Math mistake on another teacher's board.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Oct 4, 2018

There was a math mistake on another teacher's board that I wanted to tell the teacher about but I did not want to embarrass her.

It showed 22 divided by (1/2) = 11. At the time when I noticed, there were other teachers present so I didn't say a word........If others had left, I probably still would have said nothing..... (Perhaps I just answered my own question!!)

What bothered me was that it was incorrect. If it was the teacher's work, that's one thing. If a student wrote that, and it wasn't corrected, that's still bad.

Question is as follows: Should I have pointed that out? And if so, how could I have done it without risking embarrassment?

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 4, 2018

I would probably just make it light "uh oh...looks like a little type-o".Or "My students mess up dividing fractions all the time!!! How do you explain it to them?"

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 4, 2018

I spelled the name of our school wrong on my board the other day. Mistakes happen. I'd gently have said something similar to the above comment.

Also, dividing fractions is so hard to understand. Like, I know how to do it, but I struggle with visualizing what I'm doing. I don't hold those mistakes against anyone.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 4, 2018

On a side note, I'm teaching dividing fractions soon and we are using fraction tiles so the kids can picture it. I like to think of it as "how many one-halves fit into 22?"

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    czacza and otterpop like this.
  6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 4, 2018

Or "If you cut up a four-inch string into half-inch pieces, how many pieces do you get?"

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 4, 2018

I like this too!

Fraction division is hard. The kids are expected to draw models for everything (even fractions divided by fractions) and I know it's going to be tough. I have to do a lot of prep this weekend so I can fully understand the models. Luckily, my school has lesson plans for this unit but I have to understand them.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2018

I think of this as if someone has something stuck on their face or something - if done in a respectful way, just pointing out the mistake casually as a way to help them out would, most of the time, be highly appreciated. I'd certainly appreciate someone noting that for me, even if I might feel a bit awkward/frustrated in the moment.

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 4, 2018

I'd let it go.

Unless the person had written a whole slew of problems, all with the same mistake, it's very possible this was only a one-time mistake. It's also possible the problem was written up there and then used as a discussion point for why the answer was incorrect. There have been times when I've had a spelling mistake up on the board, and I realize it as soon as I look at it later on.

If it was a teacher I was friendly with, I might joke about it or politely ask.

A few years ago, I heard a teacher teaching a lesson just plain wrong. It was an entire lesson on something like subject and predicate and I could hear the teacher in the next room, and he was teaching it as if subjects were predicates and vice versa. In the end, I didn't say anything. It's not my business. The teacher was already under the microscope for other workplace issues and concerned about enough things. I figured it would all work itself out eventually. It did - his contract ended up getting non-renewed (not due to anything along this line). Sure, I could have said something friendly to address it but it didn't seem appropriate in this situation. Every situation is different.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 4, 2018

On the spelling line of thought, also, I have seen a surprising number of teachers with glaring spelling mistakes on their boards. Most of the time I don't say anything, unless the teacher is a friend of mine. It kind of makes me cringe.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2018

I think I’d say something when students weren't in the room

futuremathsprof, a2z and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  12. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Oct 5, 2018

It might have been a purposeful mistake-give the teacher the benefit of the doubt.

I would say something simple like-hey do you want me to switch the division symbol to the multiplication symbol or are your kids supposed to be finding the mistake?

I often write problems with errors on the board for my high kids to correct while I pull my low kids for what I call the "10 minute instant replay" (I reiterate the most important points and go over the problems we did, and why they are correct, then I give an extra practice problem that I watch them solve so I can correct mistakes immediately). I did have someone try to correct me one time-then I pointed out that the errors were supposed to be there so the kids could think critically about the problem to fix it. :D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  13. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Oct 5, 2018

One time I did have a mistake on my class rules board though-respectful with 2 l's ugh it was hanging super high and I needed a latter to get it down too. I happens to the best of us-especially when we are burning the candle at both ends and work late too often so we are tired and brain dead. If it was an accident quietly mentioning it when no on else is around is best

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 5, 2018

I would also say something privately. It's definitely normal to make mistakes. I messed up a division problem in front of my kids today (which I actually like doing sometimes as a "find my mistake" but this was accidental) and sent an email to a math teacher where I added the base of an exponent instead of multiplying! I obviously know how to do all of these things correctly but it happens!

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 5, 2018

Leave a post-it note?

16. physteach

physteach Companion

Oct 5, 2018

It isn't possible it was intentional? When I taught math we regularly evaluated problems thatvwere solved incorrectly and discussed why so students weren't just learning the "right" way but also why other methods were incorrect. I'd have been super annoyed with someone assuming I didn't know my subject.

17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 5, 2018

If I never made mistakes, I would say something. I've got bigger fish to fry than correct others. LOL I've got to proof my own work first. :D

otterpop likes this.
  18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2018

Ladder? LOL

19. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Oct 5, 2018

I keep saying I'm going to disable auto correct...

20. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Oct 5, 2018

Is this exactly how it was written: "22 divided by (1/2) = 11"?

21. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Oct 6, 2018

It had 22, then the division symbol, then 1/2, then equals 11.

She put a 1 under the 22 to change it to a fraction. The 22 and 2 were circled as if cross-cancelling occurred. Then 11/1 written. Final answer circled 11.

I ended up not saying anything. In the end, there are so many other pressing issues. I believe I did right by being quiet about it. In the end, if her students do poorly on that concept, she’ll eventually find out. I hope!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.