Math CSETs

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by chicksmagee, Mar 19, 2018.

1. chicksmagee

chicksmagee Rookie

Mar 19, 2018

Hi all! New to this forum as a member and just wanted to share my appreciation for all other members’ posts. I used this website to try to get a feel for what to expect with the CSETs for Math, and it was such a help! I just wanted to put my story out there to help any other wandering people like me!

I took subtests I and II about 2 weeks ago and the subtest III 2 days ago. I am finishing up my BA in Economics and have a minor in mathematics. I have a passion for math and enjoy it. While I may not be a prodigy, I believe I would be able to teach it very well! Having said that, I did not find any of the three tests “easy”. I struggled in some areas. I found the subtest III to be the easiest. I used a lot of Laura Rickoff’s YouTube videos, other misc study guides, and James Stewart’s Calculus: Early Transcendentals. I probably studied on average 30 hours per test due to my excuse of working full time and going to school full time. It should have been more! I felt like I did not prepare as much as I should have because there are so many things that could be covered. I find out on the first Friday of April how I did. So fingers crossed!

My tips:
    1. You can never start studying too early.
    2. Buy Laura’s study guides. I have read great reviews and wish I would have! If I don’t pass these tests, I will buy them for sure.
    3. Breathe! You can always retake them.
    4. Lastly, make sure you understand that one concept that you don’t know very well or have forgotten because, by golly, it will be on that test to haunt you (e.g. the washer VS. shell method for me)!

Good luck to all who are testing. Also, if anyone has some more advice that would be great! I’m still studying as if I didn’t pass them; so let me know what has worked for you! :)

3. debbiecakes

debbiecakes Rookie

Mar 26, 2018

Thank you for sharing your strategy! I have a question for you about Subtest III...up to what level/course of calculus does the subtest cover? To rephrase my question- does the subtest cover all material from Calculus I w/ Analytical Geometry, Calculus II w/ Analytical Geometry and Multivariate Calculus?

4. chicksmagee

chicksmagee Rookie

Mar 27, 2018

So I took Calc I, II, and III. No information from calc III was used on this test but I and II were considered fair game! So you’ll see both integrals and derivatives. Best of luck if you end up taking it!

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Mar 28, 2018

I’m curious, I took the all three Single Subject Math CSETs back in 2014 and passed all of them on the first try, but I heard the format of the new Calculus CSET changed. If I remember correctly, then they got rid of the history of math portion?

6. chicksmagee

chicksmagee Rookie

Mar 28, 2018

Yes they completely got rid of that section!

7. Jayyi

Jayyi New Member

Apr 3, 2018

Hello! I've taken the Math Subtest 1 & 2 THREE times. I always get stuck on the constructed response questions. What were they like for you when you took them? Any advice on what/how you approached the most recent test?

8. chicksmagee

chicksmagee Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

Hi! Just got my results back this evening and passed subtest I and II but barely missed the passing score on subtest III. But I shall continue to try with that one! So for the constructed responses I had no idea what to expect. I just went through the topics that the study guide deemed was appropriate to appear on the test and made sure I knew in and out. I didn’t fare too well on them either; only getting a 4 on one from each subtest. I can’t recall the ones I had. I had to wait like a little more than four weeks for my results. I’m so sorry :/ I wish you the best in your endeavors! I remember linear algebra played a large role in subtest I for me!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Apr 6, 2018

Hey, look at it this way: You qualify to get a Foundational-Level authorization, at least, so you can enter a teaching credential program. I’ve seen people on here pass Subtest I or II and III, but they can’t join a teaching credential program until they pass both Subtests I and II... The worse part is that their whole career is put on hold until then, which sucks because they are missing out on advancing their career, moving up on the teacher salary schedule, and establishing tenure.

Anyway, congratulations!!! You’ll totally pass Subtest III next time. I know it! And since it seems like you only missed it by one or two points, then you just need to study up on those questions/concepts that tripped you up and you’ll be golden. Well done!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    chicksmagee likes this.
  10. chicksmagee

chicksmagee Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

Thank you for your positive vibes! I feel like luck was on my side to be able to get the first two out of three. I plan to retake the subtest III in summer when I have a break from my classes, and I can focus a little more. I've been working for almost 6 years in a totally different field to get me through college; I am very excited to have a switch in careers!

