Match Card Madness

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by bethechange, Sep 18, 2010.

1. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Sep 18, 2010

So, of all the great great sk ideas, this one is my favorite. I started using it last year when most of my kids were kindergartners and here we are a year later. I remember people talking last year about how to teach/store/organize them and I thought I would share the things that have worked well for me:

[​IMG]

First of all, my living room covered with 35 new sets of match cards I made this afternoon while listening to NPR:

I always make 2 sets of the index cards and 1 set of envelopes. I find some kids do better with envelopes first, before they get the hang of the match and clip. So, if I was making a set of money/amounts, for example, I would make:

1 set of index cards with coins on it
    I set of index cards with amounts on it
    1 set of envelopes with either coins or amounts

That way, my lowest kids can match identical things, and amounts can be added in as they master. My highest kids can do coins/amounts.

Then I make a cover card for each set:

[​IMG]

I have a "card storage and switching station" in my classroom (its really just an odd little chunk that sticks out of the room - it has shelves and these weird counters that are WAY too high for the kids to sit at). There is a markerboard there detailing which skills we are targeting independently for which kids. The data collection clipboard is right beside it. Each kids has a sheet.

[​IMG]

That way it is really easy to take data at the end of the day when we take them apart.

To switch cards - I have a "checked out" box. Every kid has a clothespin (I turned them around for the picture to eliminate names).

[​IMG]

I take the top card (the label card) and clip it in that kids clothespin. That way we know which kids has which skills, paras know what to write for "skill" on data collection forms, and they are easy peasy to put away and file back in their boxes:

[​IMG]

In direct teach sessions, each kid has a box with the index card sets he/she is working on with an adult: (there is also another "checked out" box on the top of the study carrel).

[​IMG]

When data shows they have mastered the skill, the cards get switched to their independent work boxes.

For some kids, I made guides to show where to place the boxes the cards come in and one set of the cards. They do better when they can lay them all out and see them at one time:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have never felt so organized and streamlined. The match cards make it extremely easy to add new skills into the teaching and independent rotation and to ensure that kids are practicing skills at their level. They actually like going to their "offices" to do their work! It is so great. Thanks for the GREAT idea!!!!!!

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 18, 2010

Love it! Thanks for posting the pictures :). I like the template that you use when doing match cards. What a great idea.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2010

Haha- Match Card Madness - I like that. Maybe I could make that the title of my book one day. :)

At any rate, I LOVE the way you have it set up - especially the "Checked out" bin - because you know what each kid has!

Your living room floor shot really inspired me to make more sets! I will be doing that this week.

I have found this method of teaching to be incredibly motivating and successful- ESPECIALLY for kids with autism because it's so routine and repetitive. It's also easy to keep track of!

Your organization looks great! Everything looks great.

I am so glad that I was able to share this idea... I am so glad others have taken to it so well!!

It's great to see all of these pics. I just showed my husband and told him how everyone on the forum loved my idea!

I'll have to get pics of my organization etc. to show you... but I LOVE the "Checked out" thing so much....

5. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 18, 2010

On a similar note to this I wanted to say that I'm working on "filing tasks". I've taken bigger filing cards and a large file box along with the dividers and I'm making sets of things that need to be "sorted" rather than matched - with the idea of building up to filing as I have one student who is amazingly proficient at letter identification and putting letters in alphabetical order. So I'm currently making a set of color sorting, number sorting, first letter sorting but as I'm making them I'm thinking of all the other types of sorting that I can do and thinking this might grow and grow. I will package them with the file dividers and cards and then the student who is using them would set it up in their file box and do the sort.

6. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Sep 18, 2010

I also love how great it is for kids you "inherit" that come with strange and random IEP goals. You don't have to hunt down or spend tons of time making materials to assess and teach them. You can literally make a FANCY set of these bad boys in 10 minutes...(to use until you rewrite their IEP's, haha).