studied and made sure I understood concepts. I also planned how I would answer questions if I ran into things that I wasn't able to reach an answer on quickly. I really hope this was my last time.

CherryOak and kells like this.
  15. Toya

Toya New Member

Jun 23, 2017

How was the test, to the most recent test takers ?

16. S1908

S1908 Rookie

Jun 24, 2017

Hello all,

On yesterday I took the test and I could not believe the results, I was 7 points away from passing. That's two questions that needed to be correct. I literally had to guess on 15 plus questions and unchecked the marked questions so that they would count with 5 minutes left. After the test, I realized that I made 6 stupid mistakes on 6 questions. These questions were so easy, but I wasn't confident in my answers. I hope the unofficial score could go up 7 points lol but I highly doubt it. Next month, I'm giving it a try for the last time to graduate with my masters degree in December. Well wishes are appreciated!!

17. Toya

Toya New Member

Jun 24, 2017

Hey , hun. What resources have you been using to study ? Any specifics on the actual test as well ?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  18. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jun 27, 2017

Hey,

The ironic thing is that I didn't actually check my raw score. I was so ecstatic that I passed with seeing the scaled score of 169* that I didn't go any further to read what it said below. The first time I took it I got a 155 scaled from a 32 raw. I'm assuming based off the person that got a 161 scaled and a 31 raw that I got around a 34 or 35 raw. You really want to aim for not getting less than 14 questions wrong that are graded out of the 50. I would say I know my math content pretty well BUT the time was the killer with me. I probably could have gotten at least 3 more questions right if I had more time. Another thing is there are so many versions of the test you can't narrow the test down based off what other people say. I think the best guide out there is to follow the actual Praxis Guide for 5161 and study problems from the Can You? section. I also used the Third Edition of Cliff Notes that I thought was pretty good and the online tests from ETS. I honestly didn't study that much because at the end of the day you need to know the math given a specific problem. I work with a guy who could take the test cold and probably get a 200 and a 50 raw plus all the questions that aren't graded correct as well. Though he is the smartest guy in our math department and did research in quantum mechanics. Lol.

19. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jun 27, 2017

Not too bad

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  20. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Jun 28, 2017

What did you think of the test? Did you get your scaled and raw score as well? I won't be able to get my official report until July 7th but if you get a scaled score that will most likely be your official score. I have never heard of a case of it going down but only going up. It's possible that your official score can go down 1 to 3 points but is rare.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017