Math Graphic Organizers

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by toff, Nov 2, 2007.

1. toff

toff Rookie

Nov 5, 2007

Frayer Models, two column notes, word maps, these are all types of Graphic Organizers I'm looking for.

I did a Frayer of the word Proportion today.It helps some kids while other complain.

Off topic again, How many times a day do I have to hear kids say, why do we have to learn these algebra equations that we will never use in real life once outside of school?!?

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 5, 2007

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2007

Here's the answer I gave when my kids wanted to know:

Algebra is one of the few very practical courses they'll take.

We're taking the kids to Disney next summer. When deciding whether or not to take the meal plan, I was faced with an verbal problem: "Adults cost #39 per person per day, kids under 9 cost $19 per day. We're staying 6 days. Is the meal plan cost effective?" I had to take a look at the prices we would likely pay off the plan and compare them with the total the plan would cost. (And, yes, we got the meal plan.

Life does NOT present you with equations. It presents you with situations where you have to take a look at the information, organize it, and decide what's relevant and what's not. Then you have to solve the problem. That's algebra.

4. toff

toff Rookie

Nov 6, 2007

Frayer has 4 boxes with the word in the middle. Top left box is the definition or examples. For Proportion I put "ratio = ratio". Bottom left box is an example "1/2 = 2/4". Top right box is characteristics. I put cross multiplication example here. Bottom right is non-examples. I put 2/3 is greater than 1/2, diagonals of rectangles, etc.

THanks for the links and disney story!