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Apr 7, 2018

Wow, now that’s what I call dedication!

chicksmagee likes this.
  12. chicksmagee

chicksmagee Rookie

Jul 28, 2018

Just an update for everyone: after my second attempt of math CSET III on July 6th, I got my score yesterday and passed!!!! Yay! I’m so excited because that test was difficult to re-teach myself. Now I’ve got all three under my belt. The first attempt, I did not purchase any new material but used an old calculus book, videos online, and misc free online resources but failed. On my second attempt, I purchased Laura Rickhoff’s subtest III study guide. Might seem like a steep price but I think this was worth every penny. I would say this helped due to the amount of practice problems that were extremely relevant to the test. I would highly recommend this route for anyone else taking this test! Good luck!!!

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jul 28, 2018

Congratulations! Well done! :celebrate:

chicksmagee likes this.
  14. Hpn

Hpn Rookie

Aug 13, 2018

I am preparing for CSET Math - Subtest 1. I have two questions:
    1. Is Probability included in subtest 3 or subtest 1?
    2. Good resource for the practice questions?

chicksmagee likes this.
  15. chicksmagee

chicksmagee Rookie

Aug 13, 2018

Hi Hpn!

1. You will find probability in Subtest II. Subtest II has probability and geometry which both seemed equally weighted.
    Subtest I is algebra and number theory; so think number theory proofs, linear algebra, and simple algebra.
    Subtest III is basically single-variable calculus meaning derivatives and integrals.

2. For practice, I wrote every subject matter requirement for each subtest found on the ctcexam website and marked off the ones I mastered as I went. I didn't buy any additional resource for Subtest I or II. Instead, I used Laura Rickhoff's videos on youtube as well as Khan Academy's website to brush up on stuff I had forgotten. Hopefully that helps a bit. If you still are struggling, I would highly recommend Laura's study guides. I only bought her Subtest III study guide but it provided me with more than enough practice questions that were highly related to the ones I saw on the test. It can be helpful to look at the study test and see how many questions just baffle you from the beginning of studying. Then, when you think you are done studying, time yourself and take the practice exam. However, I would say that the practice exams are much different than the actual tests. I understood a good amount of the practice questions and felt more stumped during the test.

Good luck my friend! Study fiercely and get it over with. You've got this!

16. Hpn

Hpn Rookie

Aug 14, 2018

Hmm...thanks..I am pretty much good with the concepts..but it is just the practice questions. I am trying to figure out from where to get them..so that I have a good idea of questions before the exam. I did the cset math subtest-1 practice tests on teacherstestprep..and found them too easy..as compared to the ctc sample questions. I will look into Laura's study guides too but they are expensive :-(

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 14, 2018

AP math books might have useful practice questions.

chicksmagee likes this.
  18. Hpn

Hpn Rookie

Oct 20, 2018

Thanks for the advise! I passed my CSET math Subtest 1....now starting to prepare for Subtest 2. I am not keen on teaching High school..but would like to go for Middle School Math. Do I still need to take Subtest 3 or I can get the Foundation Level Math credentials with Subtest 1 and Subtest 2?

19. chicksmagee

chicksmagee Rookie

Oct 20, 2018

First off, congrats on passing the first subtest! You do not need to take Subtest 3 for middle school math. The Foundational Level Math Credential is just made up of the Subtest 1 and 2. Good luck :)

20. Hpn

Hpn Rookie

Oct 20, 2018

Thanks:). Yes..I am starting to prepare for Subtest 2....any tips for that?....I would really appreciate!
    TIA:)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  21. chicksmagee

chicksmagee Rookie

Oct 25, 2018

Of course! Some things I would really make sure I understood before taking Subtest II would be:
    1. Triangle Postulates (proving congruency)
    2. Polar Coordinates
    3. Areas, volumes, surface areas of various shapes
    4. Combinations & permutations
    5. Least squares
    6. Chi-Square
    7. P-intervals
    8. Hypothesis Testing & Confidence Intervals

All these are found within the Math Subtest II Description on CTC Exam website. I know I studied more heavily on the statistics & probability portion of the test. Geometry is my least favorite part of math, and I was able to get through this test. You've got it! Also, I would look at Laura's math videos on youtube for guidance and whatever related videos you can find. Best of luck!