Math Field Trips

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by alt edu, Aug 17, 2007.

1. alt edu

alt edu Companion

Aug 17, 2007

I am looking for ideas for math related field trips. My school is an alternative school and we try to reward our students for behavior and academics. Most of the other classes go on a trip almost monthly. I am trying to come up with some math field trips. Some trips from before I was at this school was golf (geometry) and bowling (keeping score). I guess I was just looking for some really cool ones to get the kids excited.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

3. CAMathMom

CAMathMom Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

I don't have any really cool ideas, but I've done a lot with visits to the grocery store since it's near the school. I've taken up to 20 kids, but don't know how well this would work with more. I've had kids work on budget projects and they test their monthly grocery bill with actual prices in the store. I've found that most of my students have no idea how much groceries cost. My statistics classes have done grocery store statistics projects with hypothesis testing based on shelf location and name brand vs. store brand.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 18, 2007

Perhaps you can arrange a field trip to an architectural firm?

5. welki

welki New Member

Aug 18, 2007

How about taking them geocaching?? Geocaching is done with a GPS- which is a real-life application of 3-dimensional space (latitude, longitude and altitude.) Teach them about map and compass reading, then move on to a GPS.
    I took my freshmen Algebra 1 students geocaching last year and they loved it. We even set a geocache out behind the school.

6. toff

toff Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Where'd you go geocasching? a park?

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007

We toured a bank about two months ago.We learned how they order the money they need each day, how the vault gets locked at the end of the day and is on a timer. We saw the attic and basement of the bank. The basdement is a bomb shelter, and the attic was the board room back in the early 1900's. My daughter even got to run sets of coins through the counting machine.

8. cristib

cristib Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

There are geocaches EVERYWHERE! Go to geocaching.com and search your area. Yes, they can be found in parks, cemeteries, commercial areas... I love geocaching, and I have been trying to find a way to use the idea in school. I thought about getting a classroom "travel bug" and mapping where it goes. (Travel bugs are tags with tracking numbers you can attach to objects. You place it in a cache, someone picks it up, logs it on the internet and moves it on to another cache.) You can learn all about the sport on the internet. Maybe we should start a "Geocaching in the Classroom" thread!

9. welki

welki New Member

Aug 19, 2007

Geocaching can be connnected to graphing, 3-dimensional space, etc. It was a stretch for me to use it with my students, but I found a way to link it to what we were studying. I love geocaching and in talking about it with my students they wanted to try it.
    They love geocaching, and loved setting one up, checking the posts on it, etc.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2007

I have done the same I made teams of 3, A Father, mother and child.
    I assign each team, education and income, age of the child and 1 or 2 income family.
    I then contact the market and ask for permission. most say yes. they then "shop" with clipboards for food for a week. One team wanted to buy over $1,000 of food! When we get back to school we discuss the pros and cons of each "Family's" Clipboard.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2007

Don't a lot of amusement parks have math and physics programs? I would look into a place that is close to you.

When you said geometry, I immediately thought of pool, but can you imagine a kid taking home a permission slip to go to the pool hall? haha.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2007

MIniature golf might do as well-- taking a look at the angles required. Or you can get one of those table-top pool tables.