Master's Program that is NOT writing-intensive?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Acamp, May 20, 2019.

1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 3, 2019

Getting a doctorate is a whole different experience altogether. I'm starting my second year of a PhD program. If you thought there was a big adjustment going from undergrad to grad... that's nothing compared to the difference between grad work and doctoral work.

2. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 3, 2019

What's the difference?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 3, 2019

It's hard to explain. You move beyond synthesizing other people's research into creating your own. It's stimulating, but also stressful. The workload expectations are also significantly higher. Even my quantitative methods course, which essentially worked out to being a statistics class, had a final typed page count of 30. Every other course I've done so far has involved at least 50 pages of writing. I had one class where every week involved a five page reflection, reading over 200 pages of dense philosophical text, and had a massive final paper requirement. My specialization courses haven't been so bad... well... they've been equally bad, but the work has at least been on topics I'm interested in. It's all in preparation for the comps and dissertation. Plus on top of that, my program expects that I spend at least some time teaching undergrads and being a research assistant, in addition to my real-life job.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jun 3, 2019

Maybe they mean the difference between getting a Masters and getting a PhD/EdD?