Math mistake on another teacher's board.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 13, 2018

Okay so I'm just going to have to say this – I beg your forgiveness ahead of time – this is going to be an asinine argument I can already smell it. Personally I clean my classroom because I don't think our janitor staff ever puts any effort in to it. I tried letting them take care of it and a purple stain stayed on the floor for a week before I scraped it up myself.

That being said, some districts have a very you do your job I'll do my job. In other words teachers get written up for things that aren't considered their job. It's important to remember that different districts have different rules.

Also I think the glassware thing is unfair because for one it's a matter of safety but for two going back to the rules thing it may very well be a legitimate "call the janitor let them handle it don't mess with it" situation.

2. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 13, 2018

I have a very cozy classroom, yes. I erase my whiteboard, but they do it real nice with the spray and everything. And they take out my trash (well, mostly my student's trash) and sweep my floors. I wouldn't want it any other way. Plus if teachers started doing all that, a lot of hard working people would be out of jobs.

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 13, 2018

Let's say not glassware (I don't teach science), but vomit. I surely am not cleaning vomit. I will call a janitor for that without batting an eyeclass. It sucks that you would have to clean up vomit. I feel bad.

Anyway, talk about derailed thread.

4. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 13, 2018

Agreed. I'll do glass in a heart beat (I do teach science after all) but I don't do vomit. I don't even like having to clean up my own vomit let alone someone else's. I call janitors for that.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 13, 2018

I wouldn’t have to clean up vomit. That is a biohazard and our janitors would handle that. I’m taking about dusting and minor tasks that take seconds to a few minutes. For instance, I just put my trash cans in the hallway at the end of my work day and the janitors take it out and reline the waste bin in the evening. Then, in the morning I just put the trash cans back inside near the door. It literally takes a few seconds and a few steps.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  6. futuremathsprof

Oct 13, 2018

But wouldn’t the janitors still have the bathrooms, hallways, and school grounds to tend to? They’d still have a job.

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 14, 2018

Indeed, it literally takes few seconds and a few steps so it's not that much extra work on the janitor to walk into your room if they are taking the trash can from outside your room anyway.

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 14, 2018

Yes, but not as many of them would. We have probably close to 100 classrooms. There are some janitors specifically for that, with others for that other tasks you mention.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. futuremathsprof

Oct 14, 2018

But we do it because it is courteous to the janitorial staff as it streamlines their jobs for them. Because of what we do at my school, all they have to do is grab each bag as they walk by each classroom instead of having to go inside each one after unlocking each door. The janitors say it saves them up to a hour of work because of all the rooms they don’t have to unlock — my school has over 110 employees so it would take considerable time to do it all by themselves.

10. futuremathsprof

Oct 14, 2018

Oh, I see. This makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

11. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 14, 2018

We did that for a while but then someone left some nasty soup or something in a bag over spring break and ants & roaches got into it. Admin team cut that out after that.

12. futuremathsprof

Oct 14, 2018

Ew!!! Good point.

13. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 14, 2018

If I remember correctly, there was some weird fluke where the janitors didn't pick up the trash. So I suppose that technically it would have happened either way, regardless of the trash being in the hallway or the classroom.

14. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 14, 2018

They also clean our classrooms. I don’t think they touch the desks though. It’s good because I have a lot of board space, but I use one for objectives/homework that has a permanent do not erase sign on it.

15. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 14, 2018

No, of course not.

But cleaning up glass and sweeping or vacuuming daily are different things.

16. futuremathsprof

Oct 14, 2018

I thought you meant not cleaning up in *any* capacity.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 15, 2018

The original post has been answered and the topic has COMPLETELY shifted. I am closing this thread. If you wish to continue the discussion, please feel free to do so under a fresh topic.

Aces likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